Identifying a Shotgun: Nothing is easy

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by saputoarms, Dec 13, 2013.

1. saputoarms

saputoarms New Member

So as part of my studies I have been evaluating some friends shotguns. First one I get is an inoperative Daffini Libero Armi (circa 1956 had to get date from proof house is Brescia Italy). That was a 2 month process, which I am still making, and trying to find parts for. (hopefully Beretta FS1 parts are similar) Now another friend showed me a picture of a shotgun supposedly used in Vietnam. The receiver looks like a Remington Model 11 except....its a pump action. I can't find something like this ANYWHERE?? Any ideas. Oh and here is a pic of the Daffini.[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

could be a Stevens 520

3. saputoarms

saputoarms New Member

@Hiwall: Bingo!!! Its a Wards Western Model 30. Made by Stevens. Is it possible this firearm was in Vietnam? This is the story behind it. It is also a 20 guage. Doesn't fire, trigger wont pull, slide works, my next assignment.

4. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

Thats just neat man. Only shotguns I ever heard of being used in Vietnam was the Ithaca Pump. My dad told me stories about how some of the teams guys he was with cut them down and fashioned a duckbill to spread the shot horizontally.

5. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Kind of looks like a Investarm folding shotgun to me !...................

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  6. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

I have 2 folders and I cant recall if this was one of them but I do know the ejector is broke to hell on one of them . I keep them around and loaded as they are good for the New York Reloads , shoot it and pick up another one .
    Most are neat but not worth too much , right now anyway .
    I have a 20ga that will take you about 30 min before you figure out how to break it open , the whole trigger guard slides back to open it .
    Makes you wonder just where or how these odd ball small no name companies shot guns ended up in your hands . I am sure the stories are worth more than the guns .
    Here is a thread I started about one about like yours .
    http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/ever-heard-one-48106/

7. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

the did use stevens in vietnam also remigtons and winchesters too

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The US military in Vietnam did not use store brand guns, such as Westernfield, Revelation or J C Higgins, since they contracted directly with the manufacturers. No combat shotguns were used in Vietnam except 12 g.

In short, a Westernfield 20 g would not be a military firearm.

Arms of the US military were marked with the "burning bomb" symbol, known as the Ordnance insignia. Looks like this:

US ordnance mark.jpg

9. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

Yeah but soldiers being soldiers improvised I've heard of all sorts of stuff that wasn't military issue being used mostly involving captured weapons so nothing would surprise me

10. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

a 20 gauge would be a VERY unlikely military gun.

11. c3shooter

Yes, I have noted that from time to time.

BTW, my signature can include Major, Infantry, US Army (Retired):p

I should have said, that would not have been an ISSUED weapon. With the number of folks in Vietnam, there had to have been at least one that had a potato cannon, and another with a muzzleloader.

12. saputoarms

saputoarms New Member

He told me its a 16 Gauge. Does it make it extremely obvious to my newbieness if I didn't even know of 16 gauge?? I told him to just bring it in. I hate guessing.

13. c3shooter

FWIW- here are examples of SOME of the different sized shotshells- there are more. On the left is a 5mm rimfire shotgun shell, up to 12 g, and ignore the 2 really long shells on the right- gag items, not real.

shotshells-all-gauges.jpg

Here are some of mine, up to 4 gauge.

Guns Misc 004.jpg

14. saputoarms

saputoarms New Member

After seeing that collection I don't feel that bad, just have that much more to learn.

15. saputoarms

saputoarms New Member

Well the Italian is identified aftre 2 months of research. Daffini Libero Armi Folding Break Action Shotgun. .410 guage. I fianllly got the information from the proofhouse in Brecia Italy to identfy the year by the roman numerals on the barrel. It was built in 1960!!!! (at least the barrel was) Thanks to Mr Brumley at the Cody Firearms Museum in Wyoming for pointing me in the right direction.