I want a Mauser

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by CA357, May 18, 2011.

1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Samco has Yugo 24/47's in excellent condition for $219.

They also have a Swede M38 for $289. and an Oviedo short Spanish Mauser with a turned down bolt in .308 for $169.

I'll be able to afford one next month, but I'm torn. I really like the idea of a short Mauser. I've been wanting a Swede, but ammunition is the most costly of the three I named. The Yugo is a straight bolt, but beautiful and Samco has 8mm Mauser at a really good price.

I mention the Spanish Mauser almost as an afterthought, but it's chambered in .308 and it's the cheapest of the bunch.

There's a fourth alternative, a bent bolt 24/47, but it's not in nearly as nice condition as the straight bolt Yugo.

What do you guys think?

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  2. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I think I'd like to see a link please.:D

3. Fuzzy

Fuzzy New Member

i'd love one too, for sure

4. CA357

BTW Doc, if that Swede is gone, I'll know where to look for it. ;)

5. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Don, the 1916 is based on a 93 Mauser which lacks the third (safety) lug on the bolt. IIRC, those actions were designed to operate at around 40,000-46,000 cup. 7.62x51 goes to about 50,000 cup, while .308Win gets to about 55,000 cup. PROBABLY not a problem to fire .308 from one, but opinions vary. If they are worn and well used, the pressures won't be as high, but each rifle is dif.

The Swedes are awesome, but ammo will cost more than the 8x57. Surplus has all but dried up.

With the availability of surplus 8x57 ammo, I'd get one of the Yugos. It is not a standard length 98 action, but they are great rifles. And when 8x57 dries up, you can rebarrel in .308.

6. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Now i want a short mauser too.. Curse you, haha I will be even further away from my ar now. :)

7. CA357

I've been leaning towards the 24/47 in excellent condition for $219. It's almost too pretty not to buy. I figure I can have a 'smith bend the bolt for cheap and have a sweet shortish Mauser. I can afford the ammo to shoot it and would buy a bunch at the same time.

I think the 8mm should be a reasonably tame round to shoot. I'm a .30-06 guy and don't find any issues with that round. Or am I wrong?

8. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

The Romanian 150gr is sweet shooting. Shoot it all day (but it attracts a magnet). The heavier 196gr stuff has a stouter recoil, but not bad. Check with your local Big5. Mine always sells me their leftover milsurps for the previous sale price. I have scored several times.

You can buy a spare bolt for about $40 and have it bent. But the straight bolts are fine.

9. CA357

I figure to shoot it first before I bend the bolt. Thanks for the tip about buying a spare. It hadn't occurred to me.

10. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Hoosier Gun Works had a good deal on Mauser bolts a while back. They might have one for a Yugo.

11. CA357

I did it. I went ahead and ordered an "excellent" CZ24/47 from Samco just a little while ago. I was concerned that their supply would start to dry up and leave less desirable pickings.

I didn't order a bayonet or any of the accessories. I'm still on a budget and I hope to buy that stuff later.

However, I can only find 196gr. ammunition. I can't find 150gr. so if somebody has a source, please let me know.

12. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I started reading this thread and was hoping to warn you against buying the spanish Mauser & firing commercial ammo in it but M14s beat me to it.

13. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Aim Surplus usually has the Romanin 150gr. I love it. Still have a few cases of it from when it was cheap.

14. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

So if you have 196gr, your all set. Original Ss8x57 was 147gr, and not very accurate. 50gr is allot! I shoot 1949 Turk heavy ball, or Portuguese heavy ball. Lets not forget reloads. 175gr Sierra pro hunters over IMR 4320 is superb. If you bend the bolt on that rifle, I will find the money to fly out and kick your @ss.;)
    It may take over a month to ship, but they are perfect! I paid $129.00 for my 1st and 189.00 for the second. They are nicer then $250.00 examples I see at shops, and are both very unique.

15. CA357

I already decided to leave the bolt alone. :p

I'm going to leave it alone with one possible exception. Depending on how the trigger feels, I might change it out for a Huber Concepts one. I installed one in my Eddystone and it's amazing. Plus, it's easily reversible.

P.S. Thanks Bear and don't worry JP.

16. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I have been 100% happy with the accuracy of the 150gr Rom. Out of my Flaigs sporterized 98 it shot sub MOA. So I bought many, many cases of it. All of my friends like it, too.

17. CA357

Well, it's a good thing I called SAMCO this morning to check on the status of my order. They said they never received the fax of my C&R license. I had a fax confirmation receipt that it went through okay, but apparently it never made it to their end.

So, I faxed it again today and then called to make sure they got it and they did. I had originally ordered the rifle on the nineteenth and now, the wait begins all over.

18. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Must be a left coast thing. Underpowered and ain't worth spit.

19. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I think you got a bad batch. Between us, my buddy and I have about a dozen 8x57 rifles. Hakim, FN49, Rem700Classic, beaucoup Mausers (Sporterized and stock) and they all shoot it great. We have gone through at least a dozen full cases between us and have yet to have a bad round. And it even shoots great at long range, too.

I still have several cases left and wish I had a couple dozen more.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]