ID a AR15 Upper

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by paulb, Feb 19, 2011.

1. paulb

paulb New Member

Hello All,

I am looking at purchasing an Ar15 upper and need help on ID-ing it. The only markings the seller can find are 5.56 Nato 1/9 on barrel, and the barrel is 20". I am going to take a look at it on Monday. What else should I look for to help ID the maker?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Can't tell anything from that pic, other than it is definately and AR upper!

3. whtsmoke

whtsmoke New Member

where are the marking located on the bbl?

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Are you talking about an upper receiver, a barrel or a barreled receiver? A receiver and barrel can be, and most times are, from different manufacturers.

5. paulb

paulb New Member

Complete Upper

It's a complete upper, barrel receiver, carry handle, and sights. I am trying to upload a pic, but having problems resizing it.

6. paulb

paulb New Member

whtsmoke,

The markings are on the barrel.

Attached Files:

• ar.jpg
      ar.jpg
      File size:
      46.3 KB
      Views:
  7. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

No bolt carrier group or charging handle? How much are they asking for it?

8. paulb

paulb New Member

He is asking $400.
    I didn't realize the bolt carrier group and charging handle are missing. I am new to AR's and don't know that much about them. I was planning to build my own lower and use this upper.
    from what you see is $400 a good price? Is adding a bolt carrier group and charging handle something a novice can do?

9. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Hell no its not a good price. You dont even know what brand it is. It could be some bubba gun made up of $200 worth of low quality parts. You can get a high quality upper minus BCG and CH for that price. You'll have $10-$20 in shipping but its well worth it.

Dont buy it dude.

Let us know what your use is going to be w/ the rifle and I bet you'll get all the help you need.

I forgot to answer youre last Q. Anyone can slip a BCG and CH into an AR. In fact you have to know how in order to clean it.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  10. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Go to the Stag Arms website and look at some of their complete uppers. I think my last one from them was less than $450 and was complete.

11. paulb

paulb New Member

I sent an email to the seller to see if the bolt carrier group and charging handle are included. I'll pass on it if they are not included.

12. russ

russ New Member

13. paulb

paulb New Member

Well no bolt carrier group or charging handle, so I am going to pass on it. I am going to get a complete AR15 and save the build project for the next one. Here is a pic of a DPMS I am going to take a look at tomorrow. It comes with a bi-pod, three 30 round mags, and a hard plastic gun case. He is asking $700.

Attached Files:

14. jhog

jhog New Member

Is this an individual seller and is it used? If so how many rounds have been put through it. If not too many say about 1000, then it looks like a pretty good deal.

15. paulb

paulb New Member

He said it has been shot very little, and in like new condition.

16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

If he doesn't have a bill of sale (proof of ownership) I'd walk!

17. MrMilspecer

MrMilspecer New Member

Does it have a removeable carry handle ?

18. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Can I pry a little? How tight is your budget? If its doable maybe spending a little more could get you a lot more. How much of a rush are you in?

Aimsurplus.com sells Spikes Tactical uppers and various lowers for a good price. I just checked and they are currently sold out of the Spikes uppers. You could call them monday and ask when they will have them back in stock. They are very nice people and regularly get shipments in.

You could also look into a Del-Ton assempled rifle. I think I priced one for around $650, though I dont remember the specs. Its not operator quality but I bet it would get any of use through a day at the range. You can also pass on their bolt and purchace a DD or BCM bolt to slip in.

For me ARs are a major purchase. They are expensive and Im poor ;). Def. not a winning combonation for me. Ive learned to slow down and be patient or I usually miss out on a good deal. Theres an insane amount of great options out there. I doubt anyone here would hesitate to answer any questions you would have.

Lastly, give midlengths a look. You would probably like them a lot over a carbine gas system.

Edit: I just went and looked and the $650 was for a rifle kit not an assembled rifle. Their assembled rifle would be $750

You might want to look into a higher end used rifle. I usually use google or just browse WTS ads.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011