i want to become a police officer

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by chevyforlife1972nova, Mar 25, 2010.

1. chevyforlife1972nova

chevyforlife1972nova New Member

any training you guys can suggest ? i live in Maryland
    I know how to shoot and everything i just want to know my skills are at the level to make it as a officer

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

While a police officer DOES need to be able to use a firearm effectively, that is a very small part of what a police officer needs to do. Most of the folks at my local shooting association range can outshoot the current "on duty" shift from the local PD. There is a serious misconception that ALL LEOs are Marshall Dillon with a six shooter. How is your shooting now? What firearm, what range, what sort of groups? Do you shoot strong hand/weak hand?

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

My esteemed partner above has hit the nail on the head. While shooting is a necessary skill, it's just a small part of the overall process. I'm sure our resident LEOs will drop by shortly to give you the real deal.

One other important note. Most LE agencies operate with a structure and the internal discipline of the military. If you can't fit into a regimented, rank conscious environment - LE probably isn't the career for you...

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  4. chevyforlife1972nova

thank you

i can shoot good with both hands and are very nice grouping
    guns- a 40 cal glock and 9mm 1911 copy

5. Car54

Car54 New Member

Each state sets standards that must be met in order to have the job of police officer. In most, if not all cases a requirement is that the recruit go through an academy whether self initiated and pay your own way, or get hired by an agency that has it's own academy and get paid while you train.

I would suggest that wherever you would like to be an officer, go to the respective state website and search for that states requirements for a start.

A lot of departments allow civilian ride alongs. Check with a few local departments you might be interested in and see if you can ride a few times.

Academies generally run 16 to 18 weeks before graduation. Watch your driving (tickets and crashes), partying (stay out of trouble), hanging with so called "undesirables", make sure your background is clear, and begin working on your physical conditioning.

6. chevyforlife1972nova

thank you sir and unsesirbles? as in what?

7. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

You are the company you keep. So if your friends are drug dealers or gang bangers, you will be viewed the same way. THe backgroung checks differetn agencies do are EXTENSIVE. They even check FaceBook, Myspace, etc nowadays

8. chevyforlife1972nova

ok

thanks i dont think i have anything to worry about

9. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Don't take this wrong but writing skills are very important as well...

10. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

ChevyNova, tell me a bit more about yourself. Age? Grades in school? Level of education?

11. chevyforlife1972nova

yes

yes sir i know have had a problem with eng. since i was a kid

12. chevyforlife1972nova

just turned 21 in dec
    2nd year of college

13. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Practice makes perfect. Take the time to perfect your writing skills and it's free here on the forum. Here's how your sentence above should have read:

"Yes sir, I know I have had problems with written English since I was a child."

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but how you represent yourself by spoken and written word will determine if you will succeed in your quest...

14. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

Majoring in? Working on what degree?

15. chevyforlife1972nova

major- criminal justice
    just a associates degree
    then applying to the academy's

16. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

An Associate's Degree in Criminal Justice will help, as will a BS, Master's or PhD

17. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Any degree will help.

Especially when you apply to the acadamies.

18. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Anyone with a BS, masters or PhD would have countless options in the criminal justice field, probably w/o having to attend an academy.

19. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

If your college has a writing lab, do not use it. Learn to write your own papers. Learn to proof read and use proper grammar, spelling and terminology. You may want to consider going into the military to get a solid background in structured environments and also to increase your levels of maturity and resonsibility. As mentioned before, be careful of what your friends do and who you hang out with. Facebook, Myspace, and other such networks are looked at also. When my department does an interview, candidates are asked if they have pages on the networks. If they so yes, they are asked to bring the pages up during the interview process. Don't get traffic tickets and keep your credit scores in the good to excellent range.