Ideal size gun to carry

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by gunownerz, Oct 31, 2012.

1. gunownerz

gunownerz New Member

I'm looking at the M&P shield 9mm - it seems too big to carry. I don't want it sitting on my hip...concealed is the keyword. What do you guys think?

Any other similar style guns that may be better?

2. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012

3. gunownerz

gunownerz New Member

Thanks! I'll checking it out right now

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

check out Longballer71 (Dave) he makes handmade custom holster and is a member here on the forum. his work is awesome and several members have bought from him and many more are lined up to.

5. Donn

Donn Active Member

The Shield too big to carry? Maybe compared to a derringer. With the short mag it conceals as well as anything out there. I carry mine in either an Old Faithful or Kusiak Leather IWB. They both do the job.

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The one you are proficient with.

You can't miss fast enough to win a gun fight.

You can make a compromise for concealment.......you CAN NOT make accession to your skill!

7. SatoriNoir

SatoriNoir New Member

The question is extremely relative to your own physical size in height or weight, and based upon your apparel requirements from either the weather conditions or the social situation at hand (like during winter with a coat or at a formal party with a suit).

8. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I wont carry anywhere other then in pocket and I wear Levi 505s so there's little room for anything large. For me ideal is very small and light, like a derringer or low cal mousegun. I don't wear loose or bagy clothing and my skin is very sensitive so I can't have anything metal against it. I literally can't carry anywhere but pocket and have a gun concealed.

Now, when I open carry, I do so on belt and drop leg and as large as I've got, because I'm doing so in the woods where bobcats and mountainlion and bears can cross my path. I've usually got at least two guns on me in these situations, upwards of five. Some are just for plinking fun if I find a spot or a squirrel looks at me sideways and I hafta bust a cap in his arse, and the belt and dropleg are for protection against something large and nasty that doesn't just keep walking.

9. phildenton

phildenton New Member

From the sounds of it, maybe a ruger lcr or lcp, or a beretta tomcat (3032) 32 auto. There are other choices along those lines that im sure someone else will mention before long.

10. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Sig p238 or 938

LCP is nice but too light for recoil and I loathe DAO guns and will never recommend one to anyone unless they say specifically that they're weirdos whom prefer DAO triggers for some godawful reason.

11. CarmelPaneristi

CarmelPaneristi New Member

Agree. A sig 938 in a stoner iwb holster is about as comfortable as it gets without sacrificing a tactical advantage (9mm with a single action trigger cocked and locked)

12. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter

I do like the P938 IN 9mm.

I'm also happy after carrying this for a few days now.
    XDs 45 cal with Vega LH IWB and Pearce ext.

[​IMG]

13. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

If you are willing to pay for a high quality holster, I believe you could carry a 155mm howitzer.

I carry a 1911 concealed every day, and I am an average size (5'8"). I carry constantly and comfortably and well concealed under casual clothing. If I were wearing a coat, I think I could carry three of four of them, if I felt the need. :)

14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I pocket carry a Sig 238 in a DeSantis Super Fly. Mine has the 7 round mags. I could easily carry a 938 and have been looking at them. I want to shoot one first.

15. Shannon1976

Shannon1976 New Member

The only one that I totally DISLIKED was the flashbang holster. Don't waste your money.

16. mdauben

mdauben New Member

Admittedly I'm a big guy but I can carry a full size Glock 17 IWB with no real problem so I don't see how the Shield is too big. A good quality holster and belt are the key.

If you are looking at it for pocket carry its probably on the large size for that but the same can be said for the Ruger or Kahr single stack subcompacts. It's the trade off for carrying the 9mm. If you want a smaller, more comfortable pocket gun you need to drop to a .380 or even a .32 - .25 cal mouse gun.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  17. connectegr

connectegr New Member

Another vote for the P938. This is my pocket setup.

Attached Files:

18. gunownerz

gunownerz New Member

I'm pretty slim and 6ft tall. I don't wear really baggy clothes and so it would need to be one that would stay fairly hidden with any outfit.

19. gunownerz

gunownerz New Member

I'll check these two guns out. Thanks for the input!

20. gunownerz

gunownerz New Member

The 238 looks good! Do you carry at 4 o'clock position with this gun?