Ideas for mounting a shotgun

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by s1mp13m4n, Dec 31, 2013.

1. s1mp13m4n

s1mp13m4n New Member

Hello everyone. I have a Mossberg 500 and I want to use it for home defense. The goal is to have it access able to my wife and I but not to our five year old daughter. I would like ideas on having it in the bedroom but not have the gun seen. I thought about over the closet door, but wifey can not reach it. I also live in a rented apartment so I would like to do this with minimal to no wall damage. Thanks for the help.

2. 1411

1411 New Member

3. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Why not get a small gun locker with either a code lock

4. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

You can get hooks for clothes on the door of the closet that will hold the shotgun. They can be taken off the door at any time and unless your little girl is unusually tall for a five year old, she won't be able to reach it. This, of course, presumes that you don't leave step stools or folding ladders lying around the apartment for the little one to use. If you have long guns, you really need a safe. Especially if you live in an apartment complex. You can get relatively small safes to hold a few guns these days. Generally speaking, not securing a weapon properly is asking for the taking.

My advice is to trade the Mossberg for a reliable 9MM handgun. There are a plethora to choose from and probably even one that your wife can handle. If she's so short she can't reach a shotgun on a closet rack, then the Mossberg is probably not an ideal weapon for her to use if someone breaks in. Shooting a 12 gauge loaded with buckshot inside an apartment complex will probably guarantee penetration of the next unit if you don't hit your target.

5. s1mp13m4n

s1mp13m4n New Member

Thanks for the replies. My wife and myself own one 9mm handgun each and a small pistol safe to keep them in. The shotgun is sitting unloaded in a case on the top shelf in the closet, but it is not access able. We both have our concealed carry permits and Thunder Ranch training. I am looking for a practical, safe, and budget friendly solution.

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

That kind of assumes A LOT of info that I didn't see in the OP. it may not be a 12 ga. His wife could be an Olympic skeet shooter. They may not have 00 buck in the shotgun. And most handgun bullets will penetrate a lot of drywall, so wall penetration is not a great argument for handgun over shotgun use for HD.

7. SSGN_Doc

Well, that fills in some blanks.:D

8. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Start with dinner and a movie; maybe drinks and dancing. :p

Do you live near an ikea? They have some really neat storage products.

9. SSGN_Doc

I saw the single shotgun wall vault that covers the action, but they are over $100 and I don't know how friendly they are to the wall for mounting in a rental.

10. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I bet dango could make you one of these. Heck, I want some of these. Hey dango, how much would something like this cost?

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1388549546.513489.jpg

11. kbd512

Ok, so did you train with your handguns or shotgun or both at Thunder Ranch?

In other words, which weapon do you have the most familiarity and trigger time with?

If your shotgun isn't immediately available to you, are you going to try to retrieve it if someone breaks into your apartment or use the pistol that you have on your hip to get to your daughter?

For me, the priority would be my daughter and son. The shotgun is nice to have, but it's also a lot easier to grab than the pistol is and it's harder to maneuver in confined spaces. It is easier to aim because it's shoulder mounted, but that's about it. Regarding caliber and ammunition choices, I wouldn't load the shotgun with ammo that didn't do a better job than regular handgun ammo.

How much hand-to-hand training do you and your wife have? What would she do if someone grabbed her shotgun while she was going around a corner and looking for her daughter. Will she need a hand free to grab her child with? Most apartments are pretty small and a break in will be a surprise engagement with very little time to go and get the shotty, so what's wrong with using the handgun and disabling the shotgun (just removing the bolt or firing pin so it's kid safe) if you can't immediately use it to defend yourself with?

12. s1mp13m4n

s1mp13m4n New Member

Our training is with our 9mm hard guns. We were taught to check the guns before you carry it and also when you put it up at night. Both 9mm handguns are locked from our daughter but we can get to them quickly if we need them at night. The apartment has an alarm and is in a decent area of town. We are not worried or in panic mode, we just want to be prepared and safe while finding the best home defense solution for us.

13. kbd512

Ok, fair enough.

So, based on what you just told me if it were me I'd use the weapons I have had the training to use properly, which would be your handguns. The shotgun is something that can be retrieved if you have time, but you probably won't have time. Personally, after I have my children and wife I'm not going to go wandering around the house to get a long gun, I'm going to call the police and let them deal with the intruder.

Although I'm certain you've already been told this if you attended Thunder Ranch, the best defense is and always will be awareness and your alarms and paying attention to when you enter and leave the residence or your vehicles.

When you have time and money to do so, get some training for your shotgun. Until that time, stick with what you know.

Also, if/when you do decide to use your shotgun as part of your home defense plan, see a reputable martial arts instructor in your area who can teach you about how to disarm someone with a long gun and how quickly someone with a knife can reach you. Then you'll have a better understanding of what you need to do to stop someone from taking your gun away from you. In other words, the training you received with the handgun is great and if you have it and can employ it you should use it, but realize that this will happen very fast, with very little warning, and that someone with a simple kitchen knife can be a deadly threat inside the confines of an apartment, even to someone armed with a shotgun. So, get some hand-to-hand training to complement your handguns, with an emphasis on understanding disarms and use of knives.

I'm not trying to discourage you from using the shotgun, just saying that if it were me the first priority is my wife and kids, hence the handgun on my hip and from there if we all happen to be in the same room as the gun safe then perhaps one of us can think about retrieving a carbine or shotgun from the safe while the other watches the door. If it's just me or my wife, we're not going to try to get the shotgun or carbine while an intruder is in the house with us unless our handguns aren't functional and we can't escape from the house.

14. s1mp13m4n

s1mp13m4n New Member

Thank you for the great advice. There is a local martial arts school in the area. I will look in to that as well.

15. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Apartments have a demising wall between each unit. A demising wall is a one hour fire rated wall which is two layers of 5/8" drywall on each side. I really doubt raw lead #00 buckshot will penetrate 2 1/4" inches of drywall. Buckshot flattens out very easily. All bets are off if you use plated buckshot or buckshot made from another material beside lead. Plated #00 buck will go right through 2 1/4" of drywall. If you choose plated buckshot I would use #4 buckshot.

You need to train your child to be safe around guns. There is no device to childproof a shotgun that you can open quickly under great duress. Get your kid a BB gun. Take him shooting with you. Teach him/her firearms safety just like he/she is handling real gun. The child will also see that real guns are dangerous and leave them alone.

16. kbd512

Someone already tested your theory out regarding how much sheet rock 00 buck will penetrate:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3_2.htm

You'd be surprised at what standard lead buckshot will go through, whether #00 or #4.

I'm sure plated balls would have slightly better penetration with less deformation.

17. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

If you have a drill and a dremel, a secure shotgun mount is within your reach for less than $40. Go to wal mart, and pick up a Sentry lock box. Cut out a section of each side wall ( non hinge or lock walls) so it fits over the receiver, drill mounting holes, and attach it to a wall stud in the closet.

Some of the lock boxes come with a key lock only, some come with a key or code lock that runs on AA batteries. Pick the one that best fits your needs, do the mods to fit your shotgun, mount it, and pray you never have cause to use the shotgun for HD. Or any other gun for that matter.

As others have pointed out, get as much training as you can, and start your daughter on the road to safe gun handling skills as soon as both of you feel she is ready. My daughter fired her first gun at age 8, but she has help out with cleaning and maintaining the family firearms since she was 5. Now that she is 16, there is not a gun in this i would not feel comfortable with her handling it while hunting or on the range. Start her out as young as both of you feel she is ready, and if the SD or hand to hand training classes have a class for kids get her in it as well. One can never have too much training.

18. austin92

austin92 New Member

That looked awesome till I looked up the 380$ price tag for a 18"x9" and 900$ 52"x12". There's probably 15$ in materials there....