I want an AK

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by shootitout, Apr 4, 2012.

1. shootitout

shootitout New Member

ok i dont know wich way to go AK47 or AK74 also what brand. and i am oppen to other guns of a similar price range so 400$-1000$.

2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

AK-74. Tantal or Arsenal.

But if you have $1000 to spend, a good AR would be even better. Especially a Colt.

3. Hendoproof

Hendoproof New Member

I was in the same boat as you before I bought mine. I ended up going with the Arsenal SGL-31 (AK74), but looking back I wish I went with the AK47 model first. Speaking from experience with an Arsenal, the quality of the products are nice. Mags for the 47 are cheaper and everywhere too. Keep that in mind

4. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

I have an AK that has been shot a good deal over the past 40 years. This one was made in the U.S. back in the 1970s. The old AK only FTF when I feed it Hollow points. I like the AK. That said my Colt Prebans are far more useful rifles.:)

[​IMG]

5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Shoot a few AKs and SKSs before you buy.

You may prefer the SKS, or an AK

barreled in 5.56 or 5.45. (YES, BOTH are available.)

Try to get what you really want the first time.

Then you'll have enough money for spare ammo,

and to buy me a beer or 9...:D

6. mrnole2u

mrnole2u New Member

I have an Arsenal AK which I bought for $850.
    It's an absolutely great weapon, no issues after approx 3000 rounds

7. bigbucks

bigbucks New Member

I bought a EAA zestava pap single stack ak. And loved it they go around 3.75 or so. Then my buddy showed me his yugo sks with the tapco ts stock and 20 round detachable mags. I went and shot it. The thing was awesome so my ak was sold. I bought a yugo sks took the bayonet off. Got the tapco stock got all 922r parts put a bipod on it go the weaver receiver plate with scope rails got a reflex sight for it. The whole thing of buying parts and redoing it and i have less then 600 I'n everthing and it's gonna be decked out. I should finish it tonight and I'll post pix. As was said before me, go to a shop or a range or find friends with them and try them out. So you don't buy one like me then find something you want more and all that. Good luck finding what you want.

8. bigbucks

bigbucks New Member

I ment 375 not 3.75. Lol i wish

9. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

If your Yugo SKS has the grenade launcher on the muzzle have you tried launching practice grenades? I have & it is a lot of fun.
    I use these blister packed blanks to launch these practice grenades
    [​IMG]

10. orangello

orangello New Member

OP,
    What do you want it to do? IOW will this be a fungun for targets and plinking cans, or do you plan on some hog hunting, or are you looking for a SHTF defensive rifle?

A buddy of mine has a relatively inexpensive WASR10 AK-type rifle from Romania, imported & modified by Century Arms; it is GREAT fun for plinking and such and wouldn't be bad for home defense (dude lives in the sticks) and wouldn't be bad for hunting hogs & such. It is NOT the most accurate or most "authentic-looking" AK-type rifle, but it is more than adequate for dude's needs. The more expensive models may be a liiiiiittle more accurate, but his is no slouch.

11. OH_AKguy_937

OH_AKguy_937 New Member

First of all I can't believe anyone hasn't told you or your friends that ALL Century and Arsenal AKs are JUNK! If you are really in the market for an AK then you need to look at the Chinese - PolyTechs and Norinco's, the Egyptian - MAADI's (pre-ban), or the older Russian (pre-ban). There were also some pre-ban Romanian's that were good from what I hear, but I've never shot one myself. I have had several friends who have had jamming and magazine fitting issues with the Arsenal and Century AKs you are referring to.

I wold recommend Chinese because you can definitely find one out there, and to stay away from any AKs that got chopped up by customs to become 922r compliant. There are enough pre-ban AKs out there that there is no need to buy something that is 922r compliant, at least in my opinion. You will pay between $500 - $2000 but no matter what you spend it's worth the $. If you look hard enough you might even come across one at a gun show for about $300. Every now and then you can find one with a milled receiver as well. Most of these are collectors items, but worth it for the right price. Since we are not in combat everyday of our lives you will be perfectly fine with a stamped receiver. The reliability of the AK is unmatched.

I have both an AK and AR15/M4 and if SHTF I would grab my AK, but the M4 is a lot of fun too. Now there are a few manufacturers who produce an AR platform that fires the 7.62x39 round, which is amazing, as well as the rifle that Sig has released (556r) which is basically an updated version of the AK. The Sig 556r goes for about $1100 I believe, and it accepts AK mags.

Hope this will help you out on your journey for the right rifle.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  12. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

I disagree, i've had multiple century wasr 10s over the years and although they certainly aren't top shelf, i've never had ANY problems with any of them.

I got my hands on one of their new centurion 39s a while ago and it's hands down the best AK i've ever shot. I've put the worst ammo i could find through it with no problems whatsoever, and it's more accurate than my norinco sks.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  13. orangello

orangello New Member

I respectfully disagree, particularly with this part. It depends on what the buyer needs from the rifle; an inexpensive WASR will meet the needs of many people.

14. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Ive handled several of those WASR's and they seem to be pretty solid, of course i cant say 100% that they are any good cause ive never fired one but id love to get one.

15. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

First a few questions what are you going to use your AK for?
    I hope not home defense AKs have way too much penetration for that, unless you live way out in the sticks. Last time I checked Cincinnati, Ohio wasn't out in the sticks. Even the AK74 with the right ammo will penetrate 1/2" steel 100yds out. The AK47 with plastic ammo will go through a wood 2x4, I know because I have done it.
    But if you want an AK for target shooting & having fun plinking with it that sounds great. I can't tell you where to buy from because after buying a WASR10 first I decided to start building my own. Not that the WASR was that bad of a rifle, just for the money (at that time) I could build better.
    If you are wanting something with knock-down power go with the 47. If you want cheap ammo & decent accuracy go with the 74.
    If you need a good cheek weld when you do accurate target shooting stay away from the side folders & under folders they tend to wobble or flex when you pull them down tight. If you want to shoot long range try going with a PSL or RPK the longer barrel helps a lot. If you live in the sticks & want an AK for home defense, or want a small behind the seat truck gun check out some of the side-folding & under-folding variants of both AK47s & AK74s.

16. orangello

orangello New Member

Maybe even one of those AK "pistols", the "Draco". I could see using one of those inside a house before most AK variants, though the muzzle flash would be horrendus & over-penetration would be an issue in populated areas.

17. flyspooky

flyspooky New Member

Bought a WASR about three years ago...nothing fancy about it. Have fed it steel-case Wolf as well as brass Winchester white box. Probably 1000 rounds through it. Had three Failure to Enter Battery malfunctions my first time out, traced to a bad mag. Has gone "bang" every time I've pulled the trigger since. YMMV.

18. THEAKDUDE

THEAKDUDE New Member

Are you serious century arms takes Romanian ak's and throws a better trigger in them that is it. Get your info right

19. therewolf

therewolf New Member

My Century GP1975 shoots dependably. Nary a FTF or FTE in over

500 rounds.

IMHO, you limit yourself seriously on imports if

you believe that internet "all CAI is junk"

urban legend.

Century has had a couple problems, in contrast to

the fact they are one of the largest importers.

20. shootitout

shootitout New Member

i would be for shtf mostly but in the part of the city where i live if obama dose not get re elected it could get bad fast. so it could be for home defense but i would shoot down the stairs into my front porch if posible and if not i woulnt use the ak if i could avoid it ill probly go with the 12.
    but yes mostly shtf/ obama dose or dose not get re elected we might need it either way.