If you wanted to get the most accurate rifle and set up you could get what would you

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by ccase39, Dec 7, 2013.

1. ccase39

ccase39 Member

What would you choose? Just curious as to your thoughts.

2. Copeman60

Copeman60 New Member

Is this a long range project. If so I would stick with the 308 for 1000 yards an closer. 1000 to 2000 yards I would go with a 338 lapua!! Anything out past 2000 yards I would go with a 50bmg, 416 an the granddaddy of them all the 408 chey tect.

3. hq357

hq357 New Member

I would probably choose a cheytach intervention with the electric scope that tells you every calculation

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

depends on too many variables. hunting or targets? what distances? what level of accuracy is a person trying to achieve?

hunting you would need energy at the longer distances for a clean kill. this usually means larger and heavier bullets. for target shooting it only needs to hit the target and energy isn't as critical.

distance is a huge factor. long distance hunting, i would say to limit your longest shot to the distance you can hit accurately at, each time you pull the trigger, whether that be 300 yards or 600 yards. targets again are not animals, so a miss is just a miss and is not a big deal. but a miss on an animal could mean crippled or wounded animal that you mght not find, which IMO is unethical and unacceptable.

level of accuracy depends on whether you are hunting, shooting for bragging rights or trying to win a match. for hunting, refer to the last paragraph. that again covers accuracy for hunting as well. for target shooting, it depends on whether you are shooting and wanting to hit a man sized target at 2000 yards, or trying to achieve a one hole ragged group at a 1000 yards in competition.

cartridges. there are many cartridges that are accurate at long distances. some can be gentle to shoot all day, and some can leave your shoulder sore after a few shots.

5. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

Barrett .50 caliber or something in .338 Lapua

6. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

7. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Sean: that looks very much like the Rifle In 338 Lapua that my Friend has.....I have seen his Hits on an outdoor Long range, engaging targets at 800, 1000, and 1200 Yards....

8. seancslaughter

yeah it is a beautiful piece of work. I shot an older model AI in 338 LM in Iraq when testing firearms for the Squad Designated Marksmen program and let me tell you 1,000 meter shots with this thing are a cakewalk damn near any rifleman is able to pick this thing up and at least hit a man size target at 800 meters with absolutely no training, but Uncle Sugar determined it was too much gun for the SDM program.

9. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Is this also about an ar15? Most accurate for what needs. Is there a weight limit or class rules?

10. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I'll just stick with all the rifle's that I have as well as the one I'm building.
    They are all as accurate as I need them to be,or at whatever range I'm shooting them at.

If you can't shoot excellent at 300 yards,you have no need in trying to shoot further until you can!

11. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If the goal is just to find the most accurate rifle, I'd probably second the AI in .338 LM. Currently holds the record for longest range sniper kill (and a double at that) from a British sniper. But I'd say the guy behind the trigger, along with his spotter had more to do with the results. But the rifle was definitely repeatable with accuracy past a mile and a half. First kill took a few shots to find range and windage holdovers. Second kill was a single shot using the same holdovers.

12. seancslaughter

followed by another shot that disabled the machine gun itself!

13. SSGN_Doc

Yes that too.

Not a really affordable rifle, not really practical for plinking at the range and getting skills up if you don't have them. Wicked expensive ammo. Not real practical for shooting at short ranges either, but the OP didn't ask those questions.

A super accurate match grade .22 bolt action is an awesome place to start, followed by a great bolt action in .223 because of the volume if shooting you can do for price, while focusing on mechanics, wind, light, mirage effects, etc. then when you have learned a lot on those platforms you can pick the next caliber for the kind of shooting you really want to focus on. It may be a 6.5 based cartridge for bench or 1000 yd competition, or a super sniper round and platform. But often tightening up the nut behind the butt stock is the best investment.

14. Axxe55

and most of the people who get to get good with rifles that shoot very expensive ammo are in the military and don't have the same ammo budget constraints as a civilian shooting the same rifles!

even reloading, the 50 BMG and the 338 L.M. are still expensive.

15. greydog

greydog Member

The most accurate rifles are built for short range BR competition. The second most accurate are those built for 1000yd BR competition. The third most accurate are rifles built for 50 cal BR competition. Next would be dedicated "F" class rifles, followed by the so-called "tactical" rifles. Out to 1000 yd, in calm conditions, a good 15 pound 6BR will shoot ten shot groups of 6 inches or less. A real good one willshoot into four inches or less. When it comes to bigger cartridges and longer ranges, the 50 BMG can be shockingly accurate with precision ammunition and sub-1/2 MOA at long ranges is not uncommon from the 50 Cal BR rifles. GD

16. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

17. Axxe55

the Cheyenne Tactical rifles are pretty expensive rigs. about $11000-13000 for the rifle.

they used one in the movie "Shooter" with Mark Wahlberg. it was the one he used to shoot the can in the first part of the movie.

18. seancslaughter

yeah but they have the computer that plugs into the scope and automatically adjusts for range and environmental factors

19. Axxe55

that $11000-13000 is just for the rifle. no scope included.

20. SSGN_Doc

Pretty.

Not the absolute in accuracy though. Dared and somewhat fragile optics. But truly great in its day.