Idea for a new gun...

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by JW357, Aug 21, 2013.

1. JW357

JW357 New Member

I had an idea for a new gun a few days ago, and I really think its possible if someone puts some effort into. It might not be cost effective, or useful, but I think it would be cool.

A self-loading revolver (a semi-auto/revolver hybrid).

Basically my idea is its a revolver on the outside, but you can insert a magazine into the pistol grip. You also load the chambers like normal. So after three shot have been fired, and there are now empty chambers, the gun automatically starts feeding rounds from the magazine (in the pistol grip) into the empty chambers.

You could have a... I don't know, 15 round capacity revoler?

Obviously I'm not an engineer, so I won't be designing this. But if any of you want to go ahead and try, be my guest. I expect 10% royalties on all sales, though.

2. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Get a Webley Fosbery and a Dardick. Put them in a dark room with some soft music and the gentle
    perfume of Hoppe's #9. Wait.

The offspring should be all you want. Semi-auto revolver with the ammo in the grip.

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

How would the empties self eject?

4. therewolf

therewolf New Member

This adds a whole new chapter to the saying

"re-inventing the wheel"...

5. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

That's old news too. The Austrian Sederl patent of 1879 was for a self
    ejecting revolver, Gasser and a few others played around with the
    system. Basically the hammer fall hit a lever that pushed out the previously
    fired round.

The Dardick took another approach---triangular "tround" ammunition, with
    a open outer cylinder. Neat concept W-A-Y before it's time.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

8. JW357

JW357 New Member

9. JW357

JW357 New Member

Good question.

I like it. So there's a lever of some sort that pushes the old case out, utilizing a rod that comes into the front of the cylinder. The cartridge comes out one of the sides, when you (as the shooter) can see the chamber. This could be the flaw in the whole operation, though. If the case isn't extracted fully the whole operation would get hung up. Therefore, you would need an extraction rod a fair bit longer than the cylinder.

That's an idea too.

10. c3shooter

JW- Click on the link ABOVE the Webley-Fosberry- THAT link is to the Dardick Automatic Revolver, which DID eject empties.

11. JW357

JW357 New Member

Oh ok. It didn't load for me the first time. Now I see.

So we basically take that design and add the pistol grip magazine component to it. Brilliant.

Bt not overly useful. The beauty of a revolver is in its simplicity and ability to almost always go boom. Seems like this would be a very complex design, which could cause problems.

12. c3shooter

Well, to give the Devil his due, the Dardick was an interesting concept (although as ugly as sin) It held a LOT of ammo in the butt- about 20 rounds. And by changing barrel, you could switch between 22 and .38, or slip the guts into a carbine barrel and stock.

But it did not catch on, today most folks have never heard of it except a few cartridge collectors (I have 2 of the Dardick "trounds")

13. hq357

hq357 New Member

If i had to make a gun idea it would be a rail mounted pepper gel that shoots a stream of pepper gel and have it mounted under a pistol or rifle ;) thats my idea id like all o the royalties if its created