I want a 308 rifle but do not know which 1 to get

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by ROLOMALDA, Nov 13, 2011.

1. ROLOMALDA

ROLOMALDA New Member

I have an a r 15 armalite but I want a rifle with a bigger caliber like a 308 I was looking at the ruger gun sight scout rifle if anyone have any suggestions on which rifle should I get please let me know thank you

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

What do you want to do with it? What kind of action do you want? What is your budget? :confused: There are semi autos, bolts, levers, single shots and if you have the coin you can get a full auto too.

3. ROLOMALDA

ROLOMALDA New Member

I will like a semi auto like a m 14 but they are out of my budget I like a bolt action with a box magazine like the ruger gun sight it got a fair price on it but don't know very much about them I want it for hunting long range shooting you know stuff like that

4. Kodeman

Kodeman Member

Remington 700 Bolt action!!

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

for long range shooting you can rule out the ruger cant mount a regular scope without a lot of working around that forward rail.

savage model 10, remington 700, rra LAR8 all excellent 308 rifles

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

also check out the Savage Axis and the Marlin XS7 or the XS7VH in 308. :D

7. tenntyrant

tenntyrant New Member

What about the weatherby vanguard 2 I just got one and the reviews are great and the price is also.

8. fireguy

fireguy New Member

The Ruger Gunsite scout rifle has some appeal to me. Lighter than my heavy, long barreled Howa, box mag, forward scope with long eye relief, etc. It would not be a very good long range rifle, meaning 400 plus yards because of the shorter barrel and the previous mentioned dificulties mounting a scope that is optimal for that kind of shooting. I'm sure you could hit targets at long range, maybe just not bullseyes.
    There are many good options for a rifle that would shoot farther better than the Ruger, Savage, Mossberg, Rem, Howa, Browning. Some are very affordable.

9. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I was at dicks sporting goods today and noticed they had the savage axis in camo on sale for $329 it had a cheapo 3x9x40 scope on it but atleast it already has the platform for a better scope , , 5 shot magazine , it cames in several different calibers . .223, .243, .270, .308 and 30.06 , not sure if it came in 22-250 or not ,the bolt action was really really smooth which surprised me after handling the Tikka T3 which was not smooth on any caliber I picked up .
    It doesnt have the accu trigger but I hear its really smooth , I couldnt dry fire it due to their locks on the gun , I tried to get the .223 while I was there but they had the last on on the counter already sold to the guy in front of me , He said they sold 5 of the .223 today . For that cheap I dont think it really can be beat by much of anything else . And we all know savage makes decent guns :D

10. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Try the marlin xs7 it has a killer trigger fully adjusts, very accurate an its 320 bucks

11. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Get a Enfield 2A or 2A1.

12. ROLOMALDA

ROLOMALDA New Member

Thank you for all the information ya have provided I found a savage axis whit dual pillar bedding detachable box magazine real smooth bolt operation in a scope combo in 308 and other calibers for the price of $299.99 in Dunham's sports it was 400 dollars what do ya think about this rifle I am not set on a 308 if ya think there is a other caliber I should be looking at please let me know thank you

13. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I don't think you can go wrong with the Savage 110 or 10 models or the Remington 700 series. I hear the Remington 770 mentioned now and then. It is their current low-end rifle but I haven't heard much good about it. The .308 is a great cartridge with a lot of versatility and you can get good accuracy out of some very ordinary rifles.

14. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

buy it! thats a good price

15. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

You can buy the Stevens 200 with adjustable trigger for the same price. Its IMHO a better gun than the Axis.

16. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Get the marlin xs7 or x7hv. The xl7 is another really great gun. I shot a doe w mine in 270 saturday at 450 yards in the side of the head w NO problems.

17. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Picking mine up tonight when I get off of work . I purchased the .223 to plink long range with and drop a few yotes this winter . Im going to take that Dunhams flyer with me on my phone and try to get another $30 off there ad price . i can use that $30 for some ammo and get ready to get going with it :D

18. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

if you want or don't mind the weight, the Marlin XS7VH has a 26" heavy barrel that shoots great. i opted for this one in the 308 over the standard version. they also offer the XS7VH in 22-250. :)