I want to get into reloading

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by 97cobra, Oct 26, 2011.

1. 97cobra

97cobra New Member

I want to get into reloading and Cabelas has a RCBS reloading kit for sale for 279.99. Is this a good deal or a good brand?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2011
  2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Yes, RCBS is a good brand- matter of fact, do not know of a BAD brand of reloading gear. Is that a good price? Beats the heck out of me- do not know what is in that set.

Some folks like Dillion, some RCBS, some Lee, soem Fords, some Dodge, some Chevys.

Before you buy anything, I would buy a copy of The ABCs of Reloading (check Amazon for used copies) and read the book so you know what it is you are buying.

3. 97cobra

97cobra New Member

Amazon has about 4 different ABCs of reloading books. Which one?

4. 97cobra

97cobra New Member

RC Supreme Press
    5-0-5 Powder Scale
    Uniflow™ Powder Measure
    Speer No. 14 Reloading Manual
    Hand Priming Tool
    Hex Key Set
    Case Loading Block
    Case Lube Kit
    Powder Funnel and Deburring Tool.

That's what the kit comes with.

5. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

6. c3shooter

7. 97cobra

97cobra New Member

Is the lee kit mostly everything I'll need to start up?

8. c3shooter

Still need dies and shell holders- along with brass, primers, powder and bullets. Due to HAZMAT shipping costs for powder and primers, those are best purchased locally unless you are buying a LOT at one time. And again, read the book before buying anything. PS- inexpensive used dies frequently found on ebay. Carbide dies are best- rarely have I seen a worn out loading die.

9. fmj

fmj New Member

yup yup, buy carbide dies, then you have no need for lube.

10. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Carbide still needs lube for rifle cartridges. :)

11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

There are more places to buy reloading gear than at Cabelas. Check around for delivered prices and keep it simple to start. Pick out 1 cartridge to load and learn from there.

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

check out Midway and MidSouth Shooters Supply. both of these carry anything related to reloading and carry all the brands. plus they carry all kinds of brass for even a lot of oddball calibers. they both have great service and fast shipping. i use both of them. if you place an order with them, you can get free catalogs too. i have bought lots of my reloading equipment from them.

if you need powder and primer, if possible try to source it local, because if you order it, they charge you a $25 hazmat fee on top of the order to ship it.

if possible order a complete kit from Lee or RCBS and the only thing that you need is the dies, powder, primers, and bullets to start reloading.

also see about finding that book others suggested, ABC's of Reloading, excellent book, i have it and find lots of information that is truly helpful in it. another good book is the reloading manual by Lee, it also has a lot of information in it about reloading. and also buy several different reloading manuals, Sierra, Speer, Hornady, Nosler, ect. ect. reason is, some will carry different calibers and loads the others don't, plus some carry different powders than others. good luck.

13. fmj

fmj New Member

Yeah, MidwayUSA.com and I are on first name basis......but i have also found you can get some really KILLER deals on flEaBay

14. Axxe55

fmj, i keep both as shortcuts on my computer! their prices are decent too.

15. fmj

fmj New Member

LOL...same here. Wife says its a sickness.

16. Axxe55

i'm lucky, my wife supports my sickness! she is also having a blast shooting my new Ruger Mark III 22/45 pistol! i went last weekend and bought three bulk boxes of 550 rounds of 22lr. with the marlin m60 now, i need to go get some more!

17. fmj

fmj New Member

I cant reload fast enough to suit the youngest and wife...between the two i hardly get any time behind the guns anymore. I NEED to get a Mark II!!

But yeah, the wifes supports my addiction...she sees/has seen too many folks addicted to drugs/alcohol/cigarettes.....whenever she starts to think about going on/off about the cost of this addiction she understands it could be something else/much worse i could be addicted to.:eek::)

Instead of roaming the streets/pissing paychecks down the urinal at the bars/strip clubs, i am in my basement reloading or at a gun show/gun shop or at the range. (with her or the youngest)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  18. Axxe55

i bought my Mk III about two months ago, and really have fun shooting it. i had to buy some more mags for it, and now i'm thinking i am going to buy a scope for it. the little gun is so much fun to shoot.

19. fmj

fmj New Member

Not to mention inexpensive.

I shot sillhoute comp. as a kid with my dads Mark II....but he sold the dern thing just before he died :mad: I need to find one!

20. Axxe55

i wanted the Mk II, but i ended up buying the Mk III one day when i was picking up a scope i had ordered. it kept whispering, buy me, buy me! so i did. i had been wanting to buy one for years anyways.