illinois hunting questions and is what i am doing legal?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by beastmode986, Jun 27, 2012.

1. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Ok so i have been wanting to get into hunting lately but due to multiple thing i cannot hunt with a fire at the moment( I gotta wait for my aunts boyfriend to buy a gun he has his foid already). But for now i wanted to hunt small game (rabbits,squirrels,certain birds?,etc.) I would eat certain things but if i can hunt pests i would do that as well. I own an air rifle that is pretty dang powerful and i put a 4x32 scope on it the box said it was detuned to 700fps but it is still pretty powerful. I would use that to kill small game of course i would only hunt things i know i can kill, i dont want to wound anything and have it suffer. Now here are my main questions
    what do you guys think of me using my air rifle to hunt?

I usually shoot at a public field about 2 blocks from my house (i live in a suburb are not ****cago.) Whenever i shoot there nobody complains. People usually walk there dogs and play sports at the beginning of the field but i go farther down to shoot. I have shot my potato gun there and some homemade air rifles and my pellet guns and nobody ever complained. i use a dirt hill as a back stop. The whole field is about 2+ acres and seems at least 100 yards long and 75+ yards wide. I am wondering if it is legal for me to shoot there? there is also an are farther back that has a bunch of trees, brush and a small stream. is it legal to shoot and eat certain rabbits or squirrels seen there? If not what do i need to do and where do i need to go to legally hunt small game?
    I did research but couldent really find anything on hunting with pellet guns.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  2. 44ablast

44ablast New Member

Your best bet is to talk to a game warden, last time i checked it was still illegal to hunt game birds and animals in the flat lands ( Illinois ) with an air rifle. Black birds weather common or red wing are a big no-no , your gun and $$ will go by-by and possibly future hunting privileges if you get caught shooting them. Be smart and safe , check with your local DNR.

3. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Well, you're now a criminal because of the spud gun.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

For starters- hunting is still hunting, whether with a firearm, air rifle, boomerang or an atlatl (look the last one up :p)

You need to start with the Youth Hunter Safety course- link: http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/safety/Pages/HunterSafety.aspx

None of us can tell you from long distance that you have a SAFE and legal spot to target shoot. Certain birds may not be hunted with ANYTHING (Songbirds are high on the last in all places I know of)

I use a 675 FPS air rifle (a 5mm Sheridan) and it is adequate for squirrel sized animals up to about 40 yards. What make/model are you using?

Now go read what is in that link, and follow up on it. Otherwise the game warden will have your air rifle in the trunk of his car, and you in the back seat, on your way to see Mom. :eek:

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I believe what you are doing is illegal. Just because no one complained (so far) doesn't make it okay. Are you in Cook County?

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Air rifles are legal to take small game in Colorado. But you still must have a hunting license to hunt in Clolorado. I can not speak if the laws in Illinois. Because I don't know them. Hunting near residences is almost always illegal.

7. winds-of-change

This is what made me post what I posted above. He lives in a suburb of Chicago. He is also 14 years old.

8. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

In Colorado youths may not hunt without an adult until they are 16. I would guess that is probably pretty common. You are probably old enough to take a hunter safety program. That is required in most states before you can get a license anyway. If I were you I would simply go to a Dept of Wildlife office and ask. They are usually very very very pro youth when it comes to hunting. My small game license was something like $40. My 13 year old son can get one for $1.75!!! Yea, thats right $1.75.

9. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Well lets see a detuned air rifle???? Shooting in a public field??? An 14 yrs old, I shall be blunt here, dammit kid keep the damn pellet gun at home, only go out with an adult over 21 to a SAFE LOCATION SUCH AS A RANGE, or you may find that hunting is not in your future due to criminal charges. Please listen to us

10. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

ok thanks for the advice im shooting a crosman phantom.I will try getting a hunting license and such

11. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

get a copy of il hunting regs and spend several days figuring them out(grew up there been gone 20+years)then set yourself up to do it correctly. dont know if the leo will give a pass to a kid with a bb gun like in the 60s

12. krisko09

krisko09 New Member

That, and, everything is illegal in Chicago.

Except for possessing small amounts of marijuana (as of yesterday).

13. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Hunter Safety The Illinois Hunter Education Program consists of a minimum of 10 hours of instruction. The educational material is based on a sixth-grade reading level. These courses cover the basics of hunter responsibility, wildlife conservation and identification, firearms and ammunition, field safety, wildlife management, first aid, archery, muzzleloading, and state regulations.

Persons completing the minimum 10 hours of instruction and successfully completing the final examination will receive a State of Illinois Certificate of Competency and a graduate patch.

WHO MUST TAKE THE COURSE

On January 1, 1996, a State law was passed that anyone born on or after January 1, 1980 may not be issued a hunting license unless:

•1) they present a valid Hunter Education Certificate of Competency issued by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Safety Education Division, or
    •2) they present evidence he or she has held a hunting license issued by the State of Illinois or another state in a prior year.
    Many states are now requiring adult hunters to furnish evidence of having completed a Hunter Education Course prior to issuance of a non-resident license.

TWO WAYS TO TAKE THE COURSE

Instructor-led Classes

The traditional and preferred hunter education method is through a 10 hour instructor-led class and demonstrations. Classes may be a few hours a night for 2-4 nights or a full weekend class. The final class will end with a test to pass the course. Interested individuals may call 1-800-832-2599 or check List of Education Courses by County

After the above you will need to purchase a hunting license but because you are under 16 you will not need to purchase a habitat stamp and you will also need to hunt with an adult until you are 16 yrs of age. You will also need a FOID card if you have a gun in your possession . As far as the potato projectile goes your now Illegal . I know this we had 2 of them confiscated 10 yrs ago . :(

14. orangello

orangello New Member

I am sorry that you aren't growing up in the semi-rural Mississippi of the 1970's & 80's, like i did. I had local "woods" within walking distance and enjoyed my pellet rifle there.

Things have changed some even in semi-rural MS. :(

15. gogogopher

gogogopher New Member

Hi!
    I live in down state Illinois but am pretty sure any kind of hunting in Cook county is illegal:(

You definitely need the hunter safety course and it would be great if you knew someone to mentor you at shooting/hunting.

IDNR (Illinois Dept of Natural Resourses) has a great web site and I believe a program that pairs youths up with hunters. Kind of like a big brother program.

Its great that you want to pursue hunting and shooting as a hobby but PLEASE do it safely and responsibly, In the long run it is way more fun.

16. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

you have to 1 have the hunter course, get the license and depending on what an air gun would be considered you cant shoot within 300 yds of a house or building. i am currently looking up if you even can hunt with an air riffle. the only thing you may be able to hunt is rabbit. i havent seen squirrel seasons on the dnr site for a while. so first even figure out if you can even hunt with that air riffle. from my knowledge of our lovely, you can hunt with a shotgun. then find a place you can hunt. northern ill, finding a place to hunt for what you want to hunt is the most tricky part. that plot of land you are shooting at could be privately owned and if thats the case you are breaking the law being there right off the bat.

17. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

i just got a crossbow, also im taking the course now.I wish it was the same as the 70s and 80s like in the stories my dad told me. He used to shoot his friends ruger in his basement. of course there dad was extremely strict on safety. thats how my dad is to.

18. krisko09

krisko09 New Member

Unless you are disabled and have special permission by the DNR it is illegal to hunt with a crossbow in IL.

You should really go the the illinois DNR website and download the pdf of the hunting regs and just read up. IL has a LOT of technicalities that you will want/need to know. (Like the shotgun 3 shell limit :rollseyes: )

Or just PM me or another fellow Illinoisan with whatever question u may have.

19. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

You better check this out because its going to happen and crossbow will be open to all not just disabled or elderly when it passes. I dont like it and I will continue to use my compound bow but the state is looking for some $$$$ and this will help fuel the fire for them .

Illinois HB 4819 is a bill that unanimously passed the house on 3/29/12 and has moved to Senate. This bill removes the crossbow limiting language which currently exists in the Illinois Wildlife Code (the current language limits the use of a crossbow to those over 62 and those that are handicapped), and thus the passing of this bill will allow crossbows in the IL open archery season.

The bill was scheduled for a first reading at the Senate today and picked up a Senate Sponsor.

Please contact your IL senator or the Senate sponsor and express your point of view. A link to the bill is below - Thanks for your help.

After a month of debate, HB 4819 was assigned to the Agriculture and Conservation Committee, where it was passed on May 8.

As this issue of Illinois Outdoor News went to press, the bill’s fate was still uncertain. Those opposing the changes said a compromise was likely.

“We were instructed to reach a compromise with the bowhunters, DNR, and Sen Forby,” Chapman said. “Crossbows wouldn’t get the full archery season, but they would get something …. each side gives a little. It is our understanding that the DNR will unfortunately support this bill.”

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  20. winds-of-change

That is something I would never allow. Damn!!! :eek:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012