If you a gun owner....Share your Experience/Story

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by TrangTuan, Aug 13, 2013.

1. TrangTuan

TrangTuan New Member

Howdy,

Well if you ever have the same story like me, you should share one too. So unlike people in my family, every dimes i save up i dump it all in weaponry, But that not my problem, the big problem i have is not the spending like crazy on weapon but the problem i have is which to spend on.

Like for example, I go to a gun store looking for a good long range rifle so without any question i purchased it in a blink of an eye. For the next couple day i went out shooting a few time and cleaning it, i just think it over, "I like a rifle that can reach out about 1 mile, Loud, Tactical." But why the heck i keep oing what i'm doing right now? Instead of spending it on something like this i can just dumb it into a nice rifle like a savage 110ba.

Well so far that is my problem, tell me yours?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I use to have an excited feeling when purchasing a firearm.

Now a days, it is almost like drudgery. Trying to find the special niche for a new purchase is getting hard.

I am almost tempted to sell everything and start over.

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I enjoy buying new guns and shooting them a lot. After I blow a grand a week on ammo for a month or so my wife will put a stop to it. If mamma aint happy no one is happy.

I would imagine most families have the same form of checks and balances. Otherwise, there would be no male shooters left. We all would have starved to death by now because we wouldn't buy any groceries or stop shooting long enough to eat anything.

4. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

i have a few dilemmas i struggle with as a gun owner.

1) i love guns, i love so many varieties, platforms & styles....then i start thinking well i have a lever in THIS caliber but not THAT one. this love came a bit later for me, i didn't shoot very much as a kid or teen....only the last 5-7 years have i truly been gun nutty.

2) my funds, like most, are limited and i can only justify so much w/o picking up an extra job....which i have considered :D....when i mention getting an extra job to feed my obsession, my wife always says "don't do that, just buy it" as she would rather have me home as much as possible i guess...yeah, i'm that hot. but i have been pretty damn poor at points in my life...so slapping hundreds of big ones down at once always invokes a slight panic in me..:eek:

3) this one is the WORST. i simply DON"T need most of my guns. i'm not currently hunting or competing in shooting events....every gun i have is an overly expensive plinker more or less....:eek: i ALWAYS struggle with this dilemma the most....i do feel every red blooded american should own one pistol, rifle, and shotgun....but beyond that.....its just an expensive habit that makes me happy.

5. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

good point....my wife has to force me to spend money on clothes and items i truly NEED. otherwise, i'm like....nah, i could save that $$$ for a gun or ammo. :p

6. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

My problem is I hate spending large amounts of money all at once. I'm a tightwad. I like to save my money for............I don't know.

7. JW357

JW357 New Member

My problem is I get these ideas.. Hey Hun we need a new gun. Hey Hun we need a progressive reloading press. Hey Hun we need three years worth of reloading supplies stocked up...

There's not enough money for all my wants!

8. 25-5

25-5 New Member

How could you not know? Everyone else does! So, just plan your trip to the LGS, and enjoy yourself.

9. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I think it has to do with my past financial situation. I was a single Mom to three kids and I scrimped every penny I could to make ends meet. What can I say? I'm a tightwad. :( I have 4 handguns and a rifle. For now, I'm happy. I would like an AR but..............they're a lot of money. :(

10. Mouser

Mouser Member

Every person I have known at a personal level suffers from one of two afflictions... Pre-decision making stress syndrome or Post-decision making stress syndrome... me, I am the pre- type. By that I mean I do all my saving, sweating, thinking, hand wringing before I blow a thousand bucks...but then, like a puffy cloud all the stress is gone and I am happily down the road to the next obstacle.

I tend to fixate on a gun or three...do my homework to determine a range of market price and look to find it at local gun stores, gun shows or even pawn shops. Every once in a while, I do see that certain gun and make a spontaneous purchase but mostly not. This issue I run into and am in currently is that I want a CZ75B in .40SW, a Sig P226 Equinox in .40 and a S&W K17 but have not found any of them in the lgs....in fact, the CZ has been on my watch list for nearly two years.

I am patient though...some of my wife's income is paid in the form of bonuses that happen every month or two...we split the money and stash it in our respective piggy banks until we accumulate enough funds for a purchase. She does frown from time to time at my obsession, but I just ask her where I can see the things she bought with her money and usually serves as a temporary fix to any heartburn she might be feeling...she tends to suffer from post-decision making stress syndrome and often times has a hard time accounting for her stash ;)

My real issue is that once I buy a gun, even if it is not quite what I'm looking for I will not sell it...someday I will have to buy another safe!

11. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

I'll give you 10 bucks for everything! :D:D

I had about 1100 bucks set back to buy a firearm or 2, I couldn't decide, a left handed Savage in .308, a Ruger 10/22 to replace the one I had to sell or a 1911? Well I dithered and next thing I know 400 bucks gone for repairs to my vehicle, still had enough to purchase one of the firearms, then my nephew called he moved to Washington state from Phoenix and hadn't found a job yet and his share of the rent and utilities are coming due, Boom, another 400 bucks gone, now I don't have enough to afford any of the firearms I wanted. :(

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  12. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I have a Big Collection,..but It's mostly Inherited from My Dad(who was a Fed and Career Army Reserve) & MY Uncle, who Was NYPD but also owned a GS/Sporting Goods/LE Equipment Biz..

My "Problem" is I want to buy it all at once!

13. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

Whatever you do, buy one that is finished. Do Not, I repeat Do Not build one unless you are willing to deal with the building addiction that will overcome you! :D

14. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

I have a pretty good collection going right now, but their is always room for another! This year the "build bug" has bitten me quite hard (4 AR's and 1 10/22). I have more AR build ideas in my head than my wallet can support.

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

my needs are pretty much covered by the firearms i have, but my wants will never be satisfied ever! there are always different ones or different calibers i want. there are some that are not made anymore that i want. ones that i procrastinated on years ago that i wish i had bought. the ones i sold that later i regretted and now would like to have them back. new one that become available that catch my interest. see my problem? there's always another one that i will want to have, no matter how many i actually have at the time.

16. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

$300? Go find a nice used 10/22. ;)

17. txpossum

txpossum New Member

My problem is I'll decide on the gun, or type of gun that I want. Then, when I'm looking for it, I'll come across something completely different and wind up buying it. I've bought about four rifles while searching gun shops for the "right" Marlin lever action in .35 Remington (which I still don't have). I am trying very hard not to add any -- well okay, mebbe a few -- new calibers to my collection, as right I have 15 (different calibers, not guns).

18. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

Wow! I actually had to sit down down and type out a list to see what all I had. My collection, or investment portfolio as I like to call it, currently consists of 12 calibers and 23 total firearms. I did not realize that I had that many!

19. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

There is an advantage of having so many firearms.

When you clean out the safe, you find one that you forgot.
    Just like Christmas! Something new!

20. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Or in my case, you decide it's time to part with some "collectibles" to put a few sheckels back in the bank and buy some other guns