I'm a happy boy!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by c3shooter, Sep 9, 2012.

1. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Have not really done anything to splurge this summer, and just got some good news- so Friday I paid a visit to my LGS for some fun- Apologies for the crappy photos- just got this camera, and learning to use it-

Picked up a Bushmaster CARbon 15 with a Bushnell Red Dot sight. First carbon fiber firearm I have had- shoots well, weighs less than the dust in the air around it- And I think the Anarchist-in-training will like it (to the noobies- my granddaughter)

sep 12 car h&a 008.jpg

On Saturday, stopped in local pawn shop that opened this year- they just got their FFL a couple of months ago. A side-by-side 12 gauge caught my eye- the wood looked like new, metal was extremely good. We arm wrestled a bit, and agreed on a price.
    sep 12 car h&a 010.jpg

The gun is a Hopkins & Allen New Model Hammerless Double. It is a boxlock gun, and is prettier than the pictures show.

sep 12 car h&a 013.jpg

Took a little while researching it- appears that my new shotgun left the factory in August. Of 1913. It's 99 years old. Going to stop by my gunsmith this week, have him use his gauge to check chamber length (and safety) and plan to take that one dove shooting next week.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  2. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I like the AR, but I love that shotty. I can't believe something 99 years old can actually look better than a lot of brand new shotguns.

Congrats on the new guns.

3. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Very nice. Congrats.

Will that take modern shotgun loads? Are you going to have the smith check it for barrel worthiness?

4. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Hot damn c3, congratulations. For the AIT that carbon 15 will be a perfect set up for her to learn on. As for the shotty <... long ... slow ... whistle ...> that is one lovely looking firearm ;)

5. c3shooter

On the double barrel, the barrels do NOT appear to be Damascus (have had them under the GOOD magnifier) and the bores look like mirrors.

However, I have a great crotchety old gunsmith that will be getting a look at it this week, and using his chamber gauges to check chamber length. 12 g shells were not always 2 3/4 inch- very early ones were shorter.

If it is in shooting order, it will get a limited diet of some low brass dove loads- and a trip to a cutover corn field.

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Very nice!! I'm a suck for old side by sides....old over/unders too.

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Oh, man!! You hit the jackpot for sure. I am in love with that AR.

8. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

Love the side by side! Congrats on the new purchases.

9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congratulations.

I'm curious though, is the AR just stocked and fitted with carbon fiber or is the receiver carbon fiber?

10. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Nice. Don't ever take them out on a boat!

11. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Congrats, would love to hear more about the shotgun!

12. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

That is one sweet looking shotgun! The AR looks great too. Congratulations.

13. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

Looks like you had a pretty good day. Let us know how they run. Great looking shotgun.

14. c3shooter

CA- The reciever is carbon fiber- and much of the upper. Of course the springs, BCG, bolt and barrel are steel, but the rest is mostly carbon. Little metal plate inset in the lower withh the stamped SN.

These DO take down a bit differently than a standard AR- you cannot pull the rear pin and "shotgun" the upper/lower. Pull both pins, lift the FRONT, and upper and lower pivot apart on a lug at the rear. DOES lock it up good and tight- no wiggle at all between upper/lower.

15. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Very nice shotgun