Ideas for homemade gun cleaners or solvents.

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by ksquared1, Jan 23, 2014.

1. ksquared1

ksquared1 New Member

Looking for ideas concerning homemade cleaners and solvents. I have seen a few I will share but would like to see what's out there. GO!

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

But the cleaners on the market are so cheap?

3. ksquared1

ksquared1 New Member

What do you think of this one.
    1 quart K1 kerosene. The clean kind for indoor use.
    1 quart mineral spirits
    1 quart dextron III automatic transmission fluid.
    Mix and store in a 1gallon gas can correctly labeled.

4. ksquared1

ksquared1 New Member

True. Most likely the ingredients for the above are more costly than store bought brand name cleaner.

5. INNOVATE-MANLY

INNOVATE-MANLY New Member

It might sound odd, but I just had a conversation a week ago with a buddy who is a sniper in the 101st and he said he swears barbasol shaving cream works incredible. Haven't tried it because it sounded crazy but if he was lying he sure he a great poker face.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

6. DIY_guy

DIY_guy New Member

Equal parts ATF and Acetone. You wont find a better penetrating fluid for breaking free rusted screws/bolts and its cheap to make/mix.

7. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

He was probably talking about the close shave he gets on his poker face.

8. INNOVATE-MANLY

INNOVATE-MANLY New Member

Haha - most likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

9. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

50/50 Shooters Choice Bore Cleaner and Kroil works amazingly !

10. therewolf

therewolf New Member

ATF straight. Just swab it in, and let it work. A great overnight solvent,

also good as a pre-clean, before you get home.

Janitor's Ammonia-mixed 1 to 2 with water- for lead or copper fouling.

Klean Strip Brush Solvent--straight-cleans normal dirt

Brown Vinegar-Straight-good for fouled bores, corrosive ammo, and very dirty

barrels

Dawn, about 1 to 4 with water

Mobil1- for when you're all done. Just a light lube.

I'm just a po' boy, I can't afford all that "9$ an ounce, like it's

your lucky day" crap...

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  11. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Member

4 parts diesel 1 part motor oil

for stubborn gunk; non chlorinated brake cleaner

12. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I came across this thread just in time. I have been thinking of growing some rubber trees to make some new tires for my truck. Any ideas on that? :rolleyes:

Seriously, don't you guys know that mixing certain chemicals together can be BAD? And like someone said "gun cleaning solvents are so cheap".

13. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

Questions and answers to posts such as this one are why I like FTF. We all know you can go out and pick up a can/bottle of generic solvent. What I don't or didn't know (love to learn btw) is some of the already mentioned ideas. Carry on...interested

14. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

An often overlooked mild solvent and an excellent non-toxic degreaser is 90% ethyl alcohol. (It is also a good paint remover, best avoided in mil-surp AK's).

15. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

And what I'm trying to say is that mixing chemicals together randomly for no reason can get you negative results; it may not work, it may start a fire, it may be a severe health hazard, it may explode, etc. And when the problem has such a SIMPLE solution, (go to the LGS or Walmart and buy a gun cleaner that you know works), why take the chance?

16. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I know of some mixtures that would be great for firearms. But I can get a can of CLP for less than $10 and CLP is so much easier to use, plus it lasts for a year or longer. Most of the lubricants I mix up are for machine work or maintaining heavy equipment.

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

we're living in the modern age of chemicals. and for the most part, there are just way too many off the shelf chemicals that work just fine and many times much better than anything we can come up with. i flunked chemistry in high school, so i don't have a degree in chemical engineering, so i leave such things up to those who do.

about the only one i will mix up is a mixture of diesel or kerosene and ATF for a long soak on something that needs it. i know both are compatible together.

but seriously, you might want to read the MSDS documents on things before mixing up something that could have some really bad results.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  18. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I don't mix anything.

All the generic solvents serve a separate

purpose.

Never got guns so clean so fast.

NO MORE all-nighter cleanups por a

mio...

19. MarlinMan1895CB

MarlinMan1895CB New Member

I'll keep this in mind as I work on old Volvos & Harleys with lots of rusted bolts etc.

An old timer I knew told me iodine was great for putting on bolts(the threaded type) that were rusted fast together/in a block.

tried it on a water pump bolt on a ford one time... worked pretty well.

20. JonM

JonM Moderator

Shush you... Why you gotta go and get in the way of natural selection???

But seriously

Dont mix chemicals or disparate fluids together looking for an easy shortcut.

All thats needed for cleaning is hoppes9 and clp. Degreasing for refinishing is a different topic and even for that you dont need to mix random stuff that grandpappy said would cure warts on a frog... Stick with proven safe products