Votes: 6 46.2%
  • 3. Situational

Votes: 6 46.2%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went shopping with my wife this afternoon. I noticed several people open carrying. Much more than I normally see.

While I was sitting in Texas Roadhouse with SWMBO a guy open carrying walked in and sat down and the question occurred to me "If I had to choose between Open Carry and No Carry what would I pick?"

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went shopping with my wife at Walmart this afternoon. I'm noticing a lot more people open carrying around here lately.

While we were walking around Walmart a random thought occurred to me, "Why do most of the people I see open carrying look like people I wouldn't want around me with a gun?"

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
AZ was open carry since statehood in 1912, and CCW in 1992. I carried openly for many years, and we found every legal loophole to disguise the gun and keep it low key, not like idiots who wear a shoulder holster outside, so you can see he's armed from every single angle!
If CCW vanished and I was back under those rules, I' go back to doing what I did, but I'd probably get a better retention holster than I had back then!

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
I voted situational only because there are times or areas I'd rather not advertise I'm armed. Actually, I'd rather not advertise at all, but if open carry is the only way I could do it, then it would depend on where I am going/doing. I'd say that I'd probably open carry more often than not if that is my only choice.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I went into an Advance Auto one day and EVERYBODY but me in the store were open carrying!!! I thought I might be in the middle of a police raid or something.

Honestly I usually don't carry, open or concealed, but every so often I get a feeling and conceal carry. I don't open carry unless that's the only option.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I very rarely conceal carry anymore and have never been a fan of open carry except when I do "brush work" around the property - I do, however, have console firearms in my vehicles and strategically placed firearms around the house (I didn't "vote")

·
Retired
13,965 Posts
Sorry for not voting, but I did not see "concealed carry".

IMO, open carry is like showing how much money is in your wallet.
That's my business and I don't like to advertise.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
If a person lives where many commonly open-carry then you are just one of many.
If a person lives where almost no one open-carries then you would stand out like a sore thumb.
Around here many open-carry so it is no big deal one way or the other. So many are armed that if you do not see a gun, you just assume that person has it concealed.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Here in Indiana we just started constitutional carry & I have yet to see someone open carrying.(other than police or security)
The only time I open carry is when I'm hunting & that is because the pistol is too big the conceal.

·
Premium Member
6,810 Posts
Myself: I will never again go unarmed, unless absolutely forced to (ie, surgery in a hospital and the like). Not worth it to me.

Preference is for concealed, though I'm okay with openly carrying.

Reactions: armoredman

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
I see folks here in PA open carry semi-frequently, but I eouldn't say I see a lot of people all at once open carrying, just a person or two ever now and then. You can be sure, though, a LOT of people here carry concealed. PA is very easy to get your CCW, just walk in and get it provided you pass the background check.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Open carry has always been legal in Alabama ( at least as far back as I can remember). But I have never open carried. I feel like it makes me somewhat of a spectacle or possibly a target. I'd rather be stealthy. I rarely see open carry- but do on occasion.
I have a couple times seen a guy in Walmart or some other store with a gun on his side- but what is sometimes unusual about these sightings is someone will stand in the entrance-way with their arms crossed - obviously and intentionally exposing the gun on their side. What is that all about? Is this a 'bad boy' wanna be trying to exercise his rights- or a nut job seeking attention? Desiring for everyone to know he was carrying was glaringly obvious.
I am pro-carry, and I carry everyday. But I do not want anyone to know- at least until they need to know it.

·
Premium Member
8,014 Posts
I went shopping with my wife this afternoon. I noticed several people open carrying. Much more than I normally see.

While I was sitting in Texas Roadhouse with SWMBO a guy open carrying walked in and sat down and the question occurred to me "If I had to choose between Open Carry and No Carry what would I pick?"
And your answer is??????????????? ;) Me, local/in county/area I do open carry as I have been told by the Sherriff that the more people see me carrying the better. But if I go 'urban' I CC. Point is, there is a place for both!

Reactions: Southernguns

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It occurs to me that if something happened where everybody had to open carry and there was no more concealed carry it would be semi common to see people open carrying and it wouldn't be the big deal that it is now

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
It's not that it's a big deal, it has to do with the idea that anyone or everyone around you in a public place can see it. It shouldn't frighten anyone (but it does), but the idea that you mark yourself as someone definitely armed and potentially makes you a target. The theory is sound in my opinion, but at the same time there are a few factors that would have to all come together just right in order for that to happen.

If my state allowed open carry, but did not allow concealed, then I would do it, no question, so perhaps the the difficulty level of acquiring a CCW might help dictate it as well.

Still, I would rather see people open carrying than no one carrying.

As for all the "show offs" and all that, yeah, there's all kinds of people out there. Some who probably shouldn't even own a gun, much less carry one, those who feel all "manly" and need to let everyone know what a man they are, those who visibly become upset when they see someone carrying and everything in between....but still, I'd rather see people armed than not.

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Depends on where I am and the community customs of the location. Rural area where I live has like zero violent crime. Farmers and hunters might have a pistol on them at times, but 99 out of 100 don't have one you'd see unless you knew what to look for. Travelling inside Missouri, I'll have something. Gassing up at truck stops, quick shops are where I know predators are most likely to be my problem. Ever so often, we want to go in a store, restaurant, etc. with a "no weapons sign". So, what to do? Not go there? Wait outside while wife shops? Go back to the truck, stash it? There's no one answer for everyone.

Go across the river into Illinois? It goes in the trunk. One more reason not to go to Illinois.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts