Identify this shell, please.

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by NLAlston, Jul 24, 2010.

1. NLAlston

NLAlston New Member

This photo represents some of the ammo that I came about, in the aftermath of my father-in-law's passing. I have never seen this type of shell before, and would like to know what it is. I can only assume, at this point, that it is a cheap type of bullet that is mainly used for target practicing. Stamped on the bottom of the casing is 'Western/38 Special'.

Advanced thanks.

Attached Files:

2. patret

patret New Member

That is a .38 special wad cutter probably with 2.7 grns. bullseye with a 148 gr. bullet

Patret

3. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

PATRET is correct in bullet type. However the photo you posted is obviously a reloaded round so about any powder charge could be used. The 2.7 grains of Bullseye is the most used load. The square shoulders of the bullet cuts a clean hole in the paper target thus making it easier to score.

4. NLAlston

NLAlston New Member

Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Is the case steel? It does not appear to be brass or nickle plated brass. WWII vintage ammo was often steel cased because of the brass shortage. Definately a wadcutter bullet.

It looks like there is a hole in the side of the case. It may be a dummy round.

6. gandog56

gandog56 New Member

I like wadcutters. Very very cheap to reload, and they leave such perfect round holes in the targets with no tears. I probably fire 3 boxes of .38 special wadcutters for every box of full throttle .357 mag in my revolver just so I can afford the practice.

7. Josey Wales '94

Josey Wales '94 New Member

Its really not the type of shell, its the type of bullet used, you even identified the casing, 38 Special. As said its a wadcutter, and we use semi-wadcutters for .45 LC. They work pretty well.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Reloaded .38 Special Wadcutter, nickeled cartridge case. Target cartridge- as name implies, wadcutter clips neat, even hole in paper target like a hole punch (easy to score- no torn paper). Reloaded? Note the vertical lines on the case? Sizing die does that when reloading the cartridge. Low recoil target load, probably 144 gr or 148 gr bullet.