I thought I knew.

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Flat4sti, May 13, 2010.

1. Flat4sti

Flat4sti New Member

So I am in the market to buy a 1st handgun. I thought i had it narrowed down to the Beretta PX4 .40. Now i shot my buddies USP 40. and a p2000. I really dont want to break the bank anymore than i have to. But i am second guessing myself on the px4. I don't know help me out. I trust everyone's opinion and want to hear them. Guns i have shot glock 17, springfield xd, hk usp and p2000 and the px4.

2. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

3. General_lee

General_lee New Member

It pretty much comes down to what you feel the most comfortable with.
    For instance, I know HK is a quality gun, but I don't like them because they're uncomfortable to me.. I prefer the Springfield XD over any plastic gun out there.
    All those you mentioned are good brands. Nobody can really tell you what YOU should get, we can only recommend what we like. What feels good in my hand might feel like a brick in yours. Just ask yourself, "what feels the best in my hand?" "What am I the most accurrate with?" and "How much am I willing to spend?"

Now, before anybody else says it, let me be the first to say if you want a REAL gun, get a 1911...or a Sigma:D

4. Flat4sti

Flat4sti New Member

haha I was waiting for somebody to tell me to get 1911. for one right now i will be shooting a lot and ammo cost plays into factor. and two that is next on the list, i assure you.

i don't like that the xd and the glock don't have the hammer.
    i dont plan on carrying.

5. Shihan

If you want a hammer, why not look at a Ruger P95. Rugged reliability. And a Price that is nice.

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

IMHO the USP is the most accurate D/A .40 cal pistol available. The grip is not for everyone. I like it, but I have rather large hands. The draw backs are the mag release can be accidentally bumped while firing. The mags are the only ones I know of that can be inserted backwards under stress.

The Sigma feels more natural than nearly any pistol I have ever handled, but the trigger takes a great deal of practice to get used to (or sucks, depending on who you talk to).

The new Sigma/M&P hybrid looks interesting.

7. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Did he just put a 1911 and a Sigma in the same group???? :confused:

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, kinda like putting Geo and Cadillac in same group, huh?

9. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

He sure did. Anything other than a Springer is just an "Also-Ran".

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Try to get to a range that rents handguns. Do not keep a closed mind. I think of a handgun as a tool. If I "just use it once in a while", I can get it at Harbor Freight. If I plan to use it a lot, I purchase the best possible. One quality handgun, on a proven platform, that I can get repaired easily (should it break) is what I would look for. Now some are going to say that I am talking about the 1911 (true), but S&W revolvers could also be in the same category. I like the Ed Brown handguns (have one), but I also have an RIA (with others in between). I have several S&W's. What works for you may not be the latest and greatest.

11. NGIB

NGIB New Member

If you want reasonably priced with an external hammer - look at the FNP series. I had one and it was a very nice gun. Currently, Top Gun Supply has them for $399 and they come with 3-16 round mags (only in the dark earth frame though). They also have the CZ P-01 alloy frame for $459 and it's also a very nice gun with a great reputation (had one of these for a time also).

While HKs are great guns, I've always found them to be to pricey - but that's just my opinion...

FN - Top Gun Supply

http://www.topgunsupply.com/cz-handguns/

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  12. Shihan

I think I just got a great endorsement from the ROBO himself. Sweet new Signature provided, thanks. Go Sigma, I am very interested in finding out about the new S&W SD9.

13. General_lee

General_lee New Member

LMAO..Yeah I did:p

14. Shihan

That puts the 1911 in good Company.:D

15. Flat4sti

Flat4sti New Member

I have decided on something...now comes the hard part, the wait. I'll post some pictures in about a week.

16. Shihan

The wait, you're gonna wait to tell us what you got.:eek: That is just cruel.
    Spill the beans.

17. Flat4sti

Flat4sti New Member

I know the suspense must be driving you crazy. I might go on to think that you will be just as anxious as me for the next week. I will say that i have shot bout 75 rounds through it and it feels so good. I am one of those who does my research in everything spend my hard earned money on. I shot most of what i was considering and I know I will be very happy with it, at least i get myself a real pistol, haha 1911 jokes I love em. I got it in a .40, I was thinking a 9mm but kind of gave in to my peer pressure by my real good friends. Besides we can get ammo in bulk. But you know it feels really good to exercise my 2nd amendment right as an American.

18. Shihan

What in the world are you doing? Give up the Info. All you told us was .40,, that is just not right.:D

19. WDB

WDB New Member

I lost the thrill at .40, I expect it's a Beretta but honestly I lost interest. I own a couple (FNP-40 and a Ruger P-94). I enjoy both and will stay with me but in hindsight should have went with 9mm or .45 depending on the use. No need to stradle the fence on a mid range snappy round IMHO.

20. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The .40 is not a bad choice (most LE in my area carries it). In not asking your choice of firearm, would you be willing to expose the ones you turned down and the reason for your rejection? Just curious. Thanks.