I wanna squirrel hunt

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by woody63m, Jan 20, 2012.

1. woody63m

woody63m New Member

O im stationed at ft eustis va and im on terminal leave waiting to start my medical retirement. Im tired of sitting around and watching tv when i dont have an appointment with my surgeons or doctor i really want to shoot some tree rats anybody no of a plave not to far away that i can do this. I wish i could do it at the aparments i live at because there friggin huge but i dont wanna get in trouble HELP ME PLEASE.

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

If you don't find a place, you could consider a good pellet rifle for use at the apartments. All the same firearm safety laws apply. Shoot from the window where no one can see you and panic.

If the local laws allow. I suspect C3 would know all about that, he lives in Virginia.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012

3. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Although by askin him you might owe the old grump a few tree rats or a six pack;)

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Ah, Woody me lad- ye should have asked SOONER!

And it is trouble you would be in for certain- In Virginia, those tree rats are considered GAME.
    As in Dept of Game and Inland Fisheries.
    As in Game Warden.
    As in Perch Police.
    As in Squirrel Sheriff.
    As in season will end 29 Feb.
    As in "Could you please loosen these handcuffs just a little?" :p

You WILL need a small game hunting license. PM going out to you.

5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

6. woody63m

woody63m New Member

So C3 i went to the vwma you told me about and not a single tree rat im gonna try again some

7. orangello

orangello New Member

That's what they say here, but i have thoroughly enjoyed sending many to squirrel heaven, both in the yard "in town" and in the woods. In the yard, you want to make sure you can show some "squirrel damage" to your home or "crops". However if you plan to dine on them, you should be aware that the town squirrels don't limit themselves to the food sources used by their "cleaner living" country relatives. Your mileage may vary given our geographical dispersion.

Don't forget to protect your nuts.
    :D

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Sorry, Woody- as I said- it is late in the season. But you got a day in the woods out of it, so should not be a total loss.

9. downsouth

downsouth New Member

This spring get familar with the woods you are going to be hunting in. Look for nut bearing trees. Hickories seem to like ridgelines, atleast thats where I've notice downhere. Acorn producing oak trees. After the nuts and acorns, squirels like large pine trees for the cones. Maybe the land borders a cornfield.

For me shooting a squirel is a bonus for being in a setting that is nice. Good luck.

10. woody63m

woody63m New Member

True it was enjoyable

11. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

You in va? I live in tidewater area, Newport news. here we got thousands upon thousands of fat tree rats, some the size of cats I kid you not. Taken dozens in my backyard on the same day. They just keep coming its crazy. Pellet gun for low noise....

12. woody63m

woody63m New Member

im stationed at ft eustis I live down the road from the main gate

13. orangello

orangello New Member

MKAY, chilling out back by the old oak tree with a air rifle might not be well received by the gate peeps. Sorry, didn't realize proximity.

14. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

I gotcha, go out the main gate( on ft eustis blvd.) Heading toward jefferson, as soon as you pass over waterworks bridge. You can park on roadside there. Now you can go on that side or other.id recommend the othet side away from the water works plant, there are railroad tracks that run inbetween the resevior(watch for rangers. And trains. Once past the lil spillway/dam you can go left or right, I've been right, nobody back there, bring air rifle, maybe some paper targets just in case your stopped you can claim going target shooting in woods. one other way is to rent canoe at Newport news park( on jefferson, past ft eustis) go under bridge (jefferson ) head slight left striaght towards the spillway box on oppisite shore once close theres a lil cove on the right, tie up. The woods back there crawling w tree rays, no people. Recommend going by boat, one its fun, scenic. Two you can avoid the tracks, which since 9/11 they are very sensitive about. Hope this helps, not but a mile from you, beautiful woods to boot. Happy hunting....

15. tCan

tCan Active Member

Hey! Good luck with your future hunt. Bagging tree rats is a real thrill! Takes a good shooter to do it properly. And a good cook too!

Screw what the gate keepers think. Enjoy life! Go bag some squirrels!