Ideas for Displaying my Military rifles?

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by Trez, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

My military rifle collection has outgrown my cabinet, and Ive been wanting to hang them on the wall of my gun room.

I would like to figure out a way I could "lock" my guns to the wall, any suggestions?

:confused:

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

make little hooks to rest on however. on the rear hook make it to a openable/closable hook that can be padlocked.

make a small cabinet with glass doors similar to a china cabinet or hutch. simply lock the glass doors.

or make the front a full sheet of glass and make an access door on one of the sides that locks.

3. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

Any gun store will be able to get locking display cases that are made for guns. Go in and check out their catalogue.

4. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I was thinking of something like this...

Any suggestions on how to make this?

5. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

This is what I have for the front. It's made of aluminum with leather as a pad.
    I'm thinking for around the trigger, or rear stock you could do a full C perhaps use a pinning system. Use 2 peices. A top and bottom. Make one go through the other and then pin or padlock it. Could probly use a small hinge for making it movable. Kinda hard to explain what I'm seeing in my head. Hope this helps

Attached Files:

6. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

My attempt at a drawing. Think this would work really well.

Attached Files:

7. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Nice JJ!! I could see something like that working :)

8. AR10

AR10 New Member

Unless the room, is a safe, walk in vault, putting firearms on the walls, locked or not, is asking for trouble. The out of sight thing works, and swinging firearms from the wall, is inviting problems.

Lets say, a year goes by, and all is OK, what about the dust and moisture in the room? A safe, you can control who, and what gets next to your collection.

You have kids? You teach them to pick up their toys when they are done playing? Works for adults also.

9. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i apreciate your comments and pointing out good checks and balances but...

firearms are just as much a peice of art for some people. if you dont like the idea thats fine. i see nothing wrong with displaying items that we care for and take pride in owning.

as far as temp controlled... do you not heat and or cool your house? i dont see how that could be any more controllable.

is seeing a firearm on a wall any more of calling card for a perp than looking in and seeing a big flat screen tv? (which BTW are almost never locked or bolted down)or some other hanging object thats worth money?
    if you secure it to the wall well it will take a some time to get it down without making lots of noise and strength.

what about dust and touching? well golly gee most firearm owners that i know wipe down there firearm after every touching/playing /caressing session. so that is a mute point.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  10. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Considering I just have a wood and glass cabinet, anything would be a step up. I wish I could afford a nice safe or to make my gun room a walk-in vault, but I cant. I could get one of those locking metal cabinets, but if somebody has the ability to break into my house, thats not even gonna slow them down.
    I figure locking them to the wall is better than what I have now, would look neat, I have most the materials and tools to build it, so it shouldnt cost much, also, at least if someone did break in they would have to cut each gun from the wall individually, not just pry open a cheap metal cabinet and have access to all of them..

I live in Arizona so moisture is next to non-existent and my guns dont really sit around enough to get dusty.
    Im young and have no children, nor do any of my friends, my house is 100% kid free. I always have something torn apart, bayonets and knifes are lyin' about, so no I dont pick up my toys. :p

11. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I think it would be cool to display the rifles with their nation's flags behind them. Picture your Arisakas with this behind them. ;)

[​IMG]

12. srtolly1

srtolly1 New Member

Check out ridgeback racks.

13. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

Hanging guns on the wall is like saying, "Take my guns, I don't care enough about them to not advertise what I have to the criminal element. I had 2 30.06s stolen out of a rack on my living room wall. They were chained and bolted to a steel plate on the other side of a brick wall lagged into the bricks, while I went for a case of beer. I was gone 15 minutes. I came back to a hole in the wall. If they know they are there and they want them, they'll get them...

14. xring3

xring3 Member

If a person wants what is yours bad enough, they will find a way of stealing it. Safes, locks and security measures keep honest folks honest and act as an inconvenience to thieves.

15. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I was gonna hang them in my gun room, not out in the open like my living room....
    What should I do if I cant afford a safe? Those locking metal cabinets arent secure at all... (Broke into a friends when he lost his keys, it took me about 5 mins with no tools.)

As, Xring said if somebody wants them there gonna take them....
    If bolting my guns to the wall doesnt stop them, whats gonna keep my safe bolted to the wall, and not let anybody carry out the entire safe?

A couple of months ago, one of my friends came home to his safe peeled open like a sardine can, and it was one of those $2,000 fireproof heavy duty safes.. It looks like somebody used one of those concrete saws and it didnt slow them down one bit....

16. xring3

xring3 Member

Just my point....LGS is like a vault....couple of guys managed to break in and steal $20,000 worth of guns....they did get nabbed but, not after altering serial #......BTW.......they had felony backgrounds......didn't need a background check.

17. NightRaidsONLY

NightRaidsONLY New Member

Nice...haha. I think it sounds like a hell of an idea. I want to do something similar with some Pump action .22LR's that my wife inherited from her great grandfather. Ive been rolling the idea around for a while now. I really like this idea. The clamps with leather padding would be perfect. Just be sure to lag bolt them at least 2" into the studs on the wall. And Be sure to pre-drill a pilot hole into the studs before sinking the lag bolt...it's adds to the strength, versus driving a lag in without a pilot hole, splitting and displacing enough material to weak the timber. Food for thought, from a former carpenter. haha. good luck, post pics of whatever you decide to do for all of us.