Illinois carry????

Discussion in 'Illinois Gun Forum' started by dempsey77, Aug 2, 2012.

1. dempsey77

dempsey77 New Member

What's the deal with Illinois, did they just approve conceald carry? I carry legally in Indiana, and know I couldn't carry over to Illinois, am I now able too?

2. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

This is the actual picture of Illinois gov.

Attached Files:

3. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I haven't heard any word of the law changing. I wish it would. I'd gladly visit chicago but only with my .45.

4. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

As far as i'm aware, no, this hasn't, nor will it any time in the future, change

5. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

No you can not carry in Illinois.

6. scottmac

scottmac New Member

And you wouldn't want to visit anyway (ignoring the crime and violence, flash mobs and random shooting in all the "gun free" zones) ... you'll never leave with your wallet intact; they tax till it hurts on everything, especially downtown. Water bottle surcharges, "to-go" packaging surcharge, whether you walk out of the restaurant with it or not (think ... QP w/ Cheese in a cardboard container), parking is $30+ / day, with ~12 of it being the first hour, entertainment surcharges, rental surcharges, taxes on taxes, service fees, taxes on service fees ... stay out of Chicago and Cook County in general ... it sucks, especially for tourists (I live in Cook, moved out of Chicago).

And, you cannot carry in Illinois. Not concealed, not open. There is a "loophole" that allows something like a fanny pack with the gun in one chamber and the mag (or speed loader) in another, but don't expect many cops to respect it before they confiscate (and melt down) your weapon. IF the charges are dismissed, you're still out a gun.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  7. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

We can only dream.

8. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

I actually agree with this. I've lived in Illinois most of my life ... it's not good here.

We have the 5th highest rate of Homicide in the country...and even though we have, hands down, the strictest gun laws around, 75.2% of our homicides are committed with a firearm.

Don't visit. Don't drive through. Do what most truck drivers do and drive around...it'll take longer, but you'll be thankful for it.

9. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

This is very true. I try to avoid Cook County. I live in DeKalb county, Illinois but my Dad lives in Cook and I spend a lot of time with him lately. The price of gas jumps about 35 cents a gallon the minute you enter Cook County. It's terrible. And the City of Chicago is almost out of the question. When my kids were young I'd take them to the wonderful museums in Chicago but now that they are grown, I don't go to Chicago very often, if ever.

10. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Good choice. When I lived in the south side all you see is people walking with shirts 5 sizes to big , pants to there knees speaking obnoxious ghetto talk. Its not safe , a friends dad was stabbed while taking out the garbage and it almost peirced his lung,an old couple was beat with a brick to death,my brother was shot at on Halloween,people break into houses,steal etc.

Dont forget you have to pay to park everywhere! My dads line of work is in the city and He said he spends over 1000 a year or more.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  11. glockaholic

glockaholic New Member

No the Illinois government is commi bastards and don't allow carry unless your law enforcement. Makes me sick, if I lived there I would cowboy it up.

12. gvw3

gvw3 New Member

I live 40 miles from Chicago. I never go there. I live in Cook county but buy nothing here. I drive a few miles to DuPage county as the sales tax is 3% less.

I can't blame anyone for bypassing Chicago or Illinois. The taxes are a real killer here.

13. Corndork2

Corndork2 New Member

There is no talk of the law changing, however the District Attorney in McClean County (Bloomington Normal) has publicly stated that he will not prosecute those who carry in his district. That does not mean you cannot be arrested for carrying, however, it does mean that he will not take the case to court. A District Attorney decides which cases to prosecute and which cases not to. Being as the police will most likely not approve of carrying, regardless of the DA's attitude, I wouldn't recommend it.

14. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

There's been a lot of action, especially last year, at this point all it really takes is a Governor worth 2 farts in the wind and we might see some light at the end of the tunnel...

15. Corndork2

Corndork2 New Member

You're right, but I've been in Illinois all my life and have seen multiple governors indicted. Not holding my breath for a decent one..... :(

16. Corndork2

Corndork2 New Member

Although I would openly support a good candidate... but alas, I should not be rude and divulge my political ramblings!

17. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

Sounds like we're on the same page anyways..."we" had it in the bag last election...but too many of "Us" set at home and said "Chicago decides our politics for us, my vote doesn't count"

and thus, it came to be. (Self fulfilling prophecy)

So since then i've made it my personal goal to knock some sense into everyone I run into on a daily basis that says that. (im not saying you said that...just stating a personal mission of mine in passing) :)

Chicago decides nothing "For us" they just want it more than we do. That can easily change.

12.9 million people in Illinois

5.2 million people in Crook County (Of which, 2.7 million reside in Chicago)

"We" are the majority. "We" just have to start acting like it :D

18. sirbergersworth

sirbergersworth New Member

I live in the St. Louis Metro Area and do a lot of business across the river in IL. What if I unload, remove clip and leave slide open. I leave them locked in a case under seats (vault with cable).
    Is this enough? My boss said he also puts a cable lock on his. I drive a single cab fill sized truck so a trunk is not an option. Should I make sure it's under passenger seat instead of drivers side?

19. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

fixed it for you =)

Just check out FOID law

and this is from the Illinois State Police

But I caution you, this is Illinois, the land of the dumbest people in the entire country.

Not even the Illinois State Police are all in line with the law, and some of them even get it wrong, as we all found out from a fellow member from this very forum when he was denied the sale of ammunition at a Chicago area Bass Pro Shop

FOID Law says Bass Pro could have sold him the ammunition, but the Illinois State Police told Bass Pro they better not do it. So, instead of listening to the law, they chose to listen to the police.

Pretty sad. Be careful in the land of Stinken.

20. sirbergersworth

sirbergersworth New Member

Thanks a bunch! Locked in a key loled safe seems like it wouldn't be readily available considering I would have to shut the vehicle off and use the key on my key chain to physically unlock vault case.