Illinois Governor at it again

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by mkett39, Aug 4, 2012.

1. mkett39

mkett39 New Member

2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm not familiar with the Illinois constitution, but can a governor amend a law without the consent of the legislature???:confused:

3. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

yep

What the hell were the people of Illinois smoking when they let that one through? :eek: :(

4. Rarity

Rarity New Member

It really wasn't hemp lol

5. locutus

If "amendatory veto" suggests changes in a bill, wouldn't it then go back to the legislature for re-vote before becoming law????:confused:

If not, the governor would have dictatorial powers, and I would be surprised if the federal courts would allow that.

6. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

7. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Bingo .... "tell him what he's won Johhny ..... that's right, a fabulous set of steak knives!!!" :rolleyes:

it's been that way since 1970 .... somehow I don't think the Fed's give a shit about Chicago corruption .... take a look at how they are operating now :cool:

8. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Very often the wrong laws are written for the right reasons. Im sure in 1970, the people must have been confronted with an out of control electorate and decided to give the governor the power to fix it. 10 governors later, the laws still on the books and can be used by any and all in the mansion to rewrite the legislation they sign the way they want.

They do the same thing differently at the federal level. If The POTUS knows he lacks support, he can just decree it be done and/ or extend and amend current legislation to fill the gaps until they can get a solid majority. They havent passed a single budget in Washington since GW left town.

Amend, extend, revise and threaten to shut down the whole damn system but they will not fund the operations of our Gov the way we in our homes must, with a friggin budget!

9. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

"Amendatory veto" comes from the IL Constitution of 1970. The IL legislature
    has three options.
    1. Confirm the governors action by a majority vote.
    2. Veto the governors action by a 3/5 vote.
    3. Do nothing: The governors "amendatory veto" becomes a dead issue.

10. mkett39

mkett39 New Member

Yes it will go back for a vote, they return Aug 17. People always say vote them out however, The Gov. was elected by only 2 or3 counties. Those being in the Chicago area. This is where things really need changed is in the way votes are counted. You figure 98% of the state (county wise) did not want him but because a couple of the chicago area counties have such a high number on the electoral he wins. Absolutely Idiotic.

11. locutus

It seems to me that if the original legislation passed with a strong bi-partisan majority, you should be contacting your legislators to influence them to vote to override the governor.

If that fails, I think a good lawyer could get this so-called "amendatory veto" overturned in federal court.

12. clem_

clem_ New Member

Nothing in Il.is ever going to change till a law is passed to allow HONEST PEOPLE to start carrying guns.

13. locutus

It will change if you can get a good lawyer to persuade a federal judge to order it!:cool:

14. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

Yes in fact the author of the bill has to approve the changes before it can even be brought back for another vote.

I've written on the contents of this bill and shown how Quinn can use it to imprison we Illinoisans for possession of a freaking AIR RIFLE

Noddablog.blogspot.com

This is just Quinn abusing his power to play political games in anticipation of his reelection campaign.

I'm two years he will say "I was going to sign such and such bill but they refused to put it up for a vote"

I'll admit that the majority of us in Illinois have set out in our election process... Too many people blame Chicago and take the lazy way out of the debate by claiming their vote does not count

Those people are awake now and will be joining the rest of us in the next election... It'll be a massive landslide loss for the liberal Chicago democrats in 2014.

You know the ol saying never mess with a mans car? That goes triple for his guns. Quinn just pissed off the wrong section of voters. We are the majority and we will show it this coming election

15. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

I hope you're right Prime, I really hope you're right.