ID 9mm

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by fresnobob, May 17, 2010.

1. fresnobob

fresnobob New Member

Anybody want to take a shot at this? I'm a writer who knows nothing about guns. This is from a source:

"It was a 9mm, with the clip that fit into the stock. It was all silver but it had a stripe along the barrel that was gold. It had little openings -- little rectangles along the barrel -- that were open. Like five of them. Almost like little dashes."

Can anyone identify this weapon?

Thanks much.

2. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Sounds Fictitious, besides it would probably be a Magazine that went into the stock. I'll play and say a Finnish Soumi M31.

3. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Sorry but the description is just too vague to really identify if it is a real weapon or one designed with literary license.

4. freefall

freefall New Member

What kind of crap are you reading? One of my pet peeves is writers who add firearm detail and get it wrong. Another is writers who know too much about guns and spend paragraphs retailing the wonders of the Detonics Combat Master and have no substance to the story. -grumpy old fart

5. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Geez, cut the guy some slack.

Is there context to the description? "clip that fit into the stock" sounds like a submachinegun... but silver???

6. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

Sounds like one of those blinged out guns that were consficated from a Mexican drug cartels house. Someone had posted a link with pics somewhere else on this site, I don't remember the topic.

7. Agent_H

Agent_H New Member

We talking Mack Bolan here?

[​IMG]

8. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

There is no stock or Clip on that gun.:D

9. Agent_H

Agent_H New Member

Very true. Given the writing from the source I was thinking maybe the author wasn't clear at to "stock" and "clip". The rectangles of the ported barrel took me back on a nostalgia trip lol.

10. fresnobob

fresnobob New Member

9mm ID Update

This is a nonfiction book. The gun described was leveled at the person describing it, although they're not overly familiar with firearms. Most of the confusion in the thread comes from me, since I don't know guns at all. They called it a clip, but they could mean magazine -- I don't know the difference. The gun was silver-colored, with a gold-colored stripe down the side. I was hoping the indentations would make it readily identifiable to people who knew more about the subject than I do. Thanks.

11. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

What book is it in Bob?

12. fresnobob

fresnobob New Member

In a book I'm writing.

13. freefall

freefall New Member

Check out Gun Digest and I think it's called"Jaynes Small Arms of the World".

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Hey grumpy, what's wrong with a Detonics Combat Master?

[​IMG]

Oh..........................

Well here are some 9mm, some silver, and some gold stripe guns. But no 9mm silver guns with a gold stripe.

Learn your subject before you write bout it. Unless you are writing for fat thumb, mush head gamers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. TheDaggle

TheDaggle Member

Yikes. You've evidently woken the dragons, Bob. This sounds like it may be a description given by a third party, no? Is this a true-crime book? If it is a third party description, I'd recommend getting your guy to log on and have a Q/A session. No matter what gun he's talking about, if it's real, SOMEONE here will identify it. They're that good.
    And keep us posted on your book! I read voraciously, and sometimes I even read stuff I don't have to!:eek:

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  16. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

A non-fiction book you are writing? Really? So, the gun was leveled at you? If not, then how do you know it is non-fiction?

Please, learn the verification and proving process of non-fiction versus fiction. There are many custom made guns out there, but without any kind of real proof, it is fiction. For non-fiction, stay away from over descriptions and stick to facts. Too many writers these days take too much license in descriptive narratives that turns true fact into embellished fiction. If the person does not know the make, model and caliber of gun "raised" at them, then leave it at that. Otherwise, find the actual gun raised at them; not what it may have been. I mean the acutal gun, not "could have been" like that one there. Heck, better yet, find the person who raised the gun at your mysterious person and ask them.

17. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Good night. This guy is coming to you looking for your expertise and you're acting like a bunch of a-holes.

If you want to know why much of the public has a bad impression of firearms and their radical owners, start by looking in the mirror.

18. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

He may well be a writer with limited firearms knowlege. He may be a 14 year old dumb a$$ kid (or both).

IF he is a legitimate writer and it is a true crime type book he is just quoting someone else who actually saw the gun. If the gun was never recovered, it would be difficult to determine what it was. If this story is autobigraphical, the writer has limited firearms knowlege and needs to be nurtured, not berated.

If he is a dumb a$$ 14 year old kid....Berate away gentlemen.

19. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

Scott, I know these guys and they are not being a-holes. It may come across that way some times, but really, they aren't.

At first I was thinking along the lines Skully was. Let’s look at this. First Bob asked a simple question (Bob said he was a writer and asked “what kind of gun is this?”). Then he mentioned that it was in a non-fiction book and the person describing it had it pointed at them (my impression was the book was one he was reading). Next when asked who wrote the book he said that he was (???). So Skully says what my first thought was (you had the gun pointed at you?)

Now; I understand that what Bob has is a “statement” from someone that he using for the non-fiction book he is writing. Now we have a much clearer picture.

Skully is still right though, in that if you aren’t for sure what gun it is, don’t make something up. Too much of the time we see some fancy way cool fantasy gun in movies and it gets taken as something real. This is going to be a non-fiction (or factual) book and should not deviate from that. I do however understand Bob’s need to be as descriptive as possible. He’s a writer, that’s his job.

Bob, we are here to help. Find out more info on the gun if you can. I’m sure looking at some of the responses to your post you have a few more questions to take back to your source. Any additional information you can bring back here will only help us nail down what it is that you are looking for.

BTW: Bob, I didn’t mean to talk about you like you weren’t standing right here.:D

How's that for a mirror?

20. utf59

utf59 New Member

fresnobob,

How do you know it was a 9mm?