If you had one fishing rod for the truck what would it be?

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Scratchammo, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

This is my 2nd fishing thread. The barrel net works wonders. Now I'm looking into getting a new pole for spoonbill, bass, catfish, bream, etc. Just one pole to do it all. Also, what reel should I use?

2. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

A 6-61/2' Ugly Stick, medium power spinning rod. Spend more on your reel than rod. Spinning reel with instant anti-reverse an good drag control. Jmo.

3. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Awesome thanks. What brand of reel?

4. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

There are so many ranging in price from about $20 to several hundred. I would look at name brands with the most bang for your buck. Meaning the most bearings with the instant anti-reverse and smooth drag for the money you are willing to spend.

5. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

6. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Shakespeare Ugly Stick, Shimano 4000 RA Sedona reel with 4 or 6 lb. line.

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

what about line? Do you want a basic mono like Trilene XL, a fluorocarbon or a fancy braided like Spiderwire.

I tried spiderwire and didn't like it because it didn't hold knots very well was hard on guides and have way too much memory.

8. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Mono is what I use 80% of the time. I like Trilene XT. Fluro has a smaller diameter but much less stretch. There are times for super lines but every day fishing isn't one of them imo.

9. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Not to jack the thread.

But I tried bunches of other lines from XT, Stren, Big Game, Spiderwire, spiderwire mono, and many others.

I found that for my fishing Bearkly Trilene XL worked the best. XT was good for horsing big bass out of cover but I like Ultralight rods and reels and it had too much memory for me.

Now Skull how often do you change out your line? When I fished every day I was changing it out each spring now I don't think I have changed it in 4 years.

10. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

On my specialty rods/reels I change it out each season. My basic ones for messing around in my pond, I don't change it until it gets weak or frayed. When I fished tournaments I changed it every two tourneys or so.

11. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

12. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Is your avatar a tournament pic?

13. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

No, just a good day on Lake Erie.

14. jungleman

jungleman New Member

Are you intending to go on a fishing trip, or want to pack a rod and reel for an extended camping/walking trip where you need as little as possible to carry.

Jungleman.

15. orangello

orangello New Member

16. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Ok for a truck combo.

17. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

my "in the truck" setup

diawa spinmatic 5' ultra light rod
    pflueger president ultralight reel- 2lb trilene test

3pc pflueger 8' fly rod and reel, 4 or 5 wt line

and a handfull of flys, little spinners, spoons, crankbaits, jigs, and pink mr twisters....

with all the trips i've been making in and out of cabelas and bass pro shops for various shooting supplies, i knew it wouldnt be long before i picked up this fishing pastime again.

much cheaper as long as i dont cast into the weeds to much:)