Illinois conceal carry fingerprinting

Discussion in 'Illinois Gun Forum' started by Jimski, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Jimski

Jimski Member

I'm taking the phase 2 class and range qualifying this weekend and was wondering just how much time the $40 optional fingerprinting saves in getting the permit approved. The $40 fee could buy a lot of ammo. I figure that the big rush to get permits should be over by now so not that many are applying. Anyone know?

2. AmPaTerry

AmPaTerry Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

Tennessee requires them, so I did not have to decide -

Remembering that IL government fought HARD to not have permits at all, and that they say the permit process can take 30 days longer without prints, I would send them in - because I would absolutely believe that your state would sit on your application for the full 30 extra days without them.

I used to live there, and am quite familiar with Cook county wagging the whole state to it's will - -

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

How can it be optional? Either they need the or they don't, right? :confused:

4. AR10

AR10 New Member

You sure it is not the SOC number that is optional?

5. Jimski

Jimski Member

It's optional. I found this at there FAQ site. Under how long will it take.

"Upon receipt of a completed application, including fee, the ISP shall issue or deny the applicant an Illinois Concealed Carry License within 90 days, provided the applicant submits a full set of fingerprints in electronic format. If fingerprints are not submitted the ISP is granted an additional 30 days to complete a manual background check. In all cases, law enforcement agencies will have 30 days to file an objection once an application is received."

https://ccl4illinois.com/ccw/Public/Faq.aspx

I'll probably bite the bullet and shell out the $40 for fingerprinting.

6. AR10

AR10 New Member

I cant believe fingerprints are optional. How interesting.

7. mikeboj

mikeboj New Member

Applied without prints, got card 108 days later. Everyone in the class applied without prints so I don't know how that compares to submitting prints.

8. Jimski

Jimski Member

Mike, how long ago did you apply? How many were in your class?

9. AmPaTerry

AmPaTerry Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

We are dealing with IL here - the LAST state in the US to even ALLOW a CCW.
    I lived there during the time that they wanted to bring in a state income tax.
    They sold the idea to the taxpayers by telling them that this would replace the personal property (NOT Real Estate, but PERSONAL PROPERTY) tax that was so hated. We bought that big lie, and voted in the state income tax.
    The next year, sure enough, we had BOTH taxes to pay!!

Then when we left, we sold our home there and bought out of state.
    Six months later, they hit me with capital gains tax (state, not Federal) on the amount we sold our place for - since we did not re-invest it in IL!!!
    PLUS, they hit me with a penalty because I did not pay it when we sold!!!

Lousy stinking state that I wish my folks had NEVER come back to!!

I beg forgiveness of those that still live there and like it -

10. mikeboj

mikeboj New Member

I applied later part of May. There were 12 in the class, all neighbors on the same street. We all got permits in a three day span.

11. Jimski

Jimski Member

Thanks Mike, I think that if my class size is small, that would indicate a slow down in applicants and I'll not get the fingerprinting cause they should have time to process my application without draging it out to long.

12. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

yall must have a great block party!! :D

13. beaniemac

beaniemac New Member

from what I read, it can save you 30-60 days in the waiting process. mine took 111 days without prints.

14. Jimski

Jimski Member

As it turned out the fingerprinting hardware wasn't working so I went without the prints and got it in about 100 days.

15. Newman31B

Newman31B New Member

Worst state on the face of the earth just move on over to Missouri

16. byxlaw

byxlaw Member Supporter

Humbly disagree. NOT the worst. My educated opinion...

17. Newman31B

Newman31B New Member

Yeah mines pretty biased lol not trying to offend anyone. I just don't really care for Illinois I've been there plenty of times. I Do love fast Eddies how ever, have you ever been there?

18. byxlaw

byxlaw Member Supporter

No problem, did not see you remark as offensive. Actually, IN or WI are closer... Not been to Eddie's, do not like to dine out (I enjoy the Wife's cooking the most).
    To stay on the topic, a friend of mine said it took him about a month or two to get his w/o fingerprints (original f/p did not come out right). That is the fastest so far... hard to believe, though.

19. Newman31B

Newman31B New Member

I got my approval letter in less than two weeks lol St. Louis county