I want an XD for my first handgun, should I get the sub-compact?

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by DamnYankee, Jun 25, 2010.

1. DamnYankee

DamnYankee New Member

I have been researching the XD's pretty hard. They seem to be a good choice formy needs. But being my first handgun , should I shy away from the sub-compact model? I do plan on taking the first available concealed carry class I can get into so concealability will be an issue in the near future.

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Depends. No subcompact is a really good range or fun gun as they're small & compact. Nor are they target quality guns as they're small & compact. T'was me, I'd get a duty size gun and get comfortable with the platform and then go from there...

3. GMACK

GMACK New Member

NGIB says it pretty much the same way I feel about it. If its your first handgun I wouldnt start off with a sub-compact. Try a 4" service model. Thats what my XD is and I like it quite a bit. If you find it to big for your needs you can always trade it in on a compact or just keep it and add a compact to your ever growing collection.

4. amoroque

amoroque New Member

I agree completely.....white the sub compacts are very necessary, I dont really enjoy shooting them on a regualr basis.

Might be a good excuse to get 2 pistols! :D

5. DamnYankee

DamnYankee New Member

What do you think about the XD 45?

6. amoroque

amoroque New Member

I think it is BAD ARSE!!!

I havent owned or shot a SA product that I wasnt completely happy with!

7. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Great choice IMHO. I really enjoy mine. Good value for the money and their customer service is supposed to be top notch. Fortunately I have not needed to use it.

8. DamnYankee

DamnYankee New Member

What are the main differences between the XD 45 and the XD 9 besides the obvious? Should I, as a newb, shy away from a 45?

9. amoroque

amoroque New Member

The size is different between the 2 pistols.

I might suggest going to a gun shop that has both of them in stock.....and finding exactly what YOU like.

My first pistol was a 45. So I dont necessarily think you should "shy away from a 45." I just think you need to see what fits you the best and what you like to shoot.

just my .02

10. DamnYankee

DamnYankee New Member

I'll be taking a trip to my local shop tomorrow. Hopefully they have both. If not I'll be able to see some alternatives anyway.

11. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I don't think you can go wrong with an XD in any caliber but especially 45. If I were you I would go with the 45 compact. That way you'll get a 4" barrel and two grip lengths for either carry use or range. With the longer mag and grip extension it's the same size as their service model. Sort of the best of both worlds.

12. utf59

utf59 New Member

I wouldn't "shy away" from the .45 as a caliber, especially in a full-size gun. The XD45 is a smooth shooter. But you might shy away from the cost of ammo compared to the 9mm. You'll be able to afford a lot more practice with a 9.

13. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

Having both XD and XDm I can say with no reservation that while the XD is a great gun, the XDm is a GREAT gun. Now in .45 if you so desire.

Go feel 'em up at a shop and shoot them. You wont go wrong with any 3.8 or 4.5 bbl in the XD/ XDm line.

14. SGT_Calle

SGT_Calle New Member

My thoughts exactly. I wish I had looked around more for the 45 compact rather than just buying my XD40 service. Granted, I really like my XD40 and carry it religiously, I think I'd like to have a 45 more.... especially with the shorter grip option.

15. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

I agree with the others, subcompacts are difficult to get on target without lots and lots of practice and are no fun to shoot at the range, especially in a .45 ACP.

The XD 45 Compact is a good compromise. The 4" service length barrel with the short grip can be sufficiently concealed with a quality holster. You also get the added benefit of the extended 13 round mags for either backup or range use.

16. glock2740

glock2740 New Member

I personally don't care for the XDsc's. But I like the full size models.

17. fighto

fighto New Member

To each his own thoughts! I carry a 45 XD compact - ( Completely the same as the "4 service issue except for the hand grip which is about 1 inch smaller on the compact) - but if you use the 13 round mag with the black extension on it - it's the same size as the Service 4") - I've carried this gun for about a year and a half and it shoots great! - Just remember the Compact is just slightly smaller ( for concealment purposes only every thing else is the same )

18. crazycharlie2

crazycharlie2 New Member

I like my XD 45 TACTICAL. Get used to the platform and then go smaller once you get familiar. You may want to go with another pistol for everyday carry. My everyday is a .40 S&W Sigma until I get some more practice with my XD and the weather gets cooler (easier to hide the XD with winter clothing)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  19. rambo

rambo New Member

I haven't messed with all of the springfields but the XDSC felt too top heavy to me. I was more comfortable with the S&W.

20. Flat4sti

Flat4sti New Member

All of my friends that shoot my PX4 like it better than their xd. Just saying.