I want a Mark III.....

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by winds-of-change, Jul 7, 2011.

1. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I got a bonus at work and want to spend it on a new gun. I want a Mark III. Of course, the exact one I want is at the higher end of the price range. Does it make any sense to pay more just because I want it? I'm sure the Target model would fill the bill for just plinking and target shooting, which is probably all I'll do with it. But I want the looks of the stainless steel Hunter model, the one with the fluted barrel. Any advice you can give me would help me decide. Also, can I put a scope on the shorter barreled pistol? I absolutely don't like the look of the tapered barrel. Would maybe be content with a Target model. I just don't know.

Ruger® Mark III™ Hunter Rimfire Pistol Models

I want the shorter barreled Hunter Model.

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

3. winds-of-change

There you go. PERFECT! Why isn't that gun listed on the Ruger website? That's the look I want at a price I can afford. WOOT!!

See? You guys know more than I do. Keep the suggestions coming.

I see I have a lot more research to do before I go out and buy one, huh? :eek:

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I understand the .22lr, the bull barrel and the comfort.

Why the controls on the Mark III?

If you wanted to build an Amphibian, it makes perfect sense, but I know that's not the case here. ;)

So, why the Ruger?

Have you looked at the Browning Buckmark?

All the controls of any basic semi auto on the market, plus all the benefits of the Ruger.

Just a thought, Lady Winds.

JD

5. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

ive been a ruger fan all the way because its the 22 i grew up with. however i have to aggree that after holding the browning with the nice grip .. and at 370. even tho its not as pretty. its shoots great and isnt ugly by any means.. just not as shiny. i think i will be getting a browning even tho the ruger is sexy. after all. it only has to throw lead down range reliably.

6. winds-of-change

Well, because I've shot and fell in love with Bear's Ruger Mark II. Most everyone I've asked suggested the Ruger over the Browning. But I've never shot a Buckmark so I just don't know. Now, here I am back at square one. :(
    I just don't know what to do.

Please keep the suggestions coming. But I think I want to stick with the Mark II.

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

The Ruger is a quintessential .22lr target pistol. Well built, well thought of by everyone and very adaptable. It's a great piece.

A great piece that comes with a name you are paying for and an aftermarket for members of a small community that are chasing the ultimate bragging rights "suppressed" pistol.

You have great taste, and it won't steer you wrong.

However the mag release, charging of the slide and the slide lock back are all unique to the specific pistol. So learning it backwards, forwards, inside and out doesn't prepare you in 90% of the ways all modern semi auto pistols operate.

So for a training aid? I'd vote no.

For great plinking weapon that will always hold it's value, be fun to shoot, no matter what or who is about, I love them.

Just merely a question as to your future plans for your training based on usage,not a judgement.

We had a Mark II for 20 years in our house growing up. My sister still has it in her house today. :)

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive got a ruger mk2 target model stainless sladside with 5 mags, black aluminum grips, case, drilled tapped for scope, scope mount, and original target molded wood grips right hand shelf.

yours for 250$

its looking for a good home as i bought a mk3 22/45 threaded one

plus you can even try it before you buy if you want.

not my particular gun as mine is in better condition and has volquartsen target trigger/sear just ripped a sample pic off google

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  9. winds-of-change

Hmm....tempting offer, indeed. I think that's exactly what Bear has. Let me think.......

10. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Have you shot the Mark III before? If so, try one for a while. I get gas blowback from them and have been hit in the eye more than once while shooting them. It burns. That said, they are very reliable and most people don't seem to have the issue and if you use glasses like I should, you would have no issues.

Oh and if you don't buy that one from JonM, I might just because that's an awesome deal for that gun.

11. winds-of-change

I just might want Jon's gun. I'm consulting my go to gun guy. If I bought Jon's gun then I'd have enough for a scope, too.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dug it out of the back of the safe took some quick pics its got the black aluminum grips on atm

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

its got a cheap red dot scope with more parralax than mr magoo the previous owner put on it. i think it is a 2$ walmart scope. i got tighter groups with my eyes closed than using the scope it came with lol. but it goes with the gun.

and yes the mainspring housing isnt currently in it atm of the pics.

14. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Jump on that from Jon before I do! That's a great deal!

15. winds-of-change

Jon, consider that gun sold to WoC. Is there any problem me buying it from you in Wisconsin and me living in Illinois? I'll pm you my phone number and we can make arrangements for me to come pick it up.

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

illinois is strange with handgun regs may have to go thru a ill ffl but im not certain ill consult the google oracle right quick

illinois state police:
    yeah we gotta involve a ffl in your state. i gotta give it to them then they give it to you after the paperwork and waiting period. so it would be 250+ your xfer fee i know there is one just a hair on the illinois side on sheridan road just south of kenosha with indoor range. or any ffl of your choosing as you gotta deal with the illinois BS

so if you want to run some rounds through it first im willing to meet up just about any fri-sun

17. winds-of-change

Also, I wonder what I have to do after I buy it. Do I have to 'register' it anywhere here in Illinois. The first gun I bought was from a gun shop in Illinois and they did the paperwork. I'll call them tomorrow and see what they have to say.

18. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

save you the trip...it's a federal law, FFL required for interstate gun sales.

WOC...if Jon ships it to the same gun shop they will do all the required paperwork for you, for a fee.

http://chris.cc/interstate.htm

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

from what i understand i can just drop it off at her ffl save some shipping costs. we dont live that far away and i drive the trans am for fun on weekends :)

you will have to go through the paperwork foid stuff and waiting period just like you did for your revolver. if you were in wis it wouldnt be an issue heh

20. winds-of-change

I'll call the gun shop tomorrow. It's one near Rockford, Illinois called "The Bullet Stop". Bullet Stop Gun Shop - 815-654-7550 - Illinois store Home That would be the most convenient for me. The one your talking about, Jon, I believe is in Winthrop Harbor, Illinois. We could do it either way. Is it a pain to ship it to the Rockford area?