I want some opinions on a trade

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Franciscomv, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

My favourite gun shop has a S&W Model 27 with a 6" barrel in really excellent condition, I'm lusting after it but I've been spending a lot of money lately and would need to get rid of something in order to afford it.

I was thinking about my S&W 686, I love it but since I only carry it outdoors or when concealment is not an issue, I thought the 27 would do everything the 686 does. I just love the big, thick forcing cone and the N frame fits my hands like a glove.

I'd still have to put some down, but it would be a lot less.

If I wait for a couple of months, I'll be able to afford it, but I'm afraid somebody will snatch it in the meantime.

What would you guys do in my place?

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Model 27's can be a bit scarce and what's not to love about an N frame? The 686 can be replaced pretty easily, 27's not so much.

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I've owned one 27 and a couple of 28s and those big N frames are just really spiffy revolvers. The blueing on a classic 27 is just gorgeous IMHO. A finer .357 revolver there isn't...

4. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Them 27's are very fine and well built N-frame wheel guns Francisco. If you really want it and can put some money down on it to secure it, I would go for it. You never mentioned the price, but I would suspect it is not as important as the "gotta have it." :D

Jack

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Nothing compares to an N-Frame Smith. Fit, feel, workmanship, heft. I have 7 N-frames. I would have 10 more if I could afford it.

6. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Long live.... N FRAMES!

7. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

If it was ME,I'd go for the model 27. There's just something about N frames. I'm debating on a model 29-see thread.

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Put it on lay-a-way.

9. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

Lay-a-way is not an option, that's why I was thinking about covering part of the cost with my 686.

You guys pretty much confirmed what I was thinking, 27s are pretty rare in Buenos Aires and I can always replace my 686 later (hell, I wouldn't mind a GP100 if I couldn't find another 686). I'll talk to the gun shop owner and see what if I can get a decent price.

10. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Even though 686's are common, it's still a very high-demand revolver. You should get a good trade-in for it.

S&W 686 was my first center-fire wheel gun. I was hooked forever.

11. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

If it were me, I'd go the 27. Nothing wrong with a 686 but IMO, it doesn't hold a candle to the fit and finish of the older Smiths, their blueing was beautiful!

12. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

I love my 6" 27. Carried it as a duty gun when in LE and still carry it in the field today, depending on what I am hunting. Bought it in 1973 and would never part with it..............

Jim.....................