If I can't get a GP100...

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by aandabooks, Mar 22, 2013.

1. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

What should I look for in .357/.38. I would prefer a DA/SA but might be able to settle for SA only. It will need to have atleast a 4" barrel.

I've been wanting a GP100 but it seems to be an unfindable gun. My one LGS as a Taurus. It would complete my trifecta with my 44 and 94. I've had nothing but good luck with Taurus.

A S&W 686 would probably be a little more than I would want to spend.

What else would be out there and you guys would want to recommend? Whatever it is will need to be able to handle full load .357 mags occasionally.

2. regload

regload Member

Go beyond what I did: wait until you find the GP, instead. You likely won't be satisfied by less, and will then berate yourself for not waiting, and in the meantime getting a lesser or more expensive firearm.
    I speak from experience, though not about the GP, which I now have. I should have gotten an SP instead of the crappy Charter Arms, instead. I eventually got the SP, so now the CA is redundant.

3. zebramochaman

zebramochaman New Member

Check gunauctions.com. You could also pick up a security six which is pretty sweet. I own both in 357 and the security six shoots as well as the GP-100.

4. Buskowski

Buskowski New Member

Where do you live? I know of two stainless steel models and a blued one at two stores in my area.

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

If you really want a GP 100, wait for one. You'll only be disappointed. Even if you do buy a great revolver you'll always want that GP 100.

6. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

Gunbroker.com has several Ruger GP100's

7. Firenailer

Firenailer New Member

Just keep looking around they are out there. The craze seems to be calming down a bit.

I was able to get a 5" GP a month or so ago, which was my first choice and I'm glad I didn't settle for anything else. My dealer had a couple of Smiths in the case last week as well so they might be showing up too.

Don't settle, wait for the one you want.

8. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I'm north of Peoria, IL about 35 miles.

9. KMO

KMO New Member

10. RUT

RUT New Member Supporter

>>I would prefer a DA/SA but might be able to settle for SA only<<

If that's what you prefer then wait for it. There's no sense in getting pushed into something you don't really want, and personally, I wouldn't settle for a S/A GP100 on a bet.

11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I was just at a local gun show and there were a number GP100's new & used at decent prices. Revolvers are being neglected and hicap semi's are marked up.

12. shouldazagged

shouldazagged New Member

I've owned both a GP100 and a Security Six. Liked them both a lot, though the Security was more compact, closer to a Smith K-frame. Like a fool I sold the GP and traded away the SS.

I'm a Smith man at heart. You might find a good used 19, 586 or 686 in your price range. My experience with used S&W revolvers has been uniformly excellent. But the GP100 is a damn nice gun.

13. kingtutt

kingtutt New Member

Check out Pekin Guns! They seem to always have a good selection. Or the Worm Ranch I'm Peoria.

14. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Used ruger police servicer six or security six. The six line is the direct predecessor to the gp100.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  15. GSpears471

GSpears471 New Member

I have a ruger speed six in the security family of revolvers. I like it very well . The more I shoot it the better I like it . The moral: Practice, Practice,Practice, I am deliberating getting some different grips for it to better hold it while shooting.

16. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Stopped at a gun store I only normally swing by once a month or so. I bought a shotgun there for my son but it is kind of a good old boy type of place. Long story short, the had many revolvers in the case but no GP100. They did have a S&W686+ for $749. 6" barrel in SS. Didn't buy it but very tempting.

They also had several Ruger Single Six Convertibles with barrels from 4"-10" for $449. And some great .44mags. I feel a strong pull to spend some money.

17. Olympus

Olympus New Member

If you can't get a GP100? I guess you'll just have to get an actual classic revolver then. Smith or Colt are really the only names I consider in the revolver world. And Korth, but that's a whole different universe.

18. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

Wow thats a narrowminded view of the world of revolvers especially considering the price tag of a quality smith or colt as compared to the price of a quality ruger

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  19. Firenailer

Firenailer New Member

That's a really good price, I think I'd jump on that!

20. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Call it narrow minded if you like, but Ruger will never make a classic revolver. Nothing changes that fact. If you want to talk price, there are tons of deals to be had on used Colts and Smiths in my area. I'm not talking Pythons, D-backs, or early 27s. I'm talking lots of very nice 686s, 19s, 66s, 29s, Detective Specials, Cobras, etc. I'm not considering current production models.

Two weeks ago, my FIL bought a 4" 686 no dash for $500. Mechanically in amazing condition but had a lot of cosmetic scratches and looked like someone had tried a DIY polish job on the gun. It took me 45 minutes with my beadblaster and it looks brand new! Call me narrow minded if you want, but a no dash 686 for $500 beats any Ruger every day of the week and twice on Sunday.