im about to buy some turk surplus ammo

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by vmonty, Nov 21, 2009.

1. vmonty

vmonty New Member

it is stamped 1946 i read that its not to dependable. what do you guys think?

2. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I shot a bunch of the Turk 8x57 a few years back and it all went bang. I still have a can of it, but don't remember the year made. Very corrosive, so get your corrosive cleaning equipment ready.

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

63 years old, yep, better wash the barrel down with coffee before you head home to really clean her!

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

1. Get ready to clean the bore, chamber, and bolt face. Corrosive but reliable.
    2. Get the BIG bottle of aspirin- stuff is loaded hot. It WILL hurt the next day.

5. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I shoot 1949 Turk. I bought 2 cases at estate sales. No one else new what it was since it says 7.9 Ankara. $100.00 for 1600 rounds per case. Really decent ammo. It all goes bang and is fairly accurate. It is hot! All I do is run some boiling water down the bore and through the bolt and clean as usual. Corrosive ammo is no big deal, as long as you clean the same day.

6. vmonty

vmonty New Member

so i shot a few of these rounds the other day and you guys were right they pack a punch ... my girlfriend even asked me if the rounds i shot were different than the other 8mm cause the sound was so much more powerful. anyways my question now is about pressure signs... im very new to guns so bear with me.... i noticed that after the first round the shell didnt eject it was stuck to the bolt face... and after every subsequent shot i found the bolt was sticking.... on a earlier thread i was asking how to clean my bolt cause i thought the bolt on my yugo was tough to operate to begin with (i later was told by the gunsmith that it seemed smooth to him go figure) but now im more concerned about the bolt.... if i continue to use this turk ammo will i damage my bolt????

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Pressure signs. Look at the fired case, especially the primer. High pressure will flatten the primer so it no longer has the rounded edges. Very high pressure will cause cratering of the primer around the firing pin indentation. You will see raised metal around the indentation. Combine this with an oversize firing pin hole in the bolt face and you will get primer flow. The primer material will become almost liquid under pressure and flow into the area between the bolt face and the firing pin. This can "lock up" the action.

The firing pin hole can be welded up and redrilled if needed. The firing pin may be eroded from corrosive ammo. A new FP may be the cheapest fix.

Yes the Turk ammo is hot. I found it to be reasonably accurate, but not match grade.

8. jpattersonnh

What rifle are you shooting it out of?

9. flyingbrickracing

flyingbrickracing New Member

Just a thought,is the ammo lacquered steel cased?
    This sounds an awfull lot like the sticky bolt synrome the Mosin Nagant gets when shooting some milsurp ammos.

10. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

Not sure about the surplus stuff, but I've got four 20 rd. packs of non-corrosive 8mm Mauser ammo for sale if you're interested. :)

11. jpattersonnh

Turk 8x57 is brass case. The issue more than likely is if the rifle is a Turkish Ankara it could be a 1893 or 95 action. The sticky bolt is a sign of pressure in Mauser actions. He may have some hardened cosmoline in the chamber also.

12. robocop10mm

+1 on brass cases. I have never seen steel cased Turk 8mm. vmonty said Yugo Mauser. Also said case stuck to bolt face. That sounds like primer flow. Hard to open could also be primer flow in addition to very high presure, dirty chamber or out of spec chamber.

13. jpattersonnh

Sorry I missed the fact it was a Yugo. Primers and chamber are possibilities. I wonder if his pin is corroded and is "sharp". How are the forward bolt lugs. Any crude were they lock up in the breach?

14. flyingbrickracing

flyingbrickracing New Member

Gotcha, Thats why I love this forum,I 'm learning stuff all the time.
    You guys are saying that hot ammo in a Mauser can cause ejection problems?

15. jpattersonnh

A few more questions, comments.
    Does the rifle have an after market trigger?
    Is the cocking piece screwed in all the way?
    Take a black marker and color the forward locking lugs. Slowly put the bolt in the rifle and put it into battery. remove it and see how much engauged the recess. Also check again and make sure you don't have crude build up in the recesses.

Edit: pics would help

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  16. vmonty

vmonty New Member

i wish i looked at the lugs more closely before i cleaned them ... and i got to get in my girls trunk to look at the primers on the spent shells ...will report back

17. vmonty

vmonty New Member

when coloring the lugs ... what do i loo at to determine this... how much black is wiped off??

18. robocop10mm

That's a lot of junk to be putting in your girl's trunk. Sorry but I couldn't resist

19. jpattersonnh

Classic!! Well done.

Yes you look for what is worn off.