Identifying a stock.

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by esharp02, Jul 23, 2013.

1. esharp02

esharp02 New Member

I need help identifying this stock. It is engraved by my girlfriends father who passed away when she was 3 so I decided to put it together for her birthday. I have no idea what it is. I need to know before I start my build.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Can we get some larger, well lit pics? If possible include full length from the side, a pic of the front end, and the buttplate area. Also include the carvings. Looks almost like a Marlin model 60 stock, or a tube fed bolt action stock of some sort.

3. esharp02

esharp02 New Member

Here are some more images I hope they help. Thank you for your response

Attached Files:

4. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Humm? No recoil lug placements, light duty wood. This is for a .22 rimfire of some sort. As posted a tube feed. Building guns around a salvaged stock is working in reverse. It is normal to choose your "Iron" barreled action first. The stock is then chose to conform to your firearm.:)

5. esharp02

esharp02 New Member

Well this gun is for my girlfriend her father carved this In 1997 but passed away when she was just a kid. so I want to put it together for her birthday. I don't really have a choice but to work in reverse.

6. Que

Que Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

all the best on this. it may help to show the distance between where the bolt handle rests and where the takedown screw hole is. I'd figure basic measurements would help track down what fits the stock.

7. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

The way I see the front Forearm of Stock, it appears to be for a 12ga Shotgun that is Bolt Action like a Stevens, Mossberg, Savage.
    The bottom trough is cut out too large for a Tubefed 22, but large enough to be for the Shotgun Tube.

8. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

every bolt shotgun I've seen has a hole in the bottom of the stock for either a magazine or that's the feed for the shotgun shells, this stock only has the trigger hole. I would also say bolt action 22, tube fed

9. sunsoutgunsout

sunsoutgunsout New Member

I know it was a long time ago, but did her family keep any of his rifles? If not maybe the family kept information on file for selling them for any reason? As nitestalker said, stocks are built around your action, so most likely he was probably making a stock for one of his rifles. Ask the family if you didnt already. Id say a .22lr maybe browning or remington?