Identifying a newer Remington 870

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by JeffCooper, Nov 15, 2012.

1. JeffCooper

JeffCooper New Member

Folks - Not sure how to deal with an opportunity to purchase a very affordable Remington 870. I'm not able to VIEW the gun other than via the internet/photos. The seller says it is not an Express, no markings that it's an express, etc. It says Remington 870 on the receiver, and the barrel is marked "12GA 2 3/4 and 3" 3 1/2" only with super mag reciever". Gorgeous wood furniture, recoil pad and a vent-rib barrel and bead sight. It's used but appears to be near perfect.

It is priced like an Express, but the seller claims it is not. There are no markings that lead me to believe it is. Priced less than $275.

Can someone tell me what I'm missing?? Should I snap it up??

2. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Got a pic of the left side of the receiver? It will say weather or not it's an Express there. I don't think the Expresses took 3.5's did they?

3. JeffCooper

JeffCooper New Member

A valid question - I'm not sure about that.

Attached Files:

• 870.jpg
      870.jpg
      File size:
      17.3 KB
      Views:
  4. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Here ya go.

Attached Files:

5. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I say its just a base model 870. I've got an 870 Express Magnum.

To answer your question drumjunkie, mine doesn't just 2-3/4 and 3", I could be wrong but I think the Express Super Magnums can fire the 3.5" shells.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  6. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

It is an Express. They appear to have dropped the Express moniker on some of them. ALL Expresses are Magnums whether they say it or not. Remington rollmarking is not the most reliable way to ID anything. I have not seen a Super Magnum - 3-1/2"- that did not say Super Magnum, but there may be one out there. The barrels all pretty much say 2-3/4", 3", and 3-1/2" now, but the receivers are different between the 3" and 3-1/2" guns. Remington has not made a NON-Magnum pump gun in 12 or 20 gauge in over 25 years now. The serial number should end in an M. A Wingmaster has gloss bluing and nice walnut, and that is most assuredly NOT gloss bluing.

7. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

Not a Wingmaster, those are blued.

8. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

It's an Express Super Magnum by the looks of things. An express magnum takes up to 3 inch shells and the express super magnum takes up to 3 and a half inch shells. Definitely not a wingmaster as those are blued like mentioned above.

9. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I still think it's a regular 3" Express. Of course a view of the right hand side would solve that in a heartbeat.