Illinois Law: Proximity to a road?

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by PrimePorkchop, Jan 9, 2012.

1. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

I've looked through the DNR website and the Illinois State Police website, and I can't find anything this specific (does not mean it doesn't exist ... )

Basically my friend and I are building a gun range on his property that basically sets in the middle of no where...but obviously there are country roads nearby.

What we're wondering is if there's a law that anyone might know of that states you have to be X number of yards from any public road/highway to discharge a firearm?

Obviously you can't shoot from the road, or shoot over the road, neither of which will be a problem...just curious on proximity.

2. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I've never seen anything like that. In fact, hunting the ditches during pheasant season is pretty common.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Contact the NRA (Ummmm- you ARE a member, right?) and ask for the folks in their range section. They can give you some pointers on building a range, safety distances, and backstops.

4. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

I'm not aware of any state law, buy I know counties that do have such laws. I'd check with the state, county and local authorities.

5. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

As I recall from the Hunter's Safety class that I took last year with my son, you must be inside of the private property that skirts the roadway. So if you have the shoulder of the road and then a ditch which is public property and then a fence or other boundry, you have to be inside of that fence. You can then shoot in any direction other than back towards the road. This includes parallel to the roadway.

6. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Here in CA you have to be a minimum of a million miles (OK, that's an exaggeration) it's 100 yards from a dwelling (which includes your pup tent and possibly your sleeping bag rolled out on the ground). You cannot shoot over a public road or over a body of water.

It depends on precisely where you are shooting.

7. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

LOL :D
    Ohhh CA...at least you can CC there :cool:

Also, yes im an NRA member, i'd be ashamed if I wasn't. Lots of people have confirmed what I thought to be true, so im going to go with that. It's a *VERY* remote location to begin with, the likelihood of anyone coming out there in the first place is ... slim. But i wanted to make sure any ways.

I really hate it when the law can't just spell it out for you. They should do for the law what the food company did for nutrition labels...just make a simple, yet effective, glance-at-it-once style fact sheet that tells you all you need to know about a specific topic.

Illinois Gun Laws:

In Illinois, we think guns are bad for you, so we must stress you keep their use to an absolute minimum and use sparingly.

Recommended Daily Dosage: 15 rounds per day or less. Consult an over priced physician.

Concealed Carry: 0
    Grenade Launchers: 0
    Automatic Weapons: 0
    Minimum Distance from the road: 0 (as long as you're on private property)

But with simplicity like that, it'd abolish the need for lawyers...and where's the fun in that?!

/end sarcasm

But w/ it being Illinois, i'm always cautious in those grey areas where it's just because you can't find specific information about something, doesn't mean some liberal gun nazi didn't bury it under stacks of legal jargon only to be found by the most top paid attorneys.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  8. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Just make sure you have a good backstop, such as a big pile of dirt or thick steel, and put piles of dirt along the sides of the range. That should avoid having somebody's car or house (or animal) a mile away get hit by a wild shot.

9. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

here in AZ, its a half mile from the road..

10. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

Anyone know about homes. I may have a farm to hunt but I don't remember the distance I have to be from a home. I thought I was told 300 yards? I'm in lake county.

11. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

That is right. I remember that for sure. We had a Conservation officer come to the Hunter's Safety Course and he explained that if there was a complaint, they lazer range find the distance to the nearest house. I you have a person within 300 yards that doesn't want hunting in the area, they can shut you down.

12. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

IIRC, 100 yards from an occupied building seems to come to mind. It was probably 10 years ago when I looked that up, so I may be mistaken. If you Google Illinois DNR hunting regulations, I'm sure you'll find it.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  13. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

There are two different categories when considering hunting near a house. (In Illinois)

With a bow & arrow or a shotgun with buck shot, game loads, etc (anything but a slug) - it's 100 yards away
    With anything else hunting - 300 yards.

14. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

Okay. I looked everywhere and couldn't find anything. So bow plus spread shots 100 yards slugs 300. Thanks.

15. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

Also 300 if you're shooting .308, .223, .22, etc. While it doesn't include those rounds specifically, you can still legally hunt with those rounds in Illinois provided you're hunting smaller game (coyotes for example)

16. gwk4667

gwk4667 New Member

One loop hole in Indiana law. Getting a shooting range approved is almost impossible - - - but a "Public Recreation Facility" falls under approved in any rural area. Then in the description of a public recreation facility it may have any "recognized sport" and while “shooting” is not recognized trap, pistol and rifle and many other individual events are.

This really pissed the local zoning board off! My lawyer basically told their lawyer to go piss up a rope!

17. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

last i knew the only guns allowed for hunting was shotgun and black powder. i know a lot of people use bird shot for squirrel and rabbit.

18. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

You can use a .22 in a lot of instances, and you can even use a .223 for Coyotes in Illinois.

Then there's handguns (i dont think there's any limit on what handguns you can use during the handgun season)