I Thought It Was Too Early For This.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by gorknoids, Mar 21, 2010.

1. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Just pulled a deer tick off my shin. Gently crushed it with a dime on a note pad and looked at it closely before doing an ID search on the interwebz. First pic I found just happened to have them beside a...........dime.
    [​IMG]

I had Lyme disease a couple of years ago, and it absolutely sucks, so I'm not happy about finding the little bastard. I AM happy that I'm being treated for diverticulosis, which consists of 2 antibiotics, so I already beat the bloodsuckers.

This time.

Wear insect repellant, folks.

2. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Ticks are usually more active in warm weather(starting around April), but can be active at any time. Even in the Winter as long as temp is above 35 degrees. They Die at the end of their 2 year life cycle.

When treating your yard pay close attention to the Ecotones.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010

3. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

Years ago in So.Cal. , we had fleas, ticks and chiggers (red bug).. The chiggers are the worst IMO.. But dang, Lyme disease ?. You aren't kidding about the bug spray.. We used Off regular scent. 1 can per visit to the woods. And stunk for a week..

Glad to hear you are "immortal" now and still here..

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I hope this year isn't a repeat of last year. In the south the ticks and spiders were TERRIBLE.

5. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Critters are very bad around here, we have lots of ticks,mosquitos, and fleas.

Once while hunting with snow on the ground I stepped on a copperhead. It was alive, but not too perky. It just slowly crawled off, but that was strange.

Yes, wear repellent folks!

6. planenut

planenut New Member

What repellent do you reccomend?

7. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

8. planenut

planenut New Member

Thanks, will have to get some...

9. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Ticks can be nasty buggers. Sorry to hear you had to battle Lyme disease, gork - that's truly incapacitating for some unlucky victims. Glad you came out of it OK (eventually!)

I got a paralysis tick on my scalp when I was 3 yrs old; it was very fortunate my mother noticed and got it off in time with a pair of pliers, or I could have easily died. They are pretty lethal on young children, if undetected...and every summer people's pets get taken out by them.

10. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

You're not kidding brother:mad: Couple years ago it was fire ants for me. Last year damn spiders.

11. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Sat out with the dog in the lawn. We have finally thawed from one of the top 5 worst snows in state history, and there he was, crawling across the blanket.

I hate those damn things.

12. markerdown

markerdown New Member

Damn, I hates those little bastages. The only upside about the southwest is there ain't a whole lot of ticks.

Black widows, scorpions, rattle snakes and mojave greens are the downside .......................markerdown