Ignition for new muzzleloader

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by Scratchammo, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

I'm in the process of building a .62 pistol. I've port fired huge charges from it without any ill effects on the barrel. My current setup is with model airplane glow plugs, they work fairly well but only for so many shots. After that, the plug either becomes too fouled or it burns out.

I'm curious as to what else could be used to ignite the charge without priming (that means no flint or caps). Would something like a spark plug work?

Please don't make this a safety lecture, I'm well aware of the dangers of black powder.

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Not sure about the purpose of this but I'm sure model rocket ignitors would work.

3. magnumman

magnumman New Member

How about a grill igniter?

4. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

a spark plug would work and could likely handle the pressure but would foul very quickly. plus they are designed to run with thousands of volts

5. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Basically to reload as fast as possible. Rocket ignitor sounds interesting, but I'd probably have to replace it after each shot.

6. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Like a piezo? I could try that.

7. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

I'd probably have to use Triple Se7en then. My idea is to wire it to a stun gun.

8. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

A buddy of mine has a Volkswagen ceramic glow plug to let me try. May or my not have terrible lock time, I'll try a few expiriments when I get it. Will be timing the delay & cool-down. Anyone here familiar with automotive glow plugs?

9. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Tried the a Bosch Platinum 4 with 777, didn't work :(

I'll try it again with real black priming powder.

Haven't got the ceramic plug yet.

10. ofitg

ofitg New Member