id if possible

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by lordbyron, Aug 16, 2011.

1. lordbyron

lordbyron New Member

I have my grandfather's shotgun. It's a single shot with no name on it at all. Only markings are 552 kg. It's on the hand rail and where the barrel meets the tigger. Sorry I can't remember the proper names. I have been told it's was made by a private manufacturer. It might be to hard to get the age.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

pics of good quality of the gun and good closeups of all markings would help

3. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

as JonM has stated we would be happy to help but, pictures are needed.

4. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

LordByron, Try looking over the gun with fresh eyes; Look inside the action, behind the trigger, and end of the buttstock, especially if it has a metal plate. Even a stamp of a crown, a cross, a letter "A" can be a huge tip on who, where and when the weapon was made. Many gun makers made their marks inside the guns (actions) where the mark would not be worn away. Manufacturers tend to stamp them on the barrel, stock plate or trigger guard (where it sounds like you found the mark you did).

And as everyone else has mentioned, close up photos would be very helpful! :cool:

5. wjkuleck

wjkuleck Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Sigh. You might as well ask us to identify your grandfather, with the description that "He was an old guy." :)

Is it a break-open? A bolt action? "552kg" would imply that it is Continental (European).

So... pictures, please. Thanks!!

Best regards,

Walt

6. lordbyron

lordbyron New Member

pictures of shotgun

[​IMG]

Here's the picture of my Grandfathers shotgun. I hope

7. wjkuleck

wjkuleck Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

OK, you've got the URL to the directory...but, alas, the picture file is the last part, and it's missing.

Regards,

Walt

8. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Grand pappy......

What was his country of Origin......Might be a first step......

9. lordbyron

lordbyron New Member

Having a hard time attaching pictures. They are in the gallery. I'll keep trying

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

M'Lord- when you are composing a post, there is a toolbar above where you type. See the white smiley face? To the right there is a paperclip. Click the clip, select browse, pictures, find your photo, download, close, come BACK to the paperclip, click it, and the file name will drop down. Insert THAT into your post- photo will be there. Cannot cut and paste into the forum.

Try this- remove barrel from gun, turn it over, look at underside of barrel. Use a light shining across at an oblique angle. The kg markings usually indicate pressures gun was tested to (in kilograms) so is liklely Euro. Find ELG in an oval, Belgian.

Here are some of the other proof marks- the rest of you may want to save this location for future reference.

Click HERE: https://store.bluebookinc.com/Info/PDF/Firearm/Proofmarks.pdf

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  11. lordbyron

lordbyron New Member

shotgun pictures

007.jpg
    Here's the pictures I hope again

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

M'Lord, I regret that is a photo of a handsome young colleen in a scout uniform. You must select the photo from your pictures file, OPEN it, then UPLOAD it. You can go back to your posting, EDIT, and delete it, and try again.

13. lordbyron

lordbyron New Member

shotgun

[ shotgun 2 003.jpg ][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
    I hope this is the lucky time. The only other mark is a small triangle maybe arrow where the barrel meets the hammer picture 7.

Attached Files:

14. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

LordByron, I'm agreeing with the others here in that this is most certainly of European manufacture, but it might have been done during a period when marking or stamping the guns was not of the same import as it is now. This might predate WW I when there were many fewer gun makers and guessing who made something like this would have been fairly easy. After WW I and especially WW II, European and American economies boomed and anyone with $500 and an idea could start their own company, which is why testing and certification of high-pressure dangerous devices like firearms became more prevalent and they were marked by their manufacturers, testers, certifying agencies and the like.

Many of the older firearms companies that do not currently exist were absorbed by newer companies looking to grow. So unless it's Beretta or some other ancient manufacturer, it might become a real problem with no markings.

15. lordbyron

lordbyron New Member

Grandfather's shotgun

Thank everyone for your replies. I still will never know where my Grandfather got the gun from. He wasn't in the milatary that I ever heard of. He was a preach who worked on people's houses to earn money. The gun might have been a trade for during some work. Thank you again.