Ideas to improve accuracy of my shotgun?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by BuckHunterNY, Sep 4, 2012.

1. BuckHunterNY

BuckHunterNY New Member

I have a Remington Model 870 Wingmaster from 1963 that I need to improve its accuracy with slugs. It fires 2 3/4 in. shells. My gun has a 28 in. smoothbore barrel w/bead sight. I don't have the money to get a new barrel with iron sights. Any ideas?

2. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Yes. Practice. You'll be amazed at how much better the gun gets...

3. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Actually bead sights are really accurate and are preferred by alot of shotgunners. Practice is key, the more you shoot the better you will get,They are alot of fun too :)

4. BuckHunterNY

BuckHunterNY New Member

Yes...The gun is 49 years old and still kicking, meaning I will continue to use it on my hunts. As for practice I will probably consider adding a recoil pad. It would be great to put a 3 in. group at 75 yds.

5. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

Slugs aren't cheap. Time you put in enough practice to shoot a 3" group with just a bead you can buy 2 slug barrels. You can get a rifled choke for the 870.

6. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

The only thing to say here is practice, practice, and some more practice.

If you think you are ready put another box of slugs down range :D

7. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Most accurate smoothbore shotgun I have ever seen was a mid 60s 870 with a 28" modified barrel. And a bead sight. Was deadly all the way to 150 yards - was not mine. I did see the guy drop a deer at about 125 one afternoon. Try different slug brands. That one liked Winchesters best by a wide margin if I remember right.

8. Glock17-4

Glock17-4 New Member

Anyone have a good link for that rifled choke?

9. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

10. Glock17-4

Glock17-4 New Member

Thank you kindly.

11. slim325

slim325 New Member

Are u shooting sabots or rifled slugs?

12. Glock17-4

Glock17-4 New Member

Not sure yet. My first shotgun so I'm still getting the feel of what I need. I don't really want to buy a rifled barrel because Ill only hunt with it once a year. The rest of the time will just be target shooting and clays. Just trying to pick up a little edge is all.

13. slim325

slim325 New Member

If ur using u smooth bore barrel u wanna use rifled slugs.you will wanna try several different brands of ammo remington winchester so on.my son gun seems to like brenneke ko's the best.

14. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

What are you using for slugs ? I have a winchester with a smooth bore barrel and it shoots the remington sluggers best of about 6 brands I have tried

15. slim325

slim325 New Member

I shoot a fully rifled barrel now hornady sst sabot shoots excellent.only problem with shooting a bunch of different slugs is your shoulder

16. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Or improve accuracy even more and get a fully rifled barrel. My NEF Pardner single shot has a fully rifled bull barrel and its been known to take down deer at 200 yards.