Ideas on how to convert a straight bolt Mauser 98k to curved bolt (sniper bolt)

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by sharpshooter5647, May 19, 2011.

1. sharpshooter5647

sharpshooter5647 New Member

Hey I bought a Mauser 98k recently that has a straight bolt handle, and i prefer the curved "sniper bolt", I'm looking for ideas of ways to convert it to that.
    1. Heat bending it?
    2.machine shop bending it
    3.Bolt Handle Mauser Coversion Kit ATI?
    4. Or just replacing the bolt with one that has the handle I like?

2. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

I bent one for a neighbor by carefully clamping it in a vice, coating it with heat sink and heating it with an accetlyne torch. It came out perfect. I then ground the top of the bend and polished then engine turned it. Looks great for a bubba jobed Mauser.

3. sharpshooter5647

sharpshooter5647 New Member

Hmmmm could u tell if was done backyard style?
    And thank u, I might give that a try

4. Vearl Brown

Vearl Brown New Member

A Browning Mauser bolt will fit the military Mauser and it's already bent and polished !! Would probably head space OK too. All you have to do is find one and they are out there !!

5. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Take it to a gunsmith who has experience with bolt alterations.
    cottontop

6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

the two common ways are bending or cut-in-weld. I always did the cut and weld. Then you have a choice of a different handle also.

7. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

The K98 did not have a straight bolt, The Gewehr 98 did................

8. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

+1

Here is a stripped bolt body.
    http://e-sarcoinc.com/search.aspx?find=MSR115

Take a pic of the stamps. You may have a Polish or early K98

9. orangello

orangello New Member

10. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Does the term "sniper bolt" apply to a Mauser? I see the term
    used on Mosin Nagants---but never thought of turned down
    bolt handle as a "sniper bolt".

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  11. Vearl Brown

Vearl Brown New Member

I didn't say that any of them had a straight or curved handle. I said that a Browning bolt would fit the rifle. And it WILL !! I have replaced several Mauser bolts with Browning bolts---after all there the same thing. Using the Browning bolt is a LOT easier and looks better than about 90% of the blacksmith jobs that I have seen done and thats a fact !!

12. jpattersonnh

Hey Vearl, I don't think anyone took a shot at you, it was intended for the OP and the term Sniper bolt. Now on a side note, why would a Browning bolt fit?? I know the answer and I ain't giving it up.

13. Vearl Brown

Vearl Brown New Member

Why would a Browning bolt fit ?? Because the Belgium made Browning rifles are built on the 98 Mauser receivers. SAME fits SAME !!! If you use one you would probably have to alter the receiver to let the bolt close but they DO fit and work. I have done this with several rifles myself. MOST of the time even the head space will be OK. Vearl

14. jpattersonnh

Give that man a cupie doll. FN made brownings were identical to FN ,98 Mausers. The bolt shroud and safety changed a bit over time, but they are the same dimensions. There are a few other manufacturers that FN made rifles for that the same holds true.

15. Vearl Brown

Vearl Brown New Member

I was a gunsmith for BrowninG for 38 years ant these rifles were one of the "gun's" that I worked on. Chances are that I have worked on and shot more of these rifles than you have even seen. But then that's only MY opinion !!! The standard bolt even works in the short action Belgium .243 & .308 but that's just for your information !!

16. nulreference

nulreference New Member

there is cut and weld (make sure to keep the bolt body as cool as possible its heat trated)

cut and tap and bolt on funky conversion handle

buy jig from midway/brownells and head and hammer forge it over

cut and tap kit http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/bolt-charging-handles/98-mauser-conversion-bolt-handle-prod76.aspx

weld/forge tools http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/bolt-tools/bolt-welding-forging-tools/index.htm this page is broken somehow if you cut paste the name in the search it takes you to the items tho

17. smarquez

smarquez New Member

18. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  19. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the cut and tap methods look tacky and bubbafied. the tools for doing just one are not cost effective.

best suggestion is to find a compentent gunsmith or machine shop if you are only doing one bolt handle.