I'm a handgunner........

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Bob Wright, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

I don't mean to start an argument here, just curious.

In a recent thread, a correspondent stated he was "anti-revovler", meaning he was an aficionado of the auto loader. The "anti-" sort of made me wonder, why?

I've been a handguner for a long time, counting September, 1954 as the date I became a handgunner. In this time I have shot just about every type of handgun that was safe to shoot, some mybe not so. I've owned over sixty different types of handguns, and shot most of them pretty well. Had a Luger ($49.95) once, also a Colt Gold Cup .45 ACP. Entertained the idea for awhile of becoming an exhibition shooter, shot NRA Bullseye competition, shot on U.S. Army pistol teams, smallbore and .45, have dabbled in metallic silhouette shooting, and hunting both small game and white tail deer.

I currently am into single action revovlers, and when better off financially, shot at a minimum 10,000 rounds per year.

Though my preferances lie with the SA revovler, I am not "anti" any handgun, enjoy shooting them all. Well, maybe not so much the cap-and-ball guns.

I enjoy handsome guns, good shooting, and good shooting companions.

Am I an outcast?

Bob Wright

2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I am anti-Jennings:D

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I have shot countless handguns also. I enjoy shooting most handguns. The hard kickers not so much.

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

I believe the feller in question is simply young and fairly newer to handgunning. A Padawan, if you will. It's okay. The youngling shall learn. If you notice, he already seemed to be having light bulbs going off over his head.

5. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Seriously, I like any quality made gun. Revolver or semi...I like them both. I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 mag that I really enjoy.

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

No Bob, not an outcast, just a well grounded fella that is comfortable with his past decisions.

I was one of those auto-loader snobs for years.......then I purchased a S&W M29-2 and became enlightened to the wheel-gun world. I haven't looked back and have added several DA and SA revolvers to my arsenal over the years.

I'm not anti any gun ('sept for that glock thingie) but think it's because of smart buying decisions and being blessed with the economics of affordability when selecting quality firearms.

Continue being you and you'll always continue to garner my respect.

cane

7. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

Not having read the original post in context, I have no facts to base my opinion, but here it is (1)

The correspondent used anti-revolver to indicate that he was opposed to the revolver. "Opposed" as being opposite, or opposition- as to the "other side", hence autoloader. I am not sure he (2) meant that they should be outlawed or banned.

Words have meanings, Words have connotation, Sometimes words are used accurately, sometimes not.
    Sometimes words have multiple meanings, It's amazing that we communicate as well as we do.

--------------------------------
    FootNotes.
    1. Opionions based on fact are certainly the most accurate.
    2. Again, my usage of the word "he" is inclusive. I was born in a simpler time.

8. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

@Bob, I think a lot of the younger shooters only have experience with only a few guns that they think are the best. They are big fans of these guns. The absence of touring factory teams that were popular a few years ago has lead them to be fans of guns instead of a particular shooter. Thirty years ago I would become fascinated with a factory shooter and go see his demonstrations anytime he was in driving distance of my home. You don't hear about touring shooters coming to a nearby range anymore.

9. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Well I look at S&W handguns that have a dash after the Mdl. number as a radical new handgun. The younger shooters are embracing semiauto rifles and handguns. I am amazed at the scorn they have for revolvers. It is just the change in generations. The people who make and sell handguns are marketing more semiautos. If it were not for the Cowboy Action which is fadding there would be few new six guns. You are having a "Rip Van winkle" moment.:D

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

Hey now.... I'm a young guy still, and I was always a revolver man, except while in the service, and until I discovered the 1911. I still love revolvers, and plan on getting another Smith sometime pretty soon.

There's still hope for us young farts yet. ;)

11. Garadex

Garadex New Member

I think revolvers look better than semi's but have sadly only shot semi's. As to rifles I like manual actions better, makes me concentrate more on each shot. And I'm only 17, bring it on tactical snobs!

12. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Im a rifle person, just because all the handguns I want are so expensive... :(

Military 1911's are insanely priced... Seen a .357 Mateba the other day, but it was $1300, If I woulda had the money :( :(

13. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Years back I had access to my Brothers Colt Python - everyone who shot it, loved it - me included. Now they are ridiculously expensive.

While high mag cap is a lot of fun to shoot - it doesn't mean much if you can't hit anything though. A bud prefers revolvers simply because he can hit things w them. (late 40s)

SW 686 or larger N frame 627 w 6" barrel is more affordable but needs the services of talented gunsmith to even approach the smoothness of a Python.

14. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

My next gun is going to be a Ruger GP100, but for now I have autos:(. I like shooting anything, there's nothing I dislike about guns!

15. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I'm anti-anti's. I figure if someone is anti anything its their loss. Oh, and its not an age thing. I have two teenage sons and they love anything that goes "BANG"! If it is something they haven't fired before then so much the better (well, maybe excepting the Casull).

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Bob, you're definately not by yourself in your opinion. many of us grew up starting with shooting revolvers, and as we go older, migrated to semi-auto pistols. though i own more semi-auto pistols than revolvers, i still enjoy shooting them. i can pick up a Colt SAA or copy of one, and remember watching John Wayne or Roy Rogers in western movies. and who can forget Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry, with that huge Smith & Wesson 44 Magnum!

17. TaurusUserPT92

TaurusUserPT92 New Member

I'm with Vikingdads sons if it goes bang I'll shoot it. Gunning is a lifestyle and there's always someone trying to make a click within a lifestyle

18. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I'm just anti anti gunners-
    My motto----
    If it's got a cork i'll drink it - If it's got a trigger i'll shoot it - If it's got hair i'll ride it - If it's got a tune i'll dance to it ;)

19. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

Hey Hoss,
    What if it has a skirt?????
    Hahahahahaha

20. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

First firearm I ever shot was a revolver, stubby 357, have shot a 44mag a few times since, don't like them at all.

I hate their awkward handle angles. Have always hated their aesthetics, very unapealling to me. A single action revolver requires WAY more work to shoot than a single action semi-automatic.

I collect guns not just for personal protection, but, and moreso, for the fun of shooting. Revolvers are not an ounce of fun to shoot, for me, thus I am anti-revolver, as a personal choice.

This doesn't mean that I turn my nose up at those that do enjoy them, its a personal preference thing. I understand that they tend to be more reliable because of some of the same things that make them less interesting to me. I recognize their validity and worth in personal protection. But none of this changes my experience with them, nor what it is I'm looking for when I want a gun.

Hope this helps clarify what was meant.