ID Spanish(?) Mauser, chambered for?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by MCFgrind, Jul 15, 2020.

1. MCFgrind

MCFgrind New Member

I acquired a milsurp Spanish Mauser a few weeks ago and am trying to figure out what exactly I have my hands on and if anyone knows about its history. It was sold as a “7mm Spanish Mauser”, which I assumed was correct.

I stripped it down when I got it to scrub it down with mineral spirits and gun cleaner, applied fresh oil, and added an extra couple coats of BLO back on the wood. That all went well, but I then noticed the firing pin was broken. Given this, I wondered what else may be unknown about it to the seller.

From what I have read, it seems like it is a “unmarked” 1916 Spanish Mauser short rifle, but if someone can help with learning more about it Id greatly appreciate it. The overall length is 41” and i believe the barrel is about 22”. There is no crest, stamp, logo or anything on it except for the pictured number on the receiver and a matching number on the bolt handle (the bolt is not on here because I have it stripped down while I try to find a new firing pin). The firing pin length is in the 6.8-7” range, and from what I read only Spanish Mausers have that length of firing pin. My main concern: a lot of these were apparently converted to 7.92X57 Mauser or 7.62X51 NATO after WW2. I have a box of true 7X57 Mauser that I plan to shoot through it, but wanted to make sure this wasn’t rechambered sometime decades ago in a way that will screw it up if I trust the seller that it is still indeed 7mm Mauser.

2. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

Take it to a gunsmith. You should do this with any milsurp that you aren't sure about. Get him to test headspace on the bolt too. Some of the Spanish conversions have issues.

Mongo likes this.

3. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

remove the action from the stock. sometime the caliber is stamped on the bottom of the barrel. If it is a 7mm Mauser neither the 7.62x51 or 7.92x57 will chamber as they are way larger than 7mm. l'm saying you can't close the bolt on a 7mm if you attempt to chamber a larger round. There are some Mauser parts on Armslist.
    There are also some Mauser parts available from Numrich/Gun Parts Corp. l just ordered some parts (for a Spanish Mauser). The estimated 6 weeks until delivery.
    The 7x57 round has a mild recoil compared to a 7.62x51 or a 7.92x57.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    G66enigma likes this.
  4. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

We need pictures of any markings, the bolt, (Bent handle or straight), and of the rear sight, both sides, top, and underside, with the scale flipped forward, as well as pics, close up, of where the barrel and action meet, top, bottom, and sides, to confirm it, but it looks like you have a 1916 Spanish Short Rifle there. (Yes, there are clues to look for in those places, especially as someone who owns both.) Question is, first or second pattern?

This is a good site to start looking through, that can give you clues to look for, in making a positive ID, on which pattern it is.

http://masterton.us/Spanmauhome

I'll look through my reference section, as OI do have information on what to check, and where, after those pictures are up, One thing you can do is cast the chamber, and compare the casting to cliber information, found in reloading manuals, or even taking calipers to make your measurements, and looking up the cartridges on Wikipedia. Case diameter, overall length, case length, and bullet diameter, can be determined via casting the chamber.

Given that ther 93 and 95 rifles are whgat the 1916 was based on, and in some cases, made from, this might work for you.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/5110B

If you have any questions about if it is safe to shoot, spend the money, and take it to a competent smith, and have it checked out. If you are uncomfortable casting the chamber yourself, he or she can do it for a small fee. If you lived in the Erie PA area, I could check it out for you, and let you know.

BK3220 and G66enigma like this.
  5. MCFgrind

MCFgrind New Member

Great, thanks so much! I will post those pics tonight.

kfox75 likes this.
  6. MCFgrind

MCFgrind New Member

72C1C78B-A856-4036-9689-8C2BA3187CF6.jpeg E94A3038-B3C2-4414-9410-B3C2E51766DE.jpeg 17A387C2-0182-41D4-B2B5-296C7D5CF0EF.jpeg
    Here are the pictures. Sorry for the toilet.

Attached Files:

towboater and kfox75 like this.
  7. kfox75

Going by the sight and markings, which may have been a reused one, post conversion, it looks more like my 1st pattern rifle. Chambers cast it to confirm the caliber, and go from there. Browmells sells casting kits, and it is a job that falls under DIY. Or a Smith can do one, for a nominal fee, while inspecting your rifle. A master Smith, may also be able to repair, or make, the firing pin. Look up SGW Gunsmith on here or Bill Deshives. Both have the skills for the job.

Chances are your rifle started.out as an 1893 or 1895 model, and the firing pin from both, will work in you bolt, after proper fitting. Numrich has the pins, and they are listed as a fit, both in their site, and in my master book from them.

towboater likes this.
  8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Glad to see you back K.

Shopfox and towboater like this.
  9. MCFgrind

MCFgrind New Member

Sounds good, thanks! I have been searching far and wide on Numrich and everywhere else and cannot seem to find a 93 or a 95 firing pin. From what I can tell a 93, 95, and 1916 all use the same firing pin but I cannot find one available anywhere (sold out across the board). Some other Mauser firing pins are close (swedish and turkish are within .15” from what I have read), and part of me wants to just try one of those and say screw it, but I guess I do not want to pierce the primer or damage the gun. 98 pins seem way too long.

Rex in OTZ and towboater like this.
  10. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    kfox75 and towboater like this.
  11. kfox75

Rex in OTZ likes this.
  12. kfox75

Not really. I just dropped in, when this thread popped up in a search I was doing, and figured I might be able to help. Most of the forum is still pretty much no go IMHO, because of certain members, and how they treat other members, who don't toe the line.

Rex in OTZ and towboater like this.
  13. MCFgrind

MCFgrind New Member

Thanks y’all. Ordered the Chilean 93/95 pin, didn’t think about that cause they had Spanish ones nowhere. Will report back on how it fits.

Rex in OTZ likes this.
  14. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

The 93/95 firing pins are super skinny, I was given a 1891 Argentine Mauser that had a busted firing pin (along with other busted parts) the 1891 firing pin sure looks allot like a pin from a 1916 Spanish Mauser and nowhere as stout as a model 98 mauser firing pin, fact is the 1891 bolt will go right in the 1916 no problem.