I want to polish a stainless 1911...

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by icallshotgun88, Sep 28, 2015.

1. icallshotgun88

icallshotgun88 New Member

So for my next 1911 I want that high polished look.

I decided that stainless will be the best finish for me, but most of the 1911s I want don't have the polished look.

I'm wondering how much it would cost to send it out get that done..

Or is it something I can do myself? If so, how hard is it and what is everything I'd need?

2. 25-5

25-5 New Member

I would try rubbing a few coats of Renaissance Wax. It's not a real wax. Google it. Works great to shine up blue guns. Don't gob it on.

3. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have seen a video about someone polishing a Ruger 1911. I thought about doing it. But I later realized that polished guns show every little scratch and fingerprint. But it can be done with rubbing compound and then polishing compound. It looked beautiful on the video. But I believe it would be seriously high maintenance.

4. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

The only way to "polish" metal is to put finer and finer scratches in it. I have polished more than my share of aluminum, which is pretty easy to polish. Stainless on the other had is a pain in the a$$ to polish due to the metal having tight pores so to speak. I'm not saying you aren't capable, but it is a real pin to polish stainless without the proper wheels, and rouges.

5. gunman41mag

gunman41mag Active Member

On stainless steel i would rub flitz

6. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Don't know what it would cost to send it out but can be done yourself with elbow grease and sandpaper. Start with 400 and work to 1,200 or so depending on how shiny you want it. When you do the flats make sure you lay it on a flat surface to avoid a wavy look on the slide. How much do you want to do? Do your own and save lots of money.

7. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Finger prints don't show with Ren Wax. How it shines SS I don't know. Info is available on any gun forum. Use search.

8. gunman41mag

gunman41mag Active Member

This is the polish I used
    [​IMG]

9. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Wax doesn't polish metal.
    What you have to do depends on the original finish on the metal.
    Most satin finished stainless guns are at about 400 grit finish. Rubbing Flitz on a 400 grit finsh will give you a slightly shiny 400 grit finish. To polish, you would have to sand with 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 grit before any hand polish will give you a decent mirror finish.

10. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Like I said finer and finer scratches

11. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I am with 41Mag. I have always used Flitz and an old white T-Shirt to polish and wipe by hand. You can use tools to do it but I would highly suggest staying with the slower and detailed hand polishing technique.
    Also years ago used it on my duty Model 66 357 Mag S&W. Had the nicest looking gun possible.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  12. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Model 66 S&Ws were finished finer than newer guns.
    I polish metal for a living, but what do I know?

13. ratpacker

ratpacker Member

Todays pistols...unlike the ones made 30 to 40 yrs. Ago , have a rougher finish. STARTING WITH THESE, HAND POLISH..........
    Wet or dry....... black. sand paper.....# 600. Then # 1000 ... if you can find emory cloth of jewelry polishing grades, that would finish.
    Simichrome or Wenol polishing pastes give the next grade luster.

Mothers mag wheel polish..... and 300 hours of rubbing ...will bring aluminichrome like finish, to keep up maintainance.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  14. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I would rather have one that looks like it gets used.

A couple of scratches, finger prints, and some hard to remove powder residue gives the impression that I shoot with it and know how to use it.

But if you want to polish, consider leaving some areas rough and polish the flat areas.

15. icallshotgun88

icallshotgun88 New Member

I have plenty of guns like that...

Every time I buy a "safe queen" I end up shooting the $h1t out of it...

Maybe if I get a nice shiny one that won't happen

16. buffalolake

buffalolake New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is my every day carry Kimber. It had a matte finished SS slide from the factory. I painted in the logo and grip area with Testor's black model paint, then polished the sides only. I started with 400 grit sandpaper, then worked up to 1000 grit. I placed the sandpaper flat on a table and worked the slide across it. It took less than 20 minutes to do both sides. These pics are after 8 months of holster wear and a bit of range time. It does show a few scratches, but it's still a mostly mirror finish.

17. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

Uncle's Colt Lawman Stainless snub nose .357, he brought back from last tour in Nam. Sweat, mostly and rain. He was a Retired Marine, three tours, at Danang. Same unit apparently.
    The gun was cruddy and anything but shiny. Three months or more with Fltiz and Semichrome polishes and lots of rags, inside and out every little piece polished it up real purdy. Matt finish or bead blasted finish will take a wheel and rouge or lots of sandpaper and then polish.
    Grips don't look like much but he's gone and his hands handled it many times. So they stay.
    I've been looking at a stainless PPK with the idea if I buy it will be polished. As is, new it is rough, as a cob, on edges and finish, is not bead blasted but definately not up to snuff. Probably have to use aa wheel on it.

18. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1450957653.166694.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1450957681.097322.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1450957700.243972.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1450957720.673810.jpg

Here are before and after of the only SS handgun I've ever polished. I used Mothers and a cheap polish wheel in an electric drill. The hard to get to spots were done with t shirt.

I took it apart and removed the wood grips before I started. It's hard to tell with these BS phone pics but it turned out ok. It would probably look better if I get time to go over it again. I only spent about 4 hrs to get it this far.

Sent from a phone I can use to do my taxes, but can't make a damn call.

19. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Tinbucket-
    The Colt Lawman was never made in stainless steel.
    Apparently, you have polished all the nickel plating off your uncles gun!

20. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Well, since its for your "next" 1911, just buy it polished SS from the factory ;)
    Take the easy road out!!

or, go find a beater at a pawn shop that is beyond all hope...
    place a few internet ads looking for a beater 1911...
    never know what you might find for cheap ;)