I want to get my FFL

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by SSGSF, Jan 12, 2012.

1. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

Has anyone ever used FFL 123 ? And do they really help you get your FFL?

2. Creekside_Sports

Creekside_Sports New Member

It's just a joke to get your money. There's no secret handshake that they teach you.
    Don't waste your money, instead go to the BATFE and start reading.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

As Creekside said.

DO understand there are several different FFLs. MOST folks mean an 01 Dealer FFL when they use the term. To get one, you must be in compliance with all state and local laws FIRST (zoning, business license, etc) AND you must intend to "engage in the business" of buying and selling, or repairing guns. A Dealer FFL will NOT be granted for personal use.

4. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

Ok thank you I will look into it more cause I would like to buy and sell but nothing big

5. joehawk

joehawk New Member

I did all my homework by going to ATF site. Then to the State Police site. Checked it all out myself. Just had my ATF inspection/interview and the State inspection. Saved money by looking at YouTube and website info. Now just awaiting the license. Just my 2 cents.

6. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

State inspection? What state you in if you don't mind me asking.

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

I brought this up one time. I heard from another member here that all it is is a copy of the paper work you have to fill out and instructions on who to call and what not. Last I checked it was $150 for their kit, but I was told that the paperwork is free, along with all the other info you need, at the ATF website.

8. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

I live in Texas and wow I am so glad I ask instead of wasting my money . Hey this mite sound like a stupid question but I know you can get a c&r,class 3 FFL how many others are there or is there just one?

9. joehawk

joehawk New Member

10. c3shooter

There are 9 different FFLs, and a couple of flavors of each.

What most people mistakenly call Class 3 is properly referred to as NFA or Title 2 firearms. Regular firearms are Title 1.

A Class 3 SOT dealer is a dealer of NFA firearms
    A Class 2 SOT manufacturer is a manufacturer of NFA firearms
    A Class 1 SOT importer is an importer of NFA firearms

Type 1 FFL is a Title 1 dealer or gunsmith
    Type 2 FFL is a Title 1 dealer doing business as a pawnbroker
    Type 3 FFL is a licensed collector of Curio & Relic (C&R) firearms
    Types 4 & 5 are no longer used.
    Type 6 FFL is a licensed maker of ammunition and reloading components other than Armor Piercing ammunition
    Type 7 FFL is a Title 1 manufacturer of firearms, ammunition and ammunition components other than NFA, Destructive Devices and Armor Piercing ammunition
    Type 8 FFL is an importer of Title 1 firearms and ammunition
    Type 9 FFL is a dealer in Title 1 firearms including NFA destructive devices, but no other NFA
    Type 10 FFL is a manufacturer of Title 1 firearms, ammunition and ammunition components, including NFA Destructive Devices but no other NFA, and not including Armor Piercing ammunition
    Type 11 FFL is an importer of Title 1 firearms, ammunition and NFA Destructive Devices, but no other NFA

To get a Class 3 SOT status, you need a dealer or manufacturer FFL which includes Type 1, 2, 7, 8, 9, 10 or 11 - and pay a yearly $500 tax due every July 1st.

To get a Class 2 SOT status, you need a manufacturer FFL, which includes Type 7, 10 - and pay a yearly $1000 or $500 (reduced rate for small manufacturers) tax due every July 1st.

To get a Class 1 SOT status, you need an importer FFL, which includes Type 8, 11- and pay a yearly $1000 or $500 (reduced rate for small importers) tax due every July 1st.

11. Creekside_Sports

You have 9 types of Federal Licensing for the firearms industry.
    type 01- Gun Shop, gunsmith and what I would say is the second most common
    type 02- Pawn Shop
    type 03- C&R, aka Collectors license...Gives you the ability to purchase guns that are 50 years and older, rolls over each year
    type 06- Lets you make ammo and reloading components
    types 07, 08, 09, 10, and 11- Deal with manufacturing of firearms/Class III weapons or Destructive Devices and importing of said guns.

Now if you want to deal in NFA weapons you have to purchase a separate tax stamp based on what kind you want to sell.
    Do you want to sell High Explosives as well, pony up some more money for yet another license.

Welcome to the world of ATF.

12. joehawk

joehawk New Member

New Jersey

13. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

Thank you very much C3 and creekside do you have to pay a yearly tax with just a regular FFL that You mite have if you owned a gun shop or were a gunsmith

14. c3shooter

That would be an 01 Dealer's FFL. It is a license fee. Last time I looked, was $200 for 3 years, and renewal is $90 every 3 years- but that may have changed. I am not "in the business", my FFL is an 03 Collector's license- $30 for 3 years.

15. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

Thank you yall have been a great help thank you very much

16. Creekside_Sports

You are correct, and as I say....to much money for what it is.

17. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

I don't know about Nevada, Creekside, but there is the extra cost here of the state license. Here in Pa., you also have to be licensed by the Commonwealth which comes after you are granted your FFL by the Feds. I have to pay an additional $50 through the county sheriff's office for my Commonwealth of Pennsylvania license to sell firearms. It coincides with the FFL every three years for renewal.

Here where I am, all I needed after the licensing was satisfied was to get my sales tax license from the Commonwealth. Being rural and with the lenient ordinances where I am, I didn't need a mercantile license to do business or anything else for that matter.

As you were already told, SSGSF, you first and foremost have to make sure that you can legally do your busines in the municipality you live in and not be in violation of zoning ordinances. See if you need to have mercantile licenses even to do a hobby business in your community. Get a copy of your state firearm laws as pertaining to sale of firearms and dealer responsibility/licensing, etc. Once you have this info and am sure you can be in compliance, then start the licensing process with ATF starting with your Form 7 and fingerprint cards. Make absolutely sure to research what you need to be in Federal compliance shop or office wise. It's not a long list, but there is no grey area here. You basically need to be ready to start business (no inventory or anything like that) when the ATF compliance agent comes to visit for final approval of your license.

By the way, I'm a type I FFL, home office based, and had absolutely no problems getting approved the first time. In business since fall '09. It's all about taking the time to get info, ask questions, and being prepared and through.

18. joehawk

joehawk New Member

I really think the key to weaving through the myriad of rules and regs is to know exactly what the state you reside in requires for a gun business.

19. bulldogfirearms

bulldogfirearms New Member

FFL123 only cost about $30. It has a ton of info and you are able to contact the founder via email. It's not a scam and was really helpful for me. I emailed him twice with questions and he responded both times within 10 minutes.

20. afterlife

afterlife New Member

Goto atf website, get the book, and read it all, got questions then ask once you decide what exactly you want to do, get the paperwork and fill it out accordinly.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012