I want to reload

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by ta1588, Jun 8, 2010.

1. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

I want to get started reloading my 380 auto brass because it is simply too expensive and too hard to find where I am and I never have enough ammo for practice. My question is (I can't seem to find the small inexpensive lee loader kit in 380!!!) what do I need to get started the cheapest and easiest way possible. This is going to be the ONLY caliber I am reloading so I need the simplest equipment possible that will get the job done. Any input appreciated! Thanks!

2. kusterleXD

kusterleXD New Member

Check with several places such as Cabela's, Bass Pro, local firearms dealers, etc. Usually kits come with everything you need except the dies which you purchase separately. Check out the Lee, Hornady, RBCS, and other reloading websites to find the best deal with the highest quality.

3. shannon

shannon New Member

The Lee 35th anniversary kit from Midwayusa is the best in my opinion. It is easy to use for beginners. I use Lee dies also, they come with the shell holder. I bought this twelve years ago, it has paid for itself MANY times over ! I am on a tight budget also, I like to reload. I do it everytime I get done shooting. When it's raining outside, or if I am just bored. I have thousands of rounds for each caliber that I have . I could not afford to buy factory plinking ammo either, especially now. ;)

4. Missileman

Missileman New Member

If you want to load a bunch of qualitiy rounds quickly, you can't beat the Dillon Square Deal--it's little more expensive, but comes with all dies, etc you need and you will spend a lot less time on the reloading bench and a lot more time shooting. And their customer service is the best in the industry.

5. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Man, in Portland, Oregon if I went out and reloaded during rain storms I'd have 10,000 rounds by now.

MidwayUSA here I come! (And click on NRA Roundup!!)

6. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

so if i buy one of these

Lee Classic Loader

and a set of .380 dies I should have everything?

7. shannon

shannon New Member

I don't know, I have never seen one of these. I do not see a powder dispenser,a weight scale, a press, or a hand primer. It also says "rifle". Try Midwayusa product # 423081 it is about $95.00 but they go on sale often for $50 - $ 60 .,this will have all that you need but the dies and some liquid case cleaner. You will still need to buy bullets, primers, and powder. It usually takes about $ 250 - $ 300 to get started unless you find a used kit from somebody. Be carefull about what you get, some of the kits are old and harder to figure out.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  8. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

9. BigO01

BigO01 New Member

Not even close !!

I am afraid that after years on Gun Forums and answering dozens of posts like yours , you will be the first person I discourage from reloading . The reason for this is out of concern for your safety .

Unlike most peope who start reloading you have chosen one of the worst calibers to reload and certainly one that NO ONE should start out on !!

The reason for this is the limited case capacity of the small cased .380 round and secondly the small mistakes that every new reloader makes could get you killed with an overpressure load . With Winchester 231 which is one of the best Powders for pistol rounds you have a very small margin of error of only 3 tenths of a grain of powder between a starting load and a maximum one 2.9-3.2 according to the powder chart Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com .

Usually people who load for most rounds do so with a higher case capacity and if they make a small error in the charge they are perfectly safe because there is a difference between these two factors of a grain or more .

If you insist on reloading for this round and starting out on it you MUST HAVE a good powder scale , powder measure /dispensor , set of calipers
    to measure the overall length of your finished rounds and of course a major brand Reloading Manual to learn and understand what you're doing B4 starting .
    It is very important to have Calipers and measure your finished rounds because if you seat the bullet too far in the case it will shoot the pressure sky high and turn even a safe load into an unsafe one very quickly .

If your looking to start reloading on a budget you realy should go and buy a snubby 38 Special for CCW/protection because it is a much safe round to start out reloading on and small mistakes can be gotten away with safely .

I implore you to NOT start out reloading with this caliper and if you do heed all of the warnings I have given you because the last thing the Sport of Shooting needs is to have a Televised National news Story about some guy who killed himself with his reloads driving a pistol slide through his brain blowing his gun up !

One more thing I normally suggest using the Lee dippers for new folks and started that way myself I reloaded for years safely and never even owned a powder scale , however with the smallest dipper they make it measures to the Maximum load or above with the powders that you would use and NOT even an expierence reloader should start out at the maximum listed loads for any combination of bullet , powder you can check this out for free at Lees site in the instruction section and click on the link for the dippers and a measure chart will open .http://www.leeprecision.com/html/instruct/index.html

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  10. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

Well the reason I wanted to reload is because I don't have much money. But it looks like it's going to cost more to reload than to drive 30 miles to get the factory loads...maybe I'll hold off for a while. I have confidence in my ability to be meticulous enough to get it done but I still don't want to be the guy with the Mak slide in his skull. I appreciate everyones input. What would you guys suggest a good load to start off with? 12 gauge?

11. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I've used a Square Deal for years now. The dies are different than for their other presses but if all you are going to do are pistol rounds than it's the best out there. you can change from one to another caliber fast and you can't beat the guarantee.

Yeah it's a bit pricey at first because you are starting from nothing. but once set up your cost per round can get real low. I look for deals on components then buy all I can looking down the road. And another plus to reloading is you can make a load that your weapon likes best.

There are less expensive presses out there. Lee makes a couple that are more affordable. Where you will not want to scrimp is things like a powder scale, caliper and the like. No matter what you're using you want to be able to check your work.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  12. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I too am of the thinking that the 380 auto 9mm Kurz is no good for starting out on. 9mm or 45acp or even a 40 smith would be much better.

there are simply much better calibers to start with.

Plus if you don't have much money to buy ammo your not going to even come close to having enough money to start reloading. Reloading has a high start up cost unless you start really young and get a bunch of hand me down equipment like I did.

13. AH-1

AH-1 New Member

your best bet would be to find a member in your local area and have them show/teach you how.I have helped several friends get started in reloading and casting their own bullets.
    pete

14. joshfireart

joshfireart New Member

when i was 15 my dad bought me a lee classic loader for 270 win. i reloaded hundreds of rounds with that thing. I had no idea how to reload it was easy but it only neck sized the cases. i reloaded my case until they would grow and would not chamber any moor didnt know they could be trimmed. The powder dipper work great for what it was i loaded 4350 IRM powder. But as Big001 said the 380 auto and even the 9mm are not very forgiving and i would also till you to stay clear from these rounds to start with. But as far as the lee classic loader man i had fun and i shot a lot. I now reload with a Dillon 550 and i still shoot a lot.

15. TimKS

TimKS Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I don't think that you'll like one of those. IF it's the right size, you will spend much more time reloading than shooting and with poorer results.

Buy a good press, and die set (I recommend RBCS), also a good powder scale and maybe a tumbler and you'll be all set for years to come. You can also easily switch to other calibers with minimal expense.

You may end up spending $150-200, but you'll be glad you did.

16. MrGrumpy89

MrGrumpy89 Member

I think you are thinking of the Lee handloader. I am wanting to reload too but live in a apartment and don't have a bench. i've seen it on cabela's website but not at their stores. You may have to buy it online.

17. BigO01

BigO01 New Member

If your pressed for room don't let it stop you from reloading , my setup is mounted to a simple work bench that the sell at Home Depot for about $30 or thats what I paid for it 5-6 years ago then all you need is some room in a closet to store a few boxes of all the other things like Brass , Powder etc .

The only way safety is a concern is if you smoke and then simply stay away from your powder while doing so and you're OK .

For an extra degree in safety just get a Metal Gun Cabinet like this Cabela's -- Stack-On 18-Gun Cabinet and it will keep things away from the kids or guests in your home .

18. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 Active Member

Lee Loader not listed in .380 in that add...

Your FIRST investment should be a good reloading handbook-The ABC"s of Reloading, and the Lyman Manual are both good ones.
    When you are that new at reloading, you need to read up on the basics..:D