I was teased today...

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by DarinCraft, Jan 29, 2010.

1. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

My FFL called me to say he had a pretty little Kimber Custom II and wanted me to inspect it before he started the paperwork. When I got there, he pulled out a black plastic case thats about on par with a factory case (Aside from XDm) and handed it to me. I was so excited to see the Kimber emblem glistening in the fluorescent lights and watching the people in the store stare in jealously.

I opened the box pulled out the gun and held it in complete admiration, then just as my daydream of firing this legendary gun was coming to a climax, I was interrupted by the gun shop owner..."If that thing looks good, go ahead and give it back and we'll get the paperworks started." "Give it back?" Ah, crap I'm in California and I have to wait 10 days before I can bring my baby home.....

On a side note, WTF is up with the factory sights on this thing?

2. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

...legendary? really?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010

3. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I use the Kimber Ultra Carry II as my carry weapon, I have no problems with the sights. If I ever really need to use it I am not going to have time to use the sights. Get it and do some point shooting and the sights won't bother you.
    When I got mine I walked in paid for it and walked right back out with the Pistol. No wait for me.

Now I am looking at the sights and still trying to figure out the Problem.

4. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

What? night sights?

It's all about your preference though, some think kimbers are legendary. Legendary for what though? :D

I hope you get it and you like it, that's what matters. Plus I'm jealous........I don't have a 1911..........yet!

5. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

I was talking about the 1911, I have never owned one.

as far as the sights, I have never seen a handgun sight with no dots, bars or goal posts....Just plain ol' black metal U rear sight with a black post.

6. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Wow, If you don't like those sights don't look at a GI model 1911. You will be really disappointed. They are not that bad they line up real nice. You should enjoy that Pistol, when you finally get it. The Wait is on.

7. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

Well you gotta remember, until today I had never paid much attention to them. I had held them before but never really paid much attention to the sight picture. I am used to factory Glock, night sights and factory XD's. So it is a huge change for me not having any markings to reference.

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I think you answered your own question.

Wait until you shoot it!

9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I'm in CA too. I hate the 10 day wait! :mad:

10. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

It sounds like it comes with target sights, no dots or other markings, just black on black. If it bothers you too much, it's a rather easy fix. Just have the gunshop install new sights.

11. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I'm so glad I don't live in commiefornia. You'll love that pistol once you finally get to shoot it. I've got a Pro Carry II and love it.

12. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Oops...sorry...thought you were talking about Kimber being legendary. No doubt they make great pistols, but not quite legendary yet.

13. Wambli

Wambli Member

One of my favorite guns in the world! I have a Kimber 25th Aniversary Edition Custom and it is a fantastic carry piece. VERY accurate and 100% reliable.

[​IMG]

14. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

I picked her up and already changed her dress to a more appropriate Hogue size wrap around. I'll post some pics later.

15. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

The grips are the first thing you can do to make her your own! Looking forward to the photos.

16. orangello

orangello New Member

Pics, pics, pics! Maybe you could put some liquid paper on the front post? :D

17. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

Oh man now thats hittin' below the belt...lol...hahahahaha
    [​IMG]

18. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I've posted this before but all of my 1911s are basically setup the same way: a wide notch plain black rear and a single white dot front. Rather than use paint or nail polish, I spent $10 and bought a pack of Nitesiter stick-on dots (8 in a package).

No, I really don't care that these dots glow when you charge them with light, they just make it easy to have a nice bright white dot on a formerly all black front post. My new long slide shot very low and I had to jack up the rear sight a bunch so I corrected that last night. I ground down and reshaped the front post, blued it, and applied a Nitesiter dot.

I'll be zeroing it in this week as we are finally going to have another pin match weekend after next. As far as rubber grips, I have always preferred the Pachmayr wrap-arounds to the Hogue - just personal preference...

[​IMG]

19. jimbobpissypants

jimbobpissypants New Member

Sounds like your gun dealer would make an excellent drug dealer,- with the way he teases his customers. Will there be pics?

20. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

Here she is...
    [​IMG]

I was told that for some reason the finish on this model likes to rust. Is that true? The only reason I ask is I am going to be duracoating my 1100 receiver when it warms up. Should I duracoat the Kimber as well?