identify this tool please

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by heathfrankfort, May 3, 2014.

1. heathfrankfort

heathfrankfort New Member

First off i apologize for starting a new thread on this but I have exhausted all other ways of figuring out what this tool is that belonged to my late father he was in the military back in the 70's and it could be military or not. I have gone to local gun shops with no luck. The large item is some sort of oil pump with a needle and has no markings the bullet unscrews from the case and as you see has a long thin metal shaft the case is flat and has no primer and looks to be chambered in 30 06 the wooden box has no markings either. It is one of those things that until you figure out what the hell it is it will haunt you. Thanks for any and all help.

Attached Files:

2. teenahlake

teenahlake New Member

Deleted still searching

Last edited: May 4, 2014

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

that is a very old gage for determing the exact maximum measurement for bullet seating depth on a given chamber in a specific caliber.

this allows a diligent handloader to set over all length so the bullet ogive is close to the lands in the bore.

a much better version can be had from hornady

a good video explaning how its used.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCPgKNp8i7o[/ame]

the basic procedure is the same for the tool in your pick. i would recommend against using the tool in your pick as it looks like some key pieces are missing.

4. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

I think it's been answered on another forum----

Oiler and Grease gun for Shakespeare fishing reels. Apparently
    fairly rare.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

interesting you might be right. that thing in the middle looks like a cartridge. you might be right.

6. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

I know what it is. I'm just not in the mood to tell you.:)

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Problems with PMS? :eek:

8. heathfrankfort

heathfrankfort New Member

Yeah I found out it was a fishing reel oil set and indeed they are rare. Right now its on craigslist and ebay for sale because I will never use it and im sure my father would have sold it as well. I had no clue it was related to fishing seeing the bullet and grease gun made me think it was some sort of gunsmith tool and the local gun shops were as puzzled as I was. Thank you all for your help.johnjak dont be a douche ;)