Illuminated reticle suggestions......

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by Steel_Talon, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Well my eyes have finally given up the ability to pickup the cross hair for bullet placement in lowlight / spot light (red/green) night hog hunting at 70 yards and beyond. It's been frustrating to say the least. No "aim small hit small"

So I've come to the idea of getting an illuminated Dot or Cross hair scope, for my new pig gun . Ruger .308 Hawkeye Mannlicher. I'm not interested in spending high dollars since this is a dedicated pig gun, but will ultimately make that decision when time comes.

I need your experience please....

*What colors work best with spot lights against a pigs dark body
    *Dot or cross hair
    *Finer the dot / cross hair the better
    *Brands
    etc etc etc.

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a 30mm tube Bushnell Trophy XLT 1-4x24 with a 1 MOA illuminated red dot and a 4A reticle. I also have several Bushnell TRS25's with 3 MOA dots and no magnification. I cant tell you about pigs but they both show up quite well in dim light. Be careful about too much illumination. I have seen some scopes that light up the whole reticle and it is not a good thing. Some have an overabundance of information incorporated into the reticle which is also not a good thing for hunting. There are quite a few videos on Utube about hunting pigs and red dots seem to be preferred. Keep it simple.

3. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Thanks for the information brother. I need to keep it simple and crisp not blinding... I wonder if a Dot would be better than cross hairs. We go to Texas a couple of times a year for hog hunting in the dark....

4. johnr1943

johnr1943 New Member

Wife and I have 300++ squirrels that a 28$ red dot on a pellet gun. I have a led light for coons at night. Lights the eyes up and pop! The pellet gun is only good for 25 yards though. Helps my 70 year old eyes. :D

5. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Im headed that way brother, still be awhile though;)

6. tcr2

tcr2 New Member

I am using a weaver classic extreme 4-16 x 50mm with German #4 reticle on a Bushmaster ar-15. Also have a Hogzilla green light, setup good to see 150 yards. At dusk or dawn I set the illumination higher when darker I set the power lower. The hogs cannot detect green light it is outside their visual spectrum - the small red dot contrasts the green light very well.Am killing hogs at 60 to 120 yards so a lot of magnification not necessary just nice to have.

7. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a couple of Bushnell 'firefly' scopes. They are low tech (no batteries, switches, or adjustments), not expensive, very reliable. The lower power 1.5x4 are GREAT hog scopes.:) I would highly recommend them your 'hog' hunting.
    Hope this helped.
    Jim

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  8. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Thanks Jim, Good suggestion and had decided on that line. However my gunsmith buddy gave me a NCStar MKIII with illuminatedblue reticle and red laser. Now my Ruger Hawkeye w/Mannlicher got this bad *** hillbilly operator look to it.:cool:

Its mounted on a weaver rail with a weaver quick release. Plus I have a old Weaver scope for it also. So I'm pretty happy

9. antikythera

antikythera New Member

It was explained to me that a red/green reticle might become harder to view as we get older. Hawke developed a blue reticle that looks pretty neat. =)