If I had not seen it I would not believe it!!!

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by JimRau, Jan 26, 2014.

1. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I just got back from a gun smith friend of mine and he showed me a cartridge case he had removed from a 7400 Remington. It was a 35 Remington case which looked like a 444 Marlin, the head was nearly separated and the primer pocket was blown badly.:eek:
    The story:
    The customer brought in the gun 'locked up'. The bbl had to be removed and after great difficulty he got the bolt unlocked and removed the case described above.
    What was the caliber of the 7400 you ask??????:confused:

270 Winchester!

The bbl was clear and after a close inspection and cleaning it up it was found to be safe and was put back into service.

2. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

Maybe it was one of the "Multi-Caliber" receivers.
    With so many chamberings and cartridges, I suppose someone can find another round that will fit it.

Guess this is a good reminder for me to ensure that my grandchildren know how to read the barrel/chamber markings.

I suppose that if a bullet fits, one may think it fits.

So you say this 35 was FIRED? in the 270 chamber? Spittin' Pretty!

3. JimRau

Yes it was fired. And there was another one in the mag!:eek:
    I don't consider the semi-autos as the 'strongest' actions out there but this one 'squirted' a .358 cal bullet out of a .277 bbl with out injuring the shooter or damaging the rifle!;)

4. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

Not getting a link picture?

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The .35 Rem will easily fit. It is significantly shorterand that would prevent a catastrophic overpressure issue. Kind of amazing the bullet actually swaged down that far and exited the barrel.

I have seen .308 and .270 fired in .30-06 rifles. That leaves an interesting fire formed case, bbut no big issues

6. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

I've got a Remington 7600 that uses nearly identical mags as the 7400. mine are stamped for use with .25-06, .270, .30-06, .280 Remington, & .35 Whelen. So I could see some clown seeing that stamped on the mag & think the gun might shoot all of those :rolleyes:

7. therewolf

therewolf New Member

This is one of the major reasons I like to limit my

calibers.

At one point I accidentally tried to load 9mm into one of my

45s. It didn't work, but I saw, at that point, how easy it would

be to load the wrong cartridge.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Jim- there are people that should have "Attention Deficit Disorder" listed as "Cause of Death".

We try VERY hard to keep them away from blasting caps.....

9. JimRau

Blasting caps!:eek:
    A little off topic, but while in RVN I had my head in the small bunker where we stored our caps inventorying them when a 107 hit about 100 yds away, just out side the wire. That, my friend, is as about as close as I have ever come to crapping myself!!!:eek:

10. JimRau

That is because there is not one. Rural gunsmiths have flip phones, not the hand held computers you can make a phone call on!;)

11. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Dam !.............