if a hunter mistakes is it than a real hunter??

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by sizir1shotguns, Nov 20, 2010.

1. sizir1shotguns

sizir1shotguns New Member

my uncle's close friend were rabbit hunting wit a dog and a friend (pump action slug dont ask me why slug) he loaden the gun ready if a rabbit jumed infront of him. well he was walking whit his gun in one hand swinging when suddenly a rabbit jumped in front of him he pannict and pulled the trigger the bullet went in his enkel (backside of his foot) he laid in the hopsital for 1,5 years hes better now . well my question is that a real hunter...... he isin't a real hunter because they dont make mistakes like that and evry hunter should held his weapon in 2 handes on his back or on his shoulder so guys what your epinion

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

He needs to learn safety before trying to hunt with a firearm.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

There are several VERY basic rules to firearm safety. My children and grandchildren learned them before they were allowed to shoot a real gun. I think that the situation you have just described violates ALL of them at the same time. Unfortunately, that is not unusual.

4. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I know of a situation here in Michigan that is not the hunter's fault,yet the hunter was severly punished.Every firearm hunter must wear blaze orange on the head and chest,and there was a girl in her 20's deer hunting,she shot a deer,the bullet either missed or passed through the animal,it then hit a tree and ricochet'ed into a hunter's blind with a hunter wearing absolutely no orange at all,she rushed to help him because she heard him screaming,but he died later.She now from what I recall cannot hunt ever again,own guns,and must stand in front of hunters ed classes many times a year and explain her "mistake".If that isn't BS what is?I know he died,I know it was her bullet,but that wasn't an act of carelessness yet she gets treated that way.

5. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

When it comes to hunting I like to error on the side of caution. I will not shoot at it If first I have not Identified for shure what I'm shooting at.. I have missed quick shots on Grouse and rabbits because I'm careful. I figure it is only a deer or only a rabbit. You can not take a shot back after it has been fired. I have been hunting for a while now and it is not as important to me to make the kill. When I was younger and had less game under my belt I can remember how I ached to get a kill and that driving force could make you make bad decisions.
    F.K.

6. nwrednk

nwrednk New Member

Hunter education...

Is what you need to attend & pass if you were born before 1975 in Idaho, In
    California every new hunter reguardless of age has to pass this course to get
    a hunting license! (This might sound rather "un-American" to those of us that
    were trained by our fathers who were veterans), & grew-up with their own
    .22cal rifle to bring small game to the table). But, nowadays many fathers
    do not know how to install a spare tire! Hunting "accidents" are rare in Idaho,
    but, in all of the recent cases... all 3 of them were born after 1975! :( My
    next door neighbor had his new roof installed just before the owner of the
    roofing company was killed by a relative of about the same age that mis-
    took him for a deer!:eek:

7. 12bhunting

12bhunting New Member

I can not say if the fella is a "real hunter" because I have never personally met the guy. I can say he made a terrible mistake that could of had a worse ending. He is lucky that he only shot his own foot.

8. Triggerman

Triggerman New Member

Carelessness with a firearm is inexcusable. First rule is never touch the trigger unless you are going to fire. That prevents most accidents. And never trust a safety. Firearms often discharge through malfunctions. I spend a lot of time on the range, and I hardly ever go on weekends. The number of fools with guns is alarming.

9. sizir1shotguns

the guy whit him said that he didn't pulled the trigger and that it shot by it self , i heard that a sks gun can shot to if it vibrates (by music or swinging)

10. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Guns do not go off by themselves. When excited, people pull the trigger unknowingly because they walk around with their finger on the trigger, a big no-no.

Rabbit hunting with slugs???? Really...... :rolleyes:

Before hunting or handling any more firearms I would suggest some basic firearms safety classes.

11. 12bhunting

12bhunting New Member

The question the op asked was weather or not a true hunter would make a mistake. I have seen "true hunters " make mistakes. In this case it does sound like the fella was careless or inexperienced. Until the lord himself picks up deer hunting there will never be a "true hunter" that has never and will never make a mistake. But I do agree that there are many fools out there with firearms that should not be allowed to shoot a gun. Do you really think the guy was in the hospital for 1.5 years over shooting his ankle?

12. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I've heard of shooting yourself in the foot! :eek: Why was his finger on the trigger? Why was he striding w/ the shotgun pointed down?

13. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

First season of the shotgun season this year, I am sitting in my stand on my property and all of the sudden I hear a shot to my left followed by another and then another in pretty close series. There is maybe a 15 second delay and then another 3 shots spaced pretty tightly together. They all sounded like they were coming from the same place on the next property over.

Later in the morning as I am walking out I see my land neighbors son (mid 20s) walking out of the timber. I head over by him and ask him how many he got. He tells me none. I asked if that was him that shot 6 times in a row. He said yes, but he didn't hit the deer because he kept losing it in the scope in the dense timber.

I just walked away without saying another word. Couldn't believe the stupidity. I might have a word with my land neighbor the next time I see him about talking to his boy about responsible use of a firearm.

14. nwrednk

nwrednk New Member

Bottom line...

Is, If you were not trained by someone that has plenty of experience with
    firearms...then at least attend a hunter safety course as that will be the
    least expensive option avaliable in most cases! In most states a hunter
    safety training certificate is all you need to qualify for a concealed weapons
    permit etc.! As the "old saying goes, the more feathers in your hat equals
    more opportunities"!!! (I still have a valid forklift drivers license for 2 kinds of
    them, a "gas fitters lic" & my concealed carry lic)!:D

15. sizir1shotguns

i know right its a bit of a challenge bud really check it out sks guns do fire from them selfs

16. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

You hear that alot around here,hunters going out with semi auto rifles with sub adequate caliber,and think that if they have multiple shots they can put aside marksmanship or hunting basics.I was taught to shoot no farther than my limit,one shot one kill and go big caliber,so even though I know it's possible to extend my range,I stay within 50 yards with a .444 or .270Weatherby magnum,you have to reilize that even though you can group 1"@100 yards on a bench,that means nothing,in the real world,in a blind,you will be lucky to group 12"@ 100 yards under stress,so let them get close to make up for your error.

17. 12bhunting

12bhunting New Member

I must be one of the lucky ones then. 12" at 100 yards really man?