If you could create one from scratch...

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Spad2137, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Spad2137

Spad2137 New Member

If you had everything needed to start from scratch to custom make your own caliber (money, tools, knowledge, etc) what would you create?... Varmint? Target? Large game? Handgun?

2. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

3. Truthfully, there are so many cartridges extant now I don't see many places for additions.

For instance, I already own a Remington 541 (I think) .22 long rifle caliber rifle, a Ruger M77-.22 Hornet' and a Remington 700 in .22-250 Remington. What other .22 caliber rifle would do what I can't do now?

About the only thing I can think of that would be 'useful' is a modernized version of the .35 Remington round; in a modern semi-automatic rifle. And that's been done - the .35 (or 9mm) x 39 round. It's the 7.62x39mm Russian (AK47) round, necked up to (take your pick) .356 or .357 to use 200 grain bullets designed for .35 Remington. One could re-barrel a Ruger Mini-30 and have no other parts to change; the bolt and magazine would work as issued. One could do the same with an SKS or AK47 semi only variant and have a cruder version.

When I was much younger, I thought of a .25/.45ACP round. Neck down a .45 ACP case (probably have to use .308 Winchester cases and do substantial trimming and neck reaming) for use in a longer barreled and shoulder stocked version of a Government Model. The idea was based on the modified P-38 Walthers used in the "Man from U.N.C.L.E." television series. However, the whole design would entail manufacturing an 'any other weapon' under the 1934 National Firearms Act provisions and then not be very utile for much more than looking cool. Then again, a 50 grain FMJ .257 bullet at 2000 f/s would be a heck of a penetrating round.

So I don't see much need for new cartridges. But I would be interested in an M1 Carbine sized device chambered for 9mm Winchester Magnum - with a heavier bullet. For that matter, an M1 Carbine chambered for .40 S&W, 10mm or .45 ACP would be interesting.

4. JigSawer40

JigSawer40 New Member

I liked the idea of a 45 acp necked down to 40 but that's already done.

It's called a 400 Corbon.

Also there's a thread going in some other forum with the same question and I said a 9mm necked down to 30 caliber. That was done too.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i think OldManMontgomery pretty much covered it pretty good. with the calibers and cartridges available, it would be really hard to come up with something that either hasn't been tried before or something that works better than whats already available.

instead of trying to come up with something new, i would rather see some of the older, less popular and obselete cartridges make a comeback. l would like to see them in more modern firearms and different types than they were originally chambered for.

6. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

explosive cluster munition rounds ;)

7. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

How 'bout 7.7-06? (For a sporter Arisaka of course!) :p

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Trez, that could have potential. i am sure that 7.7 Arisaka ammo isn't the easiest to find, and probably not cheap either.

30-06 brass necked up to a 7.7mm. custom reamer and posible bolt face modification. i see it as possible.

9. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

Why not just do what P.O. Ackley did and Improve older designs? Look at the .270 AI or .22-250 AI and how much he really improved them.

10. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

7.7 Jap brass can be made from .30-06 brass..
    Just ream the chamber with a 06 reamer maybe? :confused:

11. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Your 22 question I can answer and it will surprise you-its a 7.53 wildcat. Take a 7mm rem mag and neck it WAY down to .22.

12. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Trez-it already exists. Its a lazerone cartridge......one of the few that isn't a belted magnum. The title escapes me at the moment but ill find it.

13. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

I would like to make some custom Zombie/ demon ammo. I was thinking 45acp because amost everyone has one and it readily accessable.

I would like nickle cases for the bling, hollow point filled with fresh roasted garlic and topped and sealed with silver dust to seal it and moled in the tip would be a cross in the silver seal.

That would be the perfect defense round for any Zombie or Satanic creatiures. :)

14. Spad2137

Spad2137 New Member

Hahahaha id pick some up, never can be too careful these days...

15. oldpapps

oldpapps New Member

At first my thoughts were, 'Why?', what's out there works well and has been refined over the years.
    Then I got into the thought.

Keeping it simple, I will go only with pistol rounds.

For hunting with a pistol, a large fat heavy bullet traveling pretty fast meets my criteria. That sounds like a .44 Mag. And a revolver handles all sorts of loads indiscriminately.

For self defense, a large fat, but not so fat that magazine capacities suffer, medium weight expanding bullet at reasonable velocity out of a solid auto loader, is my standard on need. That is a .45ACP or to a lesser degree a .40S&W.

Yes, there are several other existing rounds that can or could meet the above requirements but this is what I'm working with.

The .44 Mag is actually .429/.430... The .45ACP is actually .451/.452... We will split the difference with a true caliber of .440. Two cases are needed. One being a longer heavy rimmed version for use in a revolver. The second being a shorter rimless version for use in an auto.
    Chamber up your favored revolver and auto loader for the appropriate case. Load up 180 to 200 grain SWC to 1000 to 1200 FPS for the auto and what ever you want for the revolver. Utilize the same concept as the 1917 Colt/S&W revolvers for .45ACPs, use 'C' or 'O' clips, the 'moon clips', in the revolver.

The premiss is or was 'custom make your own caliber' and that is mine. In reality, I'll stick with my .44s and .45s and .40 cals and deal with non interchangeable ammunition. After all, what we have has been and is continually being refined. I'm please with what is out there.

Be safe,

16. Nickwashere

Nickwashere New Member

Would this help against people possessed by bath salts as well.. I live near miami