if you cvould only have one firearm

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by shooter57, May 18, 2011.

1. shooter57

shooter57 New Member

I'm sure this has probably been done before but if it has than this one is for newer members like myself

So I was watching Red Dawn not too long ago and got to thinking about what kind of firearm I would want in a SHTF situation like that.

For those that have seen the movie.............what kind of firearm would you want in that exact same situation if you could only have one.

Me and a friend of mine both agreed that it would be a high capacity .22 of some sort. I would go with a ruger 10-22. my reasoning would be that it would be affective in taking both small game without wasting the meat and it would serve just fine for larger game like deer or elk with a head shot. The riffle is extremely low maintenance as I had one as a kid that went several years without a cleaning and it never jammed but once in a blue moon with cheap ammo .Most importantly .22 is quiet enough to not give your position away unlike larger rounds. in a gorilla warfare type situation like that survival would be more important than winning a fire fight IMO

an 870 12 gauge with a wide selection of ammo would be my next choice

2. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I agree that for one universal firearm, a .22lr rifle fits the bill. I do not agree that in a SHTF situation that taking large animals with a "head" shot with a .22 rifle is a good idea. Heck in a survival situation, large game killing is not needed until you are in a settled longer term situation. Jmho. The .22 is, however, a great choice for taking smaller game and edible varmits, which is more of a survival type action.

3. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

military wise mosin nagant or AK, russian still use the 7.62x54r for sniper rifles. But just to survive I would grab my Remington 870, I always have a stock pile of ammo for it from slugs to squirrel shot.

4. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Ar-15 or a Mossberg 500 and a wide selection of ammo.

5. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

This has been a thread a while back but it's good to reintroduce. Gotta go with my Mossberg Cruiser with Choate top folding stock. It's the one weapon in my arsenal that I'm most confident for making cold lifeless corpses.

6. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Id still have to go with my M47 Medusa... I can scavenge just about any round in the 9mm, .38, .357 range and ina pinch I can shoot 30 carbine, .351 SL, .32, .32 mag, and even .22 jet... :p